New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by Knoll53
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
3,064 Posts
The nice thing about wing fences is that they are quick to fabricate and then just stick them on with hot glue to do a test fly to see if they solve your control issues.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by bsbauman
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,495 Posts
I am about to put this model together for SEFF, can you share what your power setup was please?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by guitarcher
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Australia, QLD, Maryborough
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Answer and recent flight report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I am about to put this model together for SEFF, can you share what your power setup was please?
The original power setup was 28-30 motor and 3S 2200mAh LiPo.

After the initial tip stalling problems the wing was relegated the a dark and dusty shelf in my workshop. It saw the light of day again a couple of months ago and underwent some surgery.

To decrease weight I moved the motor as far forward as I could get it. I then hacked into the nose of the pod to install a shelf for a 1300mAh battery. This resulted in reducing the weight from 850gms to 750gms. Well worth the effort in my opinion.

By flying with about 1mm downtrim on the flaps the tendency to tip stall is greatly reduced even at very high bank angles as long as a bit of air speed is maintained.

Flap deployment appears to be pitch neutral and can greatly increase lift. I look forward to more flying time with this wing in the near future.
guitarcher is online now Find More Posts by guitarcher
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by bsbauman
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,495 Posts
Thanks! What prop are you running?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2015, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by nmasters
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,227 Posts
Fences will reduce the glide because they increase induced drag at all speeds. Vortilons at the same position that miniphase mentioned will do almost the same job without making any induced drag until very near the stall speed. A strip of foam mounting tape about 1/8 inch wide and 1/2" long applied to the lower surface as shown here should reduce the tendency to spin a lot. Most full scale airplanes with swept wings use one or more of these to tailor the stall characteristics or some other stall delaying device. The beauty of vortilons is that they are easy to move to find the best place for them.

--------.~.
--------/V\
------//----\\
-----/(------)\
----(^^)---(^^) --Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniphase View Post
They help prevent spanwise migration of the air flow....ie help they stop the airflow moving along the wing rather than across it

I think the general concensus is to put them in line with the elevon break, they can be made out of card or plastic and taped into position

info here- http://www.b2streamlines.com/WingFences.pdf

and here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_fence

aim for this kind of arrangement....

nmasters is online now Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Mar 29, 2015, 05:25 PM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Thanks! What prop are you running?
8" x 6" folding prop.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 05:34 PM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasters View Post
Fences will reduce the glide because they increase induced drag at all speeds. Vortilons at the same position that miniphase mentioned will do almost the same job without making any induced drag until very near the stall speed. A strip of foam mounting tape about 1/8 inch wide and 1/2" long applied to the lower surface as shown here should reduce the tendency to spin a lot. Most full scale airplanes with swept wings use one or more of these to tailor the stall characteristics or some other stall delaying device. The beauty of vortilons is that they are easy to move to find the best place for them.

--------.~.
--------/V\
------//----\\
-----/(------)\
----(^^)---(^^) --Norm
Thanks for the extra science Norm. Vortilons sound easy enough to have a go at.