Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2013, 03:27 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,874 Posts
New Product
FancyFoam -- 30" EPP Raptor

The Fancyfoam Raptor was designed by Dennis Robbins and ETOC pilot Jamie Hicks for Jamie to use at the ETOC. The depron version is a great plane and typically when switching to EPP I would try to stay as close to the depron deesign as possible but after Jamie and I played with a prototype and discussed what we wanted out of the EPP version we decided to instead scale up the Mini version to 30". The Mini version had been modified to fly better at the 23" size and flys great and this version at 30" is exactly what we wanted.
The plane even at 6.5oz is still floaty like the larger 32" to 34" EPP planes that we sell but the small 30" span gives it a great roll rate with out needing the inboard counter balances. Like the depron and Mini versions it is rock solid in all orientations with smooth transitions in between. In all we are real happy with this plane.
You can find the Raptor on my site at:
http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...ex&cPath=3_115
Mike

30 Raptor 1 (3 min 26 sec)
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Last edited by motorhead; Aug 08, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2013, 06:08 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,874 Posts
Here is another video just playing around in front of the house.
Mike

30 raptor 2 (5 min 36 sec)
Old Aug 09, 2013, 07:12 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,742 Posts
Nice Mike, what motor are you using on this one?

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Aug 09, 2013, 01:28 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,874 Posts
I threw on a Turnigy clone of the A10-9l but it is coming off as it is only a couple grams lighter than a blue wonder and the prop hub is so small that if I fly it on 3s I cannot keep a prop on. I still did well on 2s though. I will probably fly it with the blue wonder on 2s 360 indoors and 3s 460 outdoors.
Mike
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:48 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,343 Posts
Looks cool Mike! How have you been? Is it painted or printed?
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,874 Posts
Been busy. I have a couple of designs in the works and have been working on them. This is one of them.
Currently all of my EPP planes are painted.
Mike
Old Aug 10, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Jan 2005
288 Posts
I am really excited about this one. Should be a popular one from the Raptor series.
Hope you guys like it. Video and build pics coming soon.

Jamie Hicks
jhicks is offline Find More Posts by jhicks
Old Aug 26, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
288 Posts
build pics

Alright guys. I finally got a chance to get some building done. Very excited for this one. Here are some pics. Let me know if you want to see anything I havent posted.

I will be putting the electronics in it shortly. More to come.

Jamie Hicks
Old Aug 26, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2005
288 Posts
more

last 2
Old Sep 28, 2013, 05:48 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,316 Posts
I forgot to post this the other day but I got my maiden in on the Raptor! I have around 20 flights or so on it now. This thing rolls like a madman!!! So far it is a fun plane. I cannot get it to flat-spin for the life of me but that could be attributed to my building skills. It does a really nice fairly slow and smooth KE spin. So far I am really enjoying it. I cannot wait to fly it indoors this winter.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:27 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,874 Posts
Jamie called me the other night with questions about putting the RTS (Reverse Thrust System) on his 30" EPP raptor and it got me thinking so today I put a RTS speed control on a diet dropping the weight in half and installed it on my raptor. Adreher and I did some flying in a school gym tonight and got a little video. I definitely need to practice but it was fun and I want to fly it some more. The first video is edited. The second is the full one with crashes.
Mike

Raptor 30 (0 min 44 sec)

Raptor out takes (1 min 21 sec)
Old Nov 08, 2013, 10:23 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Aug 2007
458 Posts
Got my 30 inch raptor up and going! I am running it on 3s most of the time because I enjoy the power, but I have ran 2s as well and it turns into a bit more of a floater.

My gear:
Good old blue wonder 1500kv
9gram servo on ailerons
5gram on tail
12amp esc
3s 450mah battery

This thing rolls really great! And the slightly smaller size makes my single basketball court gym feel bigger. I also enjoy how quick and simple the build is, yet still get's everything stiff enough to really perform well. AND it's 35 bucks for the white kit I got!

I did a quick paint job for some visual pleasure. Took a few pics of the build and got a bit of video, hope to get some more soon. Needing to get some "video" always gives me an extra excuse fly a bit more.

Fancy Foam 30 inch EPP Raptor (1 min 56 sec)
adreher is offline Find More Posts by adreher
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Adreher, nice paint! You've still got the touch..............

Great flying on the video too.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Nov 27, 2013, 04:06 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,530 Posts
My 3dhs 34'' epp edge has finally died. It lasted two years, so I can not complain. Now it is on to my next foam beater plane. I am thinking about one of these due to the low cost. I have had FF depron planes in the past and have been vary impressed. I have some new in box Diamond D-47 power servos. Would these work for the elevator and rudder? The HS-45HB servos I had in my edge are toast, and are going in the trash can, so I was hoping the Diamond servos would work.

Thanks,
Steven Pfeiffer
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict