Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 21, 2014, 12:49 PM
United States, MN, Park Rapids
Joined Feb 2014
437 Posts
Discussion
Sailboat Winch Set-Ups

How do you guys set-up your winch? The Victor America Cubed Instructions show an Airtronics Winch, with turning blocks on the arms, a shorter one for the jib and a longer one for the main. This product from Airtronics does not seem to be available any longer.

I would like to use my Hitech Servo winch, which only has one arm. I understand that the jib sheet will need to be turned back on itself to use this servo. I find that any looseness in the sheets, allows the sheets to tangle with anything in the radio compartment and any turn back of the lines really need to be run through a small block, to cut down on line drag.

Some photos of how you ran your sheets to you winch would be very helpful.

Thanks!
md6364 is offline Find More Posts by md6364
Last edited by md6364; May 21, 2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Removed an "O"
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2014, 02:52 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,933 Posts
I've used lexan and ply to make arms, plus used the original servo arm. It all depends on what you need. I have boats with pulleys on the arms, and some with large holes. Pulleys are better (less drag), but the others work. The bigger the turning radius, the better.
I also use a piece of thin plastic to keep the slack sheets from fouling on the radio gear. A big piece can be cut from the clamshell container for grocery store cupcakes/cookies. Punch a hole where the sail servo stem comes through and just let it rest on the top of the servo. The slack sheets just lay on the guard.
Keep it simple and it works better. And make sure you place a drop of CA on the knots. They have a nasty tendency to come undone at the wrong time.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 21, 2014, 03:41 PM
Joined Feb 2014
437 Posts
Thanks Dave, great suggestions! Where do you get your small turning blocks? I will have to buy some donuts, so I can scavenge the packaging! Agree, applying CA to all knots, is a must. I also CA the ends of the rigging lines, making them much easier to thread through the various holes, Bowseys and eyes.
Old May 21, 2014, 04:35 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
538 Posts
This issue from AMYA is old (2005) but has some really good articles covering things such as winch's.

http://www.theamya.org/my/138-SampleWebEdition0801.pdf
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old May 21, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Feb 2014
437 Posts
Thanks Ted, where do you guys find small running rigging blocks?
Old May 21, 2014, 05:19 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by md6364 View Post
Thanks Ted, where do you guys find small running rigging blocks?
My first choice

http://stores.rcsailboatparts.com/

or eBay at:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_from=R40&_...All-Categories

See next post.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Last edited by TedFlack; May 21, 2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: What John said in next post
Old May 21, 2014, 05:46 PM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
463 Posts
I use these. The Hales are the best around.

http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/Blocks.asp

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old May 23, 2014, 11:11 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,089 Posts
And I like these: http://www.longbeachrc.com/collectio...ree-flat-mount
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old May 27, 2014, 03:56 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2012
36 Posts
Keep in mind, any armwinch setup will require a bungee to keep things from getting tangled.
Crunchy Frog is offline Find More Posts by Crunchy Frog
Old May 28, 2014, 06:10 AM
Joined Feb 2014
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
Keep in mind, any armwinch setup will require a bungee to keep things from getting tangled.
Can I assume what you mean is that the sheets have tensioners on them, keeping them tight, even when the sheets are loosened? A photo of how you have set this up, would be worth a thosand words!

My buddy showed up over the weekend; so, I got to look over his radio installation in his America Cubed. He showed me that Victor Model Products again shorted me an important part, and that is the adapter arm for the winch servo with the brass fairleads for the sheets! So, I'm in the process of building my own from a piece of Micarta (an old Circuit Board material) I had laying around. My fairleads will be made from small washers glued to the top and bottom of the Micarta. By doing it the way Victor designed it, I have eliminated the turn back fairlead for the jib sheet.

I have also bought an Airtronics Winch Servo off Ebay with rollers at the ends of the servo arms, for either a future project; or, replacement of my Hitech Sail winch.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:27 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
639 Posts
I use a continuous loop on a drum winch and put all the routing on the deck. Once I get the system timed, it works great with no problems.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old May 28, 2014, 10:31 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
287 Posts
Mike a picture is worth a thousand words, especially for a new sailor.
JIM CALDWELLA is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELLA
Old May 28, 2014, 11:40 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
639 Posts
See Les Gilbert's One Meter site. I use the closed loop system. http://www.onemetre.net/Build/Drums/Drums.htm
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Jun 01, 2014, 07:22 AM
Joined Feb 2014
437 Posts
Mike Denest, I don't see how the difference in the "Sheeting In" length difference of the jib and main is compensated for with your system. Generally, the jib needs less length to "Sheet In" than the main with model sailboats. Although a boat could certainly be built with the same amount of length, to "Sheet In", I don't see this generally being the case.

Possibly the step pulleys shown have something to do with taking care of this situation.
Old Jun 01, 2014, 08:23 AM
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Feb 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by md6364 View Post
Mike Denest, I don't see how the difference in the "Sheeting In" length difference of the jib and main is compensated for with your system. Generally, the jib needs less length to "Sheet In" than the main with model sailboats. .
Different pivot points is how on my RG 65's with a continuous loop drum.
huzway is offline Find More Posts by huzway