Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metman View Post
Hi All...

Just got my 16 with the red lens from Santa, whom I carefully educated. Did my homework, downloaded the GUI, got a Lexar 16 GB Class 4, charged it up, connected fine, did the format via the GUI, then it told me the firmware was out of date and to download it which I did and I followed the instructions in the software exactly. I tried to anyway, but the GUI page never exited automatically and I was left with a mystery as the camera would no longer turn on or connect. I did the reset procedure several times and that apparently didn't work either.

Now, on power up with the card in, I get a short burst of yellow flashing, then about 10 seconds later a red single flash and then nothing. My PC and GUI don't recognize it any longer.

Pressing reset, waiting 15 seconds, then powering up with the card out, the red flashes once and then nothing, whether connected to the PC or not.

I'm no expert but it seems the firmware either got corrupted or interrupted???
Is there a way to restart the whole process?

This light pattern behaviour isn't described in the manual, so I"m asking very kindly if anyone can tell me what it means?

Thanks muchly

Fred
Try shutting off the camera, removing the SC card and then starting the camera again, it should blink and ask for an SC card...insert the SC card and then connect the camera to your PC. It should open on your PC as a removable disk, you should be able to see the firmware file and manually delete it from the root directory on the card.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Hi All...

Just got my 16 with the red lens from Santa, whom I carefully educated. Did my homework, downloaded the GUI, got a Lexar 16 GB Class 4, charged it up, connected fine, did the format via the GUI, then it told me the firmware was out of date and to download it which I did and I followed the instructions in the software exactly. I tried to anyway, but the GUI page never exited automatically and I was left with a mystery as the camera would no longer turn on or connect. I did the reset procedure several times and that apparently didn't work either.

Now, on power up with the card in, I get a short burst of yellow flashing, then about 10 seconds later a red single flash and then nothing. My PC and GUI don't recognize it any longer.

Pressing reset, waiting 15 seconds, then powering up with the card out, the red flashes once and then nothing, whether connected to the PC or not.

This light pattern behaviour isn't described in the manual, so I"m asking very kindly if anyone can tell me what it means?

Thanks muchly

Fred
You probably didn't follow the instructions exactly and started pressing buttons too quickly when you turned on the camera to load the FW (a common mistake).

Since the camera won't connect as a USB drive in this state, you'll need to be able to access the memory card external from the problem camera, e.g. with an external card reader in your PC, and do a manual FW update.

Download the latest v0.67 MOV FW from post #4 here, and copy the file (named FWMICDVR.BIN) to the root folder of the memory card (NOT in the DCIM folder, but along side of it). Then, turn the problem camera off, insert the memory card, and give the power button a quick press and let the camera sit for about 15 sec. It should flash the yellow LED very fast for a few seconds, then turn off, but DON'T TOUCH IT YET... it's still processing the FW! After another 6-7 seconds or so the red LED should blink once, then the yellow LED should come on steady. If all this happens as described, the camera should be restored and in standby mode, ready to use.

If it still does not function properly, repeat the process with the v0.49 AVI FW in post #4.

Report back here on the results.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:12 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
Try shutting off the camera, removing the SC card and then starting the camera again, it should blink and ask for an SC card...insert the SC card and then connect the camera to your PC. It should open on your PC as a removable disk, you should be able to see the firmware file and manually delete it from the root directory on the card.

Regards,
John
Thanks John, but all I get when I disconnect camera, remove the card and turn on the camera is one red flash, then nothing. Same when connected.
I just pressed reset, waited 15 seconds and tried again.. same.

With the card in, it shows a fast yellow blink for a second, then a single red flash about 10 seconds later, whether connected or not.

Fred
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:15 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
You probably didn't follow the instructions exactly and started pressing buttons too quickly when you turned on the camera to load the FW (a common mistake).
Thanks very much Tom. Nice to know it's a common mistake!!
I'll have to finally break down and get a card reader.
Fred
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:16 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Hi All...

Thanks muchly

Fred
Were you using the Configuration Assistant GUI? If so, please email me the log file (Nr16ConfAssist.log) located alongside the program file (Nr16ConfAssist.jar). It will reveal in detail what happened.

If you were using the other GUI, then Isoprop can probably help you.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Thanks John, but all I get when I disconnect camera, remove the card and turn on the camera is one red flash, then nothing. Same when connected.
I just pressed reset, waited 15 seconds and tried again.. same.

With the card in, it shows a fast yellow blink for a second, then a single red flash about 10 seconds later, whether connected or not.

Fred
OK, that's sounds like the flashing pattern of an attempt to upload a FW file. Is the FW file (FWMICDVR.BIN) still on the memory card? You'll need to view the card in a reader, or start from scratch as I just suggested, using the v0.49AVI FW file.

Alternatively, try disconnecting the battery for about 30 sec., then reconnect and see how the camera performs.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:18 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
PS.. I was loading the AVI FW. Does it matter in this case.. ie is it necessary to do the MOV FW first?
Appreciated.
Fred
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
PS.. I was loading the AVI FW. Does it matter in this case.. ie is it necessary to do the MOV FW first?
Appreciated.
Fred
No, it makes no difference NORMALLY. I had a similar lockup during some recent testing u=of developmental FW, and the camera would do nothing other the charge. I was able to apparently re-load the FW file, but it did not get installed, even though the LED activity was normal. I found that a different FW DID install properly, then I could re-install the FW version I wanted in the first place! This may not work for you since it was a quirky state resulting from a test FW glitch. But if you don't have a way to communicate with the memory card external from the camera, try the battery disconnect option. There have been documented cases of incomplete FW installs locking up the camera. Turning off the camera does NOT totally power it down (power is still applied to the internal clock and who knows what else). So it doesn't clear itself with a reset button approach until you do a "cold" boot after a battery disconnect. This has revived some cameras in a similar lock-up as well.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 27, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:35 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
Were you using the Configuration Assistant GUI? If so, please email me the log file (Nr16ConfAssist.log) located alongside the program file (Nr16ConfAssist.jar). It will reveal in detail what happened.

If you were using the other GUI, then Isoprop can probably help you.
I was using Nr16Setup

Thanks.. Fred
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
I was using Nr16Setup

Thanks.. Fred
Fred, I may have over-looked something really basic. How long are you pressing the power button to turn on the camera? The FW defaults to the "delayed" start-up mode, which takes 3-4 secs. of holding down the power button until the RED LED goes out and the YELLOW LED turns on.

Maybe you haven't actually turned it on yet!? You can tweak the startup for a fast start with the GUI once the camera is working.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Fred, I may have over-looked something really basic. How long are you pressing the power button to turn on the camera? The FW defaults to the "delayed" start-up mode, which takes 3-4 secs. of holding down the power button until the RED LED goes out and the YELLOW LED turns on.

Maybe you haven't actually turned it on yet!? You can tweak the startup for a fast start with the GUI once the camera is working.
Good thought!

Yes, I had been holding the power button for less than 2 seconds to turn it on. I think it said that somewhere. Dead end however. Just tried it again holding the button longer, and the behaviour has changed for the worse.
Not connected, card out, reset pushed... I get no lights at all when I hold the button down. Putting the card in I get quick flashing yellow for a second, then nothing when holding the button down. (I have familial shakes/essential tremors so opening up the camera to disconnect the battery is fraught with unpredictability...I'll get a card reader!!)

Thanks again.. you guys are terrific. I'll report back tmrw.

Fred
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
281 Posts
#16 v2 D lens combo video test

This camera was put inside a SC10 4X4 on an indoor clay race track to see how it holds up to the bouncing around of a RC race car. I really like this camera for what it does and its light!.
12-23-12 practice @ Top Gear Hobbies (3 min 56 sec)

808 #16 v2 In-Car Camera (7 min 11 sec)
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
It is more like in the FAQ.
Don't you have your own no. 16 thread? You should post in that and not clutter up this one
irononreverse is online now Find More Posts by irononreverse
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
281 Posts
clarity issues with v1 808 #16 keychain camera

I am getting an image that looks like a white sheet was put in front of the lens. I have cold booted it and blew some air about the lens. It used to make very good images but it has been sitting unused since May until I got the camera bug gain. My previous post was two videos made with v2 D lens and they are quite good in my opinion. I also recorded the same setup with my first 808 camera but the video is 25 minutes long so I hesitate to post. I just ordered another camera but with the B lens as I don't like the curvature of horizontals. From reading some previous posts the A lens is the most natural. I put a lens shade on it and it helped in lens flare issues but still it looks a little too much white filter for my taste. Anyway I'd still like to use this camera since it doesn't have a red IR filter in front of the lens. If somebody wants to see the video I will post.
Thanks for reading,
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:16 AM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Ricky.. An old saying , different strokes, for different folks.

FISHYCOMICS
Thanks a lot, Fishycomics.
I'll follow Your suggestions: also with my Canon photo camera, when I want to take good pictures, I set it in the most neutral solution and with RAW file, then I work on the file with Photoshop.
In this camera files are compressed, so it's normal to loose some informations about color and light, but this is a reason more, IMHO, to keep neutral colors.
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971