Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:30 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzykim View Post
Hi folks,

I'm having some problems with a new Lexar 16GB Class4 card under Linux, the OS can't see the camera as an external card reader with this card, although it works fine with a Samsung 8GB card. Both cards work fine in Windows7 and XP.

Not trying to clog up the thread (I've been through all the formatting options with the OS gurus) so, is there a link to the older firmwares for the camera, I'd like to try the 0.49 or earlier as a last resort before buying another card?

Thanks.
There's no link to old firmware, but if you PM me with your email address I can email it to you. But quite honestly, you'll be getting obsolete FW and lack a lot of the upgrades. Your choice of course.

I assume you've rule out the possibility of a bad USB cable or port on your Linux PC causing the problem?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:06 AM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzykim View Post
Hi folks,

I'm having some problems with a new Lexar 16GB Class4 card under Linux, the OS can't see the camera as an external card reader with this card, although it works fine with a Samsung 8GB card. Both cards work fine in Windows7 and XP.

Not trying to clog up the thread (I've been through all the formatting options with the OS gurus) so, is there a link to the older firmwares for the camera, I'd like to try the 0.49 or earlier as a last resort before buying another card?

Thanks.
Hi Kim,

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago with a class 4 4GB Lexar card.

The card worked perfectly after changing its label to VOLUME1, but after reformatting the card with the in-camera format function, it became invisible to Linux. It looks like a combination of both in-camera formatting and Linux; strange. I could not figure out why.

So far, the only cards that have worked flawlessly under Linux are Kingston class 4 cards of any size. These are the cards sold by the #16 certified sellers.

[edit]My personnal recommendation to anyone buying a #16 camera: buy the camera with the microSD card (and spare cards as required) from the #16 certified sellers. You will avoid a lot of headaches and frustration.[/edit]
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Last edited by therau2000; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add recommendation
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:28 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,924 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Tom.
I suspected a problem with that lens but wondered if I was right or not.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
Hi Kim,

So far, the only cards that have worked flawlessly under Linux are Kingston class 4 cards of any size. These are the cards sold by the #16 certified sellers.

[edit]My personnal recommendation to anyone buying a #16 camera: buy the camera with the microSD card (and spare cards as required) from the #16 certified sellers. You will avoid a lot of headaches and frustration.[/edit]
Thanks, that's worth knowing before I buy another card.

I tried various formatting methods, both Windows card specific formatters and GParted, as well as the in cam formatter, the Linux OS couldn't see the card although Win7/XP were fine. Zeroed the MBR and everything else that the Linux forum could think of ???
Also tried different USB ports and cables of course.

Note, the 16GB card works OK in the camera and records video/stills no problem.
cozzykim is offline Find More Posts by cozzykim
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
HD 808 #16 FW Source Code?

Is the Firmware source code available? It would help me to minimize hardware mods for what I want to do. I'm a software engineer and I'd like to customize the firmware to meet my needs and share the results with group. There are many mods I'd like to make but these are the top ones.
1. Create a store and forward scenario where I can copy the files from the SD card while the 808 is recording another file, or recognize that the camera is in standby mode (motion detection) and copy the files off then.
1a. Alternatively write the files to a locally mounted remote filesystem, or via Bluetooth possibly with a modified SD card.
2. Mount the two buttons remotely via wire. Add hardware controls (buttons) to change the lighting mode (day, night).

I know these may require some hardware mods. I plan to use the power on record mod already done by another member.
dey999 is offline Find More Posts by dey999
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
If you have a multimeter, hook it up and watch the voltage with the camera running. I would guess the voltage is dropping under load, causing the camera to shut down. Is it a new Lipo? If not be aware that these small cells 'age' pretty quickly ... I've just had to throw away a bunch of 70/110/120s that charged fine but would no longer deliver any useful current.

I'm always a bit doubtful when I see ratings like '25C' applied to tiny cells. Would a 70 mAh really give 1.75A continuous current for over 2 minutes?
very good point. the 30mAh batteries are almost brand new, but the 70mAh I tried is a few months old. I actually had 3 of 70mAh batteries, but when I took them out the other day 2 were puffed and toast. I'm thinking the last one could be junk too even though it took a charge just fine.

I too think the ratings on many of these smaller batteries are a little generous. like these 300mAh nano-techs I own rated at 45C/90C!

unfortunately I don't currently own a multimeter, only one of these quick meters

anyways today I tried some brand new 350mAh flight batteries and hooked the camera up to share the battery. I got just over 7 min recording flying indoors before the camera shut off, and the battery was good to fly for another minute or so. since I don't have to additional weight of a second battery I think I'll stick with this method for now. I'm hoping outdoors with more spirited flight I'll get 5 min which is good, just worried about voltage drops shutting off the camera since I will be using more throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
BA, in all my recent videos I'm using a 90 mAh battery out of a Symma IR (I think I sent the link before). I have absolutely no problems with this battery running the full length of my runs. You're right about the weight. 3 grams shed off the quad itself makes it feel like a completely different quad.
I saw your setup, it appears to fly nicely with the added weight. what's your AUW? I'm thinking a little less than mine. I'm using my Ladybird v1 with as much weight spared as I can reasonably come up with. right now I'm at 41.9g including the 350mAh flight battery that I'm also using to power the camera at the moment (see above).
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:54 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dey999 View Post
Is the Firmware source code available? It would help me to minimize hardware mods for what I want to do. I'm a software engineer and I'd like to customize the firmware to meet my needs and share the results with group. There are many mods I'd like to make but these are the top ones.
1. Create a store and forward scenario where I can copy the files from the SD card while the 808 is recording another file, or recognize that the camera is in standby mode (motion detection) and copy the files off then.
1a. Alternatively write the files to a locally mounted remote filesystem, or via Bluetooth possibly with a modified SD card.
2. Mount the two buttons remotely via wire. Add hardware controls (buttons) to change the lighting mode (day, night).

I know these may require some hardware mods. I plan to use the power on record mod already done by another member.
This question has beed asked and answered several times, I suggest you used advances search in this thread, and in the part1 thread (pointed to in Posting 1) as requested in the Thread Title ).
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:07 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
very good point. the 30mAh batteries are almost brand new, but the 70mAh I tried is a few months old. I actually had 3 of 70mAh batteries, but when I took them out the other day 2 were puffed and toast. I'm thinking the last one could be junk too even though it took a charge just fine.

I too think the ratings on many of these smaller batteries are a little generous. like these 300mAh nano-techs I own rated at 45C/90C!

unfortunately I don't currently own a multimeter, only one of these quick meters
a multimeter is not expensive, and very useful here are typical units with typical prices in USA
Quote:

anyways today I tried some brand new 350mAh flight batteries and hooked the camera up to share the battery. I got just over 7 min recording flying indoors before the camera shut off, and the battery was good to fly for another minute or so. since I don't have to additional weight of a second battery I think I'll stick with this method for now. I'm hoping outdoors with more spirited flight I'll get 5 min which is good, just worried about voltage drops shutting off the camera since I will be using more throttle.

I saw your setup, it appears to fly nicely with the added weight. what's your AUW? I'm thinking a little less than mine. I'm using my Ladybird v1 with as much weight spared as I can reasonably come up with. right now I'm at 41.9g including the 350mAh flight battery that I'm also using to power the camera at the moment (see above).
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:09 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
My V202-H36 hybrid with camera and 90 mAh battery weighs 37.5 grams.
Quad itself 26.5 with canopy and gutted camera is 11 grams with 90 mAh battery. Main battery is another 8-9 grams depending on which one I use.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:32 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meitzi View Post
I find out B will give me around +1 volt so this is my try.
(I find it later, it was not solid, discuss below)
Because you have some electronic knowledge compared to me, please think at this:
- if you can find a way to Power the camera and shut it down only depending on the 5V input, maybe you can add some small relay or something very small component.
5V > # > Power on and automatic start recording
- to not make this mod permanent, maybe you want to use the camera normal mode, just put instead the reset button some small ON/OFF button. When you press in, the camera to work in charging detecting mode, when you release it, the camera to work in normal mode. Or if you want to let the reset button there, to make another small hole in the camera to insert a needle when you want to action the new button. I don't like any mod which is destroying the looking of my camera.

If you want to automatic record when you are moving with the camera, maybe if possible to add some tiny G Sensor with 5V input and the out to create contact between X and A when there is 5V and motion.

But for any mod should be used to avoid using the battery. Is not good any solution which will consume the internal battery because no more 5V.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:54 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,775 Posts
Well it seems the ca on the lens didn't cause any issues.. The Haziness after that was just a dirty lens..
V959 FPV with the birds (and other kids) (10 min 45 sec)
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:58 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
417 Posts
aMCA - Android Mobile Configuration Assistant for #16 Camera

aMCA - Android Mobile Configuration Assistant has landed.

Yes, aMCA is now the official designation.

That leaves the door opened for iMCA, uMCA, wMCA, etc.
Whether or not these materialize will depend on the amount of support I will be getting from the #16 User community.
So time will tell.

aMCA - Android Mobile Configuration Assistant for #16 Camera (8 min 49 sec)

aMCA - Android Mobile Configuration Assistant - for #16 Camera (8 min 49 sec)

A fully functional demo aMCA is now available for download.

therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Last edited by therau2000; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:54 PM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
176 Posts
aMCA for your mobile device

I have this App installed on my Asus TF101(Transformer) tablet and used it yesterday at the flying club to change the settings on my #16 HD keycam. It is intuitive and easy to use. If you have the #16 and don't want to lug your laptop around this is a must have App.

Try it, you'll like it.

Rob Bode
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
Last edited by bluecnc; Feb 04, 2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: correcting bad grammar
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Ingleburn
Joined Dec 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
aMCA - Android Mobile Configuration Assistant has landed.

Yes, aMCA is now the official designation.

That leaves the door opened for iMCA, uMCA, wMCA, etc.
Whether or not these materialize will depend on the amount of support I will be getting from the #16 User community.
So time will tell.

A fully functional demo aMCA is now available for download.

Its great that you have spent the time to do this. Great idea.
As it wont work with the latest firmware I dont know how many people can try it out unless they roll back to an earlier version. Pity because I was looking forward to trying it out. Maybe an update coming soon?
ingleburn is offline Find More Posts by ingleburn
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
just got one of these cams and have 4xAA box so i want to do what i saw here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2161

is the voltage a problem with this setup as 4 charged nimh is about 5.6v?
geeroy is offline Find More Posts by geeroy