HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,554 Posts
Ya I'm defiantly bundled up when I'm flying, but I've been in it all my life and am kinda acclimated to it. Looking forward to the longer warmer days though.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Elevator push rod too short?

All,
I've been putting mine together. So far so good. This morning though I installed the elevator servo (HS-81 MG as recommended) and linkage. The push rod is too short. To get the proper 90 degree at center servo arm geometry, I have only 1-2 threads engaged into the ball ends. You can turn the PR with your fingers a turn or so in either direction and it comes out. No problem with Ailerons. If anything the ball ends are on too far. But not quite bottomed out. This is obviously the intended rod. The remaining rod for the rudder is way too long for the elevator.
Did any others have this problem? If so what did you do about it?
Oh yeah, I was test fitting the HS-65 MG servo for the rudder into its opening and the plywood plate parted company with the balsa. It will be a chore to fix.
Regardless, this is a nice plane and it is so completely built it's hard to call it a kit!
Thanks,
Terry
terryj is offline Find More Posts by terryj
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:32 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,619 Posts
Try turning the servo around so that the output shaft is closer to the tail.

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Agree with this guy :-). ^^^
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:55 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Is that an air brake Doc?
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan View Post
Is that an air brake Doc?
It sure works like one. I've never had a plane that I can just plain stop dead in the air simply by hammering the elevator.

I've knocked the rudder off my current MXS several times in low level walls when I didn't leave enough room bwetween the plane and the ground. The Extra will climb just a little in a medium speed wall, but the MXS simply throws the tail under the airplane, and maybe even drops a little. Pitch authoity is just plain sick.

The project blue MXS got KE spun into the dirt yesterday and it broke an elevator counter balance. It's repaired, but remember this is the same plane that had the flightbox fall on and crush the other elevator half. It's also been landed upside down, cartwheeled, etc. It's getting so beat up from the unreasonable abuse that it's got to be close to retirement time.

I'm taking it to the Manatee Radio Control fly-in later and will probably try to finish her off in a blaze of glory.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Try turning the servo around so that the output shaft is closer to the tail.

Thanks Doc. That was my first thought as well. Headed to the workshop now. Plan B would be to try a 2mm heli turnbuckle that is a bit longer. Since you are getter near 90 degrees deflection, geometry must be OK. Take care.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
I turned the servo around and that solved the problem. It does bind at full down throw at about 45 degrees deflection since at that angle the elevator horn is pulled beyond max deflection and can't go any further. No bind in up deflection but limited to about 45 degrees throw. No need for the "air brake" effect for my kind of flying Precision and moderate snap-spin manuevers.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,619 Posts
Killed my MXS today.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Killed my MXS today.
sorry bro..you called it tho.You said you were gonna go kill it at a fly in lol
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,619 Posts
Wish I'de killed it a little later in the day though. I mean, that's how I opened the show! We had a lot of Extreme Flight planes at the event today. They utterly dominated the flightline, and especially the sky.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,554 Posts
sorry doc... I am going to put the covering back on my wing on the MXS. I'm just waiting to hear back on shipping for a whole plane or wing set. I think I may be better off going with a full plane, but shipping kills me up here in Alaska. Another MXS in the future, maybe a 60?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,554 Posts
I'm not a pro by any means and not much experience with covering but will try to get a temporary fix to keep in the air until I get a replacement.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,619 Posts
Man, I hate doing repair work.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,554 Posts
I finished my repair and posted in the owners forum the pics of the repair.
RCG Plus Member