HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:57 AM
Freedom Isn't Free
SE Okla
Joined Mar 2006
463 Posts
Discussion
Question

I want to use a LiPo for power to the motor and a NiCad to operate the servos. How do I wire this to the receiver?
Warningshot is online now Find More Posts by Warningshot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:58 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warningshot View Post
I want to use a LiPo for power to the motor and a NiCad to operate the servos. How do I wire this to the receiver?
Easy... connect the LiPo to the ESC and disable the BEC that's most likely built into the ESC. Connect the NiCd pack to the receiver, and you're done.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:04 AM
Freedom Isn't Free
SE Okla
Joined Mar 2006
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Easy... connect the LiPo to the ESC and disable the BEC that's most likely built into the ESC. Connect the NiCd pack to the receiver, and you're done.
What do I do for throttle control?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:11 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,159 Posts
By removing or cutting the red (+) wire in the servo lead from the ESC to the receiver, you disable the BEC, but still have throttle control.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
By removing or cutting the red (+) wire in the servo lead from the ESC to the receiver, you disable the BEC, but still have throttle control.
Pete
Correct, unless the ESC has programmable functions that allows you to disable the BEC (most don't), you have to pull the red wire from the servo plug like pilotpete2 said. Pull the red wire out of the plug, or better yet, pull the red wire out of a servo extension and plug the ESC into the extension. Try not to cut the wire if you can possibly help it as if you ever move that ESC into another plane and need the BEC, you only have to slide the red wire back into the plug.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:11 PM
Freedom Isn't Free
SE Okla
Joined Mar 2006
463 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I will give it a shot.