Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:08 PM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, San Lazzaro di Savena
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
The main problem is about size and visibility of a f3b plane, we can manage the pilot workload, not a main problem.
In the wind it's easy go very far from the pilot...we need some reflex paint.
I hope to see optimized design f3j plane for wind.
mverardi is offline Find More Posts by mverardi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:29 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,561 Posts
I do the same as I do with my DLGs when I have to go deep downwind. I follow them by foot. In the fly offs I walked about 600m downwind, keeping the plane in the limit of my eyesight.

In case of a land out far away, this gives you also a better understanding what the landing area there might be.

But you are correct, when you fly vertically to the limit of sight, those big J ships are better visible simply due to their larger chord.

I remain with my opinion that the Fosa Lift makes a good wind J plane, maybe with a lighter lay up and fuorescent orange wings some of the mentioned shortcomings could be overcome. But I am not an expert in F3J and will mainly use the plane for F3B.

Best,
Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Mar 31, 2014, 01:46 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mverardi View Post
I hope to see optimized design f3j plane for wind.
On sunday I was out with Egida and old double carbon Aspire. It was windy. In fact, previous weeks it has been windy all the time...

Egida is ok in wind, but I have not yet seen better strong wind plane than heavy and strong Aspire. It launches well, moves well with ballast and is easy to see from distance. This is also most pilot friendly Aspire I have had - and it has good elevator control!!! Faster airspeed and higher reynolds???

Only problem is that being 2.45kg empty it is not fun or efficient to fly in below 5m/s winds. Aspire is also large and pulls very hard in launch. Can break 1.5mm line.

My experience with Egida makes me think that a plane with faster low lift wing and little less area would be more easy to launch. And with v-tail there is less drag in high speeds, higher zooms. Maybe Baudis should make Vixen "windy" with Fosa lift airfoils Or then just strong version Vixen with plenty of ballast???
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Apr 01, 2014, 08:36 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
Maybe Baudis should make Vixen "windy" with Fosa lift airfoils Or then just strong version Vixen with plenty of ballast???
I don't know Tuomo, the Vixen is certainly strong enough for wind (Jiri's F3B background), and it LOVES to carry ballast. When the wind is up at the field I fly, it's always cross, and always turbulent. That's when I break out the Vixen and the ballast.

I'm always torn between an optimum windy weather J model design. It's hard to beat span for efficiency, and chord for vis. But then you watch TK launch his B models to the moon in the wind. A B model is certainly not optimized for the J task though.

I'm still partial to span, chord, and a speedy section in wind.
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:14 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
I don't know Tuomo, the Vixen is certainly strong enough for wind (Jiri's F3B background), and it LOVES to carry ballast. When the wind is up at the field I fly, it's always cross, and always turbulent. That's when I break out the Vixen and the ballast.

I'm always torn between an optimum windy weather J model design. It's hard to beat span for efficiency, and chord for vis. But then you watch TK launch his B models to the moon in the wind. A B model is certainly not optimized for the J task though.

I'm still partial to span, chord, and a speedy section in wind.
My comments was not about the strength but rather about airfoils (This is Fosa Lift discussion). High lift F3J designs can be flown in wind when ballasted enough. But as Massimo wrote earlier, there are no specialized windy weather F3J designs. In fact, thinking of what has happened during the past 10 years, I think almost all current F3J planes are more or less designed with light air in mind.

Over here spring is the windy season. With monster thermals An optimum windy weather F3J plane would be so nice to have. But I do not know if there is enough market for such plane.... I am afraid most pilots would pass that thinking that really windy competitions happen only once or twice a year.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Apr 07, 2014, 10:23 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
My comments was not about the strength but rather about airfoils (This is Fosa Lift discussion). High lift F3J designs can be flown in wind when ballasted enough. But as Massimo wrote earlier, there are no specialized windy weather F3J designs. In fact, thinking of what has happened during the past 10 years, I think almost all current F3J planes are more or less designed with light air in mind.

Over here spring is the windy season. With monster thermals An optimum windy weather F3J plane would be so nice to have. But I do not know if there is enough market for such plane.... I am afraid most pilots would pass that thinking that really windy competitions happen only once or twice a year.
When someone brings out a sniper model designed for a specific condition and is rewarded with a major win you will see demand increase. Consumer demand is what drove the J and TD models into the SL range.

Given that many J models are not into the high 50 and low 60 oz it no wonder people are looking at the Fosa lift. I liked mine but I felt it was too much of a divergent approach though I wish I could have taken it to a slope before it sold Hell I wish I could just hold on to all these models but they add up fast!
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution