New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,356 Posts
I did the pancake maneuver on to many planes, I'll stick with Pop Tarts !
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2015, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by uberjay
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
I did the pancake maneuver on to many planes, I'll stick with Pop Tarts !
Amen to that!
uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Old Apr 16, 2015, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Fly 3D airplanes!
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,638 Posts
Anybody in MN looking to buy a Beast with top of the line components all around (really, top of the line) contact me. I need room for a 120 CC I'm assembling.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post28896936
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:53 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,997 Posts
Good luck with the sale!

I finally got out with the Beast during some "sunny" weather (it was a great day in the end, but winds were super gusty between 15 and 35 km/h).

I'm flying with NO gyros/stabilizer... straight up AR8000 + TM1000 telemetry (which I had no time to look at ;-) ).

The only wish I have is that the stall transition were smoother - trying to do a harrier and major wing rock. It's hard to see in my video due to my Mobius' wide angle lens, but near the end you'll see me trying some harriering up high. The wings are almost a constant back and forth. I'm wondering if I have too much expo on ailerons and whether going lighter on the expo will give me quicker reaction time to counter the stalls?

Anyway.... was a fun flight - did two that day and both turned out great. Here's the vid of the first flight of the season for me.

Beast 60e Spring Maiden (6 min 50 sec)

Cheers,
J
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by Fish99
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,799 Posts
Uberjay, great flight, especially for a maiden! You were wringing it out nicely.

On the wing rock, I am using the same Rx as you, no AS3X. I manage to get a little less wing rock on mine than that, but as you brought it up, how much Expo are you using? I don't think I have more than 20 or 25 % on mine so it is a bit twitchy but also more quick to respond to minor corrections to prevent the rock, so you might be onto something.

Anyhow, regardless, that was great flying and way more daring that I was on my maiden, guaranteed there! Welcome to the Beast 60e club!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
2,533 Posts
I don't believe that wing rock is an issue with expo. For me i find when a plane i am flying starts to wing rock it is because i am not using proper throttle management. Some planes really need pulsing of the throttle to avoid wing rock, they can harrier without it but then they wing rock. i can harrier quite a few planes in my hanger with contant throttle. But then i am using my elevator to maintain my angle, which isn't how a harrier should have it's angle maintained.
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2015, 06:07 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Uberjay, great flight, especially for a maiden! You were wringing it out nicely.

On the wing rock, I am using the same Rx as you, no AS3X. I manage to get a little less wing rock on mine than that, but as you brought it up, how much Expo are you using? I don't think I have more than 20 or 25 % on mine so it is a bit twitchy but also more quick to respond to minor corrections to prevent the rock, so you might be onto something.

Anyhow, regardless, that was great flying and way more daring that I was on my maiden, guaranteed there! Welcome to the Beast 60e club!

Marlin
Hey Marlin, yeah, I have 30 % expo on ailerons and 100% for rate on my high setting. I stuck it that high with all the cautionary tales on this thread of people saying the Beast had huge throws, etc. Now that I've had a few flights on it I'm no longer worried about it and will bring it down.

Also... I should clarify - this was just the first (~ maiden) this year. I flew it last fall a few times too - one too many as the last time I flew it I landed and rolled one wheel pant over in the long grass. Already have a replacement set of wheel pants, but not going to bother for now.

Anyway... thanks for the feedback on expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoy View Post
I don't believe that wing rock is an issue with expo. For me i find when a plane i am flying starts to wing rock it is because i am not using proper throttle management. Some planes really need pulsing of the throttle to avoid wing rock, they can harrier without it but then they wing rock. i can harrier quite a few planes in my hanger with contant throttle. But then i am using my elevator to maintain my angle, which isn't how a harrier should have it's angle maintained.
Thanks that helps... like I said on my video comments, I'm a 3D noob or, perhaps a hack. I've only just started to crack into the 3D end of things. I can do a few tricks, but it's not consistent yet and I need to work on precision too. Right now though I'm just happy to be flying the Beast and tossing it around.

I like that tip about harriers and throttle. I think you're probably bang on - I was trying be fluid and constant with the throttle while maintaining angle with elevator. It probably didn't help that I was trying to do all that with 25+ km/h winds ;-).

Anyway, thanks guys for the feedback.
J
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
United States, MA, Scituate
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
Mother nature is not making me happy. After a lot of craziness (stabs coming off, bad ESCs, 10ft of snow), I was finally able to get everything solved and do my final check on Monday night for my maiden. Tuesday was a washout, but today was supposed to be great, so maiden was planned. Unfortunately, even though the sun is out and temp is warm, the wind is crazy. When the 80ft tree in the back is bending over, it's probably not a good time to fly a model for the first time.

I'm tired of staring at this plane. I must fly it soon!

Sorry, just ranting...

BTW, I still have not heard anything from Ace Wing Carrier except "We are really busy!". That's fine, but when you take money and then give no order status for three weeks, I'm going to start to wonder if I'm being ripped off.
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave