Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:36 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,869 Posts
Well getting close now as I got my lower outdrive's from the 3d printer, just need to prime and sand to fill in the rough printed surface ready for gloss black along with the upper drives and trim tabs

The detail in these parts are very good like the pointed nose and sharp edges on the fins, 3d printing has come along way in just a few yrs

Will have some gold anodize and polished alum too for a nice balance of colors

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:26 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
Will this material stand up to erosion from prop speed ??

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:00 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,869 Posts
Hi Ross

This boat is for display only a non-runner, not sure how this plastic will hold up to any ware & tear

G Don
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:10 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,769 Posts
It's quite something for this newer fangled tech.

Jared

Ross, so nice to hear an SC2 at HSS after all these years and the many challenges.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:45 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,869 Posts
Hi Jared

A guy was on the tv with his new 300 dollar 3D printer that will be out next yr, the catch is the cartridges are 30 bucks each

like the all in printers we have they will get you on the 30 bucks as these print outs take a lot of material for the part to be made

But the owner can make toys for his kids and that is pretty cool

G Don
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,927 Posts
I've worked with 3-D printed parts a fair amount lately, mainly as patterns for making molds for custom prop blades for UAV's I'm working on for my "day job" (yes, we design and make our own props for them). There are some printers out there that print in metal (MAJOR $$$$$), but even those I would be uneasy about for spinning parts like blades. The plastic ones are nowhere near strong enough for the loads on a prop, and also tend to be somewhat brittle. The technology is improving rapidly, but in terms of strength and physical properties, they still have quite a way to go.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,869 Posts
Ditto that Don

These were printed on a Objet printer at .0006 per layer

The layering is getting a lot better, still have sand them down for a nice black paint job

Think I will just prime on this surface the way it is and sand the primer as it is a lot easer to sand than the plastic
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,577 Posts
Nicely done Sean! -didn't look like a cop !

Also, smart move on the soap, I've done it too a few times with wood rails and heavy things that wouldn't slide. A little rubbing down with a bar of Ivory (think that's what I had on hand), and she slipped right along just fine. Only problem is getting the residual soap off the rails was a little tricky. Careful on that floor!

Oh yeah, here's your answer... http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air

Cheers!

Rob
who has the 13"'er, sweet piece of gear! Hook it up to a Thunderbolt display and you're golden.
robh is online now Find More Posts by robh
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,028 Posts
As usual looking awesome GDon!

Rob, I done the deed yesterday.

Went to BestBuy yesterday evening and shopped, cussed and discussed with their tablet guy. I was going to buy a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 but he talked me into the Samsung Tab4 10.1" (apparently that .1" is a big deal). Ive got 14 days to test drive it. So far I love it except not so sure about battery life. I also bought a Logitech carry case with built in keyboard (love it too) plus an HDMI dongle and a Bluetooth dongle for the awesome wireless surround sound system Hoss sold me at a serious discount. I can mirror the screen over to the 48" TV in the living room, lay on the couch and type complete nonsense on RCGroups in complete comfort. I may never leave the house again.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,028 Posts
Soap on the floor: Went back out to the farm yesterday with a buddy to put out game cameras. Since we've been blessed with a bumper crop of Water Moccasins I strongly suggested we take the tractor and 4 wheeler to stay above strike range of the little darlings. I threw the doors open and my buddy sauntered across that floor before I could give warning. Hit the slick area and skated across the floor, picking up speed as he went. He could have been seriously injured but fortunately he slammed head first into a steel beam holding up the roof before he could fall thereby taking all of the blunt force trauma to his noggin instead of organs he actually uses. I was very concerned about the medical situation for a couple of minutes and almost called 911. I was laughing so hard I could'nt catch my breath.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,869 Posts
Hi Guys

I have this 20" by 30" hole in the shop wall and i'am going to build a faux wall safe front panel and door, using the Crane Hinge design

They are great looking with all kinds of stuff going on, and a ton of turned silver & gold leaf to top it off

The two base colors will be cream & orange pearl

So I joined a safe forum and it is like my keyboard is flaming out when I try to type a post for the forum, I was thinking it must be something on their end as it works very good here on RC groups

G Don, the safe dude