New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2015, 02:36 AM
Find More Posts by kevin matthews
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,678 Posts
Build Log
Lockheed P 38 Lightning Comet Kit

At Ebay right now there are two Comet kits available of the P 38. They are both the same and the model has a 34" wingspan. I can't afford to buy one yet, not until Tuesday. If there is still one available then I'll most likely get one. I've been considering building another multi - prop model for a few weeks. Another possibility is the Easy Built Models B25 Mitchell 32". And yet another plane I've been looking at converting to FF is the Guillows B24D Liberator. I mentioned "converting" because it's meant as a display model, as is the Mitchell. The thing about the Easy Built kits is that the display models convert easily to FF...the kits come with light wood. And, The Guillows Liberator has engine nacelles made of plastic, which would have to be made from balsa wood. That's no big problem for me having studied the daylights out of the Liberator plan from awhile back I was working on. And, the Guillows Liberator kit most likely comes with "Oak" instead of light balsa. The Comet kit states it has been designed for rubber power FF, so I would anticipate no problems with wood quality. Or, I might build another Westland Whirlwind the "right" way. All of these models are SAM eligible. Right now I'm drawn to big. And yet another possiblity is buying the Guillows Liberator plan and plastic canopy sheet and building from scratch. Choices and more choices.
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2015, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
1,708 Posts
"The Comet kit states it has been designed for rubber power FF, so I would anticipate no problems with wood quality."

I believe your anticipation about Comet wood quality is not exactly well founded. My experience with products from this manufacturer, going back to the 1950's, is that "good wood" is not a regular feature. I have two Comet kits in my current stash, one is 34" P-38. Both feature rather hard/heavy balsa.

If you must build the Comet Lightning, I'd suggest http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=95 for the plan and select your own wood.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Feb 02, 2015, 03:21 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,678 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, packardpursuit. I have yet to build a Comet kit and thought the wood was quality wood. I'm not sure where the notion came from, but now I won't be buying that kit. I checked out the plan you provided, thanks. IDK, I've been considering the Dumas 30" P38. I haven't built a Dumas kit either. I found a Herr P38, too, with a 30" wing-span. It may be a discontinued model. I have built two Herr kits with good flying success. In the mean time, last night I got from my plans storage area and pulled a plan for a 12" Farman Sport 1926.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by pburress
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,617 Posts
My two bits: The Guillow's kit will be a brick- You'd want to replace the wood and modify most parts to end up with anything near light enough to fly FF.

Comets are considered good designs for FF but the kit wood may not be light. Both the Dumas and Herr kits would be good. Choose the one that looks more lightly designed..
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old Feb 06, 2015, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by GsGuzlr
United States, NY, Glens Falls
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
The Comet p-38 was the very first FF plane I built over 20 years ago. Wow, what bunch of lumber for a begginers project! My Dad said dont start with that one but I just had to have it. I have to agree with everyone here, the wood selection of the kit I had wasnt great, mostly using the wrong density for the application. Also, Im not positive on this, but I would think the longer the model sits or is exposed to changes in the weather, the more chance it will have warped wood.
GsGuzlr is offline Find More Posts by GsGuzlr
Last edited by GsGuzlr; Feb 06, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2015, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,668 Posts
as above I built a Comet P38 as a kid wayyy too many years ago. It didn't go well.
Poor wood (easily substituted tho) but the vacu forming was abysmal, it just wouldn't fit well.
Not a fond memory.
One could do infinitely better.. working from a set of plans
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 07, 2015, 04:28 AM
Find More Posts by bshultz327
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
328 Posts
I have built several Dumas kits and the wood and design and vacu-form parts are top notch, IMHO. I have not built a Herr kit but would like to. Just judging from all the kits I've looked at though, Herr appears to generally have some really lightweight structures and room for electronics.
Branden
bshultz327 is offline Find More Posts by bshultz327
Old Feb 08, 2015, 04:54 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,678 Posts
Thanks, Branden. It looks like Dumas is the way to go for their P38. The Herr kits are great, I've built two of them, both 30" Corsairs and had good flying success. It looks like the Herr P38 has been discontinued. I did find one on ebay.

Kev
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:44 AM
Find More Posts by airacobraace
Joined Mar 2009
31 Posts
Built a couple comet 34" P-38's when I was kid.....guess I should try this joe ott P-38 with a 45'' wingspan or maybe a 15" wingspan megow 38??????
airacobraace is offline Find More Posts by airacobraace
Old Mar 04, 2015, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,786 Posts
If you've got to do a Liberator- talk to Mike Midkiff. He's got a plan for a 51" span model and he may be inclined to come up with some laser cut parts. Unlike Guillow's- Mikes stuff is designed to fly.

Also- another agreement on Comet wood- highly variable. Most of the successful Comet kits I built involved photocopying the wood onto something lighter- and easier to cut out!

There's a rumor out there that as Guillow's shifts to laser cutting- their wood selection is improving.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Mar 04, 2015, 06:46 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,678 Posts
Thank you, Sam. That's helpful information. I'm wanting to build a B24D but I'm not sure what's next for me yet. I'm considering building a 54" self design. It been on the back burner for some time.

Kevin
Old Apr 23, 2015, 06:24 AM
Find More Posts by JJLaReau87
Joined Dec 2014
6 Posts
I built the dumas waco ymf5 designed by pat Trittle. I was very impressed with the assortment of balsa wood sticks the sheets of laser cut parts were pretty good as well only a couple issues that I modified. All around very good quality kit. I prefer guillows detailing though. Just my input.
JJLaReau87 is offline Find More Posts by JJLaReau87