HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2014, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2010
2 Posts
Build Log
Youve heard of model train layouts.....

Well, why not a RC MICRO MODEL BOATS layout ?

First, some background... This may not be as an original idea as I might think it is, Maybe some of you have seen temporary boat ponds at shows or in some of the English modelling mags like Marine Modeller.

and a bit of a rant as well..

Up to a few months ago, I was a somehwat active model railroader, with plans for a portable 12 foot by 6 foot by 4 foot off the ground table layout in HO scale engineered to set up and take apart within a few minutes. Having completed the three table units ( I promise photos as soon as I can get a new camera) I thus receieved the "coup de grace" for this project with news that the American firm called Model Power is no longer in business. They made very affordable secondary items for that hobby. That hobby is becoming increasingly unaffordable due to exhorbitant prices of equipment and track, etc. and the amount of companies making affordable items going out of business. Model railroading as a hobby is in bad shape. (Ever since Model Railroader put Rod Stewart on its cover a couple of years ago, its really gotten out of control- $200.00 for a loco an Ho scale engine is insane.)

I then got to thinking, and seeing how much more affordable rc is now, then why not make it into a portable temporary water table 6 by 12 foot long by 3-4 inches deep that i can st up in my garage and detail out and run micro sized rc warships on it. It will hold about 120 gals of h20. about as much as a kiddie pool, but with much more potential

Lindberg makes several models that were battery powered at one time that would translate well to this. I recently purchased their 1/600 USS Manchester light cruiser kit, and maked a brass rudder, propshaft and stuffing tubes and am researching radio and servo combinations for it. it will definitely work.

Since alot of their model ships are of Korean war vintage, I also thought, why not make it the layout a model of wonsan harbor. (Google search the seige of wonsan for more details). Or with the neat kits that Heller has out now, perhaps the French Naval base of Mers-el Kebir from 1940! Their Arromanches/HMS Colossus aircraft carrier may be the next purchase.

Im spending alot of time at Home Depot looking at lumber types and plastic dropcloths to use like pool liner, etc. as it progesses, I will share more.
avroarrow is offline Find More Posts by avroarrow
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2014, 11:38 AM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
955 Posts
Sounds like a very neat idea. Shame that it would be portable and not on a more permanent basis. Have you considered an outdoor setting devised into a pond? Consider something like what 'rcjimd' devised HERE but in the form of a harbor with maybe an adjacent canal or waterway for more flexibility.

If you observe the progression of his 'backyard river system w/ lock chambers' you can see he added plants around it to blend it in but also added a gravel or sand pit with a crane and conveyor, some heavy equipment and some items to represent a scale backyard boat layout.

Looking forward to what you come up with.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2014, 06:57 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Cool.

Yeah, Jim even put "locks" in his. You could probably work those into a portable layout as well.
blutoh is online now Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jun 01, 2014, 11:24 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,933 Posts
The 20x40 foot temporary pool we use at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:02 PM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
955 Posts
Any progress?

I would love to see what you come up with in this endeavor. I would lean towards a black pond liner and see if you can come up with an irregular shape besides a rectangle or square-shaped water body. 2-3" of water is genius--it would be so simple that way.

Don't forget tugs!
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:12 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
909 Posts
This is a great idea, especially if you go to events. It adds another dimension to the displays/hobby. also great if you make a harbour out of it and gives the operators a challenge to bring their models into the dock!
Mines not as big as your planning, but its a somewhat replica of the dock that the model ship ties up at normally. Certainly interested to see how you make out with yours!
Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer