HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:15 AM
texas
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
Question
new plane

I got a new plane for Christmas it's a Bunker Jungmann This is my first bi-plane The engine size for the plane is 46 to 52 I'm Going to put a OS46 ax on it is this going to be a strong enough engine for this plane.the plane has a 56in wing and the fuselage is 48In's long. Also some of the guys at the field are saying that a bi-plane has lot of drag what are they talking about don't all planes have drag and why are they talking about.
luker737 is offline Find More Posts by luker737
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
Yes Bipes have alot of drag and yes all airplanes have drag....bipes have more drag due to the bracing for the upper wing and the longer leanding edge of the wing compaired to the total wing area....if it was me I would go with an OS 55 AX...go with the bigger recommended engine....better to have the power and not need it than to need the power and not have it....you can always retard the throttle but you can't get more power then all the way up
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,170 Posts
I'm thinking a .46 would definately be underpowered on a 56" biplane.. especially if any aerobatics were involved.. and a Bucker can be very aerobatic..

A 56" span monoplane(1 wing obviously) would be underpowered with a .46, unless it was a flat-bottom wing trainer or something of the sort... as was stated, the inherent drag of a bipe would render the plane very sluggish .. at least thats what I'm thinking... I'd actually entertain going to a .75AX two-stroke, or look into the .OS.95V four-stroke... I've got one of those that would be excellent in a Bucker... they are a little pricey.. and mine isn't for sale.. haha.. but theres an idea for you. Good luck
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
I would rather use a 4 stroke in an aerobatic bipe...look at the .80 and small .90 size 4 strokes fromm magnum and os..for a stroke .46 sounds way to small to really do much.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Dont forget Saito they are great running dependable engines I second the 4 stroke idea. I think you would be alot more happy with 80 to 90 4 stroke.
blizzardflier is offline Find More Posts by blizzardflier
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:58 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
912 Posts
If this is the texasrcplanes Bucker Jungmann, then this is a light plane. But there is a lot of wind resistance, so a bigger engine would not be bad. I electrified mine, and with a 46 equivalent electric system, I never got the behavior out of it that I wanted from an aerobatic biplane trainer. The control surfaces on the wings were very small, and so the plane does not have that much maneuverability. This is the texasrcplanes version.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141