Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
60 Posts
Discussion
glow fuel question

I picked up a gallon of omega castor /synthetic - 10% fuel for my OS65LA , its 10% nitro and 17% lube , I can't find out anywhere what the methanol content is.

.The book that came with my engine says not to use a fuel with less than 18% lubricant and to have 75 to 65% methanol and preferably 20 % castor .

The hobby guy told me I had the right fuel , whats the scoop ?
LAKEFLY is offline Find More Posts by LAKEFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:03 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,051 Posts
Everything that is not nitro or oil IS alcohol. So if you have 10% nitro and 17% lube (which is pretty standard fuel) then what is left is 73% methanol.
Nowhere does fuel advertise the alcohol content, only the nitro and sometimes the lube, but not always the lube percentages either. What you have is fine. Enjoy
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Last edited by Fokker DII; Feb 17, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: sp
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:24 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,169 Posts
Let me help you understand glow fuel......methanol is the fuel.....oil of course is the lube...oil not only lubes parts but carries away heat.....and nitro is an oxidizer that helps the burn...after all burning anything is the rapid oxidization of the fuel.....
So this means that the more nitro the hotter the burn...that is why 30% heli fuel has such a high oil content....I didn't say more power necessairly...I said a hotter burn......
The fuel you have is fine....everyone has been burning it for years
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Oct 2011
60 Posts
Thanks guys , that makes sense , now even though it says castor/synthetic will it have a tolerance for a lean burn ? I was told a synthetic doesn't tolerate a lean mixture as well as regular plain castor fuel , is this the best of both worlds ?

And what about OS wanting a minimum of 18% lube and up to 20 % could I add more castor since this fuel is only 17% .

I know real newbie questions

Just seems like the engine manufactures and fuel companies aren't getting together on this one .
LAKEFLY is offline Find More Posts by LAKEFLY
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:28 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,334 Posts
well lakefly!

I'm old school, from when synthetic was new and castor was the norm!

I wouldn't break-in any fourstroke unless it had 20% castor!

ok that being said, your OS LA engine is a great SPORT engine, and will do just fine on a blend! and that 1% 17 instead of 18% isn;t gonna hurt anything!

just be kind ta your new engine, and fly her 1/2 ta 3/4 throttle for atleast four tanks six even and that engine will last ya years!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Nitro is not an oxidizer. It is a fuel that just requires less oxygen to burn.

You need 1.7 pounds of air per pound of nitromethane for complete combustion.

So, for the same amount of air in the cylinder, you can use more fuel, which produces more power.

Nitromethane does not burn hotter either. The reason heli fuel needs so much oil is that a heli engine is running at close to full power output all the time, the average load versus running time is much higher on the heli engine. And it only has the fan to blow air, not the larger prop plus the speed of the plane.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, GA, Thomasville
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Can you use one fuel that will perform well with 2 and 4 stoke engines?
SSKILLER is offline Find More Posts by SSKILLER
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
I use the same 10% fuel in my 4 and 2s.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
There's only a small handful of domestic fuel sellers who have product that actually meet (or exceed) ALL of OS's manual spec's for the LA engines -- Morgan is NOT one of those, nor is Byron or Wildcat.

Sig and Fox both sell higher oil content fuels with some castor that can meet OS's spec.

As a practical matter, you'll probably wind up taking whatever you can find locally and dosing a gallon with some added castor oil to bring it up to spec.

10% nitro is plenty for the LA series. They'll run perfectly well with 5% nitro or even 0% nitro. I have a carefully broken in LA .46 that's beast running 80/20 zero nitro FAI fuel I mix myself.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012