Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
carbon fiber RIBBON...

anyone know where the best place to buy this is..I saw a thread where they used this and said it worked fnataastically under the wing for support...eveidently it comes in a roll..and once it is unrolled and fastened to the wing,,it has great strength to weight ratio...its not a stiff rod of carbon..like whats used on arrow shafts,,but it seems to be bendable/rollable but once it is straignteend out and fastened to something..it becomes stiff/strong...
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:09 AM
O. F.
New Braunfels, Texas
Joined Aug 2004
46 Posts
rumme,

Check out "Carbon Fiber Tape" at H.L.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/carbonfiber.htm
Herr Harr is offline Find More Posts by Herr Harr
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I guess thats the stuff..anyone here used it...hard to believe that it will stiffen and add strength,,,it looks so flimsy..
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:30 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,574 Posts
Hay Rumme,
I was just putting some carbon fiber tow on the leading edge of my wing. I use the tow not the ribbon. The tow can be got in different stran counts. 2K is 2000 strans per tow, like wise 12k is 12000 strans, about 1/4" wide. It's best used with 30 or 60 minute epoxy. I get my tow from several places, depending on what I need it for. Let me know what your using it for and I'll see if I can direct you to the source.
Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
i need it for the underside of my sky-scooter wing which I have just went brushless with..and the wing will definitely break wiht out reinforcement...
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:56 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,574 Posts
I have a couple Sky Scooters and am modifying one at this time. I used 12k tow, just under the edge of the leading edge of the wing and put a 2" wide strip of 3/4oz fiberglass over the tow. I bought it a couple times from a guy on ebay. He's not selling any on ebay at this time, but here's his address; Steve Cousins 14007 Lookout Dr Kansas City, MO 64139. And if you only need a few feet, I could sell you some.
Butch
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:00 AM
St. Catharines, Canada
Joined Mar 2003
260 Posts
The carbon fibre tape I have been using is very dfficult to work with. You have to tape over the parts you cut or it begins to unravel like a million tiny split ends. It is hard to explain but it needs to be epoxied to solid structure as its strength is only tensional and its attachment to stuff is what makes it work.
nupeswv is offline Find More Posts by nupeswv
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:12 AM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jul 2002
524 Posts
Its about the geometrics. I like to take carbon tubes and slice them with a razor in 1/4 or 1/8's. I then epoxy them into the length of the fuse, as well as the wing if needed. It adds great structural intergrity to the fuse.
sa-10 is offline Find More Posts by sa-10
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Butch does the 12k tow have good strength??..and is it a flimsy like material that strengthens when you epoxy it to the plane??...I just modifyed my sky scooter pro2..to brushless setup...thinking about taping up the bottom of wings..to see the speed factor increase..
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
butch..I flew my scooter yesterday for the 1st time with a brushless himaxx..and after the 1st flight..my right wing starting pulling away from the middle stryofoam section that gets rubberbanded down to the planes fuselage..you amy want to take a low heat glue gun {availiable at craft stores for about $2} and runa bead of hot glue down the top and bottom of the left/right wing right where the wings meet the middle stryofoam section..this should give added strength with very little weight increase..
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:59 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,574 Posts
Rumme,
Carbonfiber tow is what the solid carbonfiber rod is made of. It is just a bunch of carbon hair epoxied together. So you can put it where its needed and epoxy it and when it cures, about 24hrs at 75 degrees, it is very hard and stiff like the rod is. 12k tow is about 1/4" wide and as thin as a thick peice of paper. If you took 6 pieces of it, 6" long, epoxied (with good 60 minute epoxy)and stacked them together, they would be a little over 1/8" thick, by 1/4" by 6" long. Let them cure for 48 hours at over 75 degrees. After the cure time, you would not be able to brake the piece by hand, that's how strong it is.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:20 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,341 Posts
Rumme:

I think what was referred to was Dave Brown's carbon fiber prepreg. Comes in .005 thick, 1/2" wide, and handles just like you described.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:32 PM
USA, MA, Framingham
Joined Feb 2003
153 Posts
Carbon uni web is easy to work with from ACP.
http://www.acp-composites.com/acp-ud.htm
Mad Scientist is offline Find More Posts by Mad Scientist