HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Help!
Need help with E-Flite AT-6 Texan Platinum Series

I'm having a serious issue getting my Texan off the ground and I took a look at it today at the field with some of the people there. The problem is that it rolls violently to the left during take-off and full right aileron isn't doing a thing to help it level out (servos are not reversed ). We thought we found the problem at the field and that it was that the motor is mounted flat on the firewall. But, I just looked at the manual for the plane and that is exactly how it shows it mounted. I'm running an E-Flite Power 32 outrunner in it and I had a 12x8 prop on it. One of the guys at the field recommended that I drop it down to an 11x6 or a 10x7 prop and to put the proper down thrust and right thrust angle on the motor. Does anyone else have any other ideas? I do believe that it definitely needs the thrust angle...but how much? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I love this plane and am getting super frustrated. This is my second maiden attempt and luckily the damage hasn't been too bad after each crash. Here's a video from today. I let out a "Son of a B" at the end so, if you have sensitive ears, be forewarned and turn your volume down
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Jun 13, 2014 at 08:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
More airspeed and liberal use of rudder.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:25 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,131 Posts
So far I have not seen an RC plane that didn't have some right thrust on the motor so that would help. Looks like you didn't have enough airspeed either and without enough airspeed right aileron would have made it worse, more right rudder would have helped.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Thanks for the help, I forgot to mention that my friend also mentioned that I need to use more of the runway and get my tail up before trying to take off. I've been used to flying planes with similar amount of power that can be taken off in a very short distance. This plane is a lot heavier than other planes I have that are similar in size. I have an 11x6 prop that I'll try, which I think will also help force me to keep it on the ground longer. I'm hoping that someone with this plane will chime in and let me know if they needed to add any right thrust to the motor. It's hard to tell if there is any built into the firewall.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
If it makes you feel any better -- it's just not an easy plane to fly. I mean, search the web for reviews -- lots of folks who have owned this plane have found it so. A buddy of mine has one; he's a very good pilot, but this plane gives him trouble. Very high wing loading, for one thing. That right there puts it off-limits for me.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Yes, you are trying to take off too quick. I would put some angle in the motor but need more ground speed and a gradual takeofff. Full right rudder and full elevator to hold the tail to the ground longer. As you speed up and it starts to get lift, let up some on the full up elevator up so you don't go into too steep of a climb and stall with that beautiful roll left.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Crawley
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
Had that plane. Got rid of it quickly. They are not easy at all. Has many problems and because of the short nose it is hard to balance so add some lead to it and bring your cg more forward than the instructions tell you. That might be the reason for your failed flights. As they say a tail heavy model does not fly. Don't get me wrong I love the look and it was a well built model but very expensive if you go for all the extras like I did. Hope you have some luck with is because it looks nice in the air
matthew_herbe is offline Find More Posts by matthew_herbe
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Aileron set up

I have looked closely at your video and have two comments. As others have said, use more runway!! At proper take off speed it will lift off at close to neutral elevator. The other comment has to do with your ailerons. In your video they both appear to be down, are you using a flaperon mix? If so ditch the mix during take off, if not mixing check both ailerons to insure they line up properly with the wing surface.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_herbe View Post
Had that plane. Got rid of it quickly. They are not easy at all. Has many problems and because of the short nose it is hard to balance so add some lead to it and bring your cg more forward than the instructions tell you. That might be the reason for your failed flights. As they say a tail heavy model does not fly. Don't get me wrong I love the look and it was a well built model but very expensive if you go for all the extras like I did. Hope you have some luck with is because it looks nice in the air
I've been looking for a long time for a decent mid-size balsa AT-6 that isn't quite such a pig. Closest I've found is the one at airborne-models, aka The World Models. But still looking. I actually purchased the E-Flite AT-6 one day, and brought it back to the hobby shop the very next day after reading the reviews and threads. It's a good looker, I'll give it that.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Man, you guys have no idea how much better these comments make me feel. Matthew, I did go for all the extras and also installed E-Flite electric retracts as well as one of the MrRC Sound system. I've put a lot of money into the electronics so I'm hoping I can get it off the ground and back down safely next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
I have looked closely at your video and have two comments. As others have said, use more runway!! At proper take off speed it will lift off at close to neutral elevator. The other comment has to do with your ailerons. In your video they both appear to be down, are you using a flaperon mix? If so ditch the mix during take off, if not mixing check both ailerons to insure they line up properly with the wing surface.

Dennis
Hi Dennis, I don't have any aileron mixing in place, but there's a good chance I have my ailerons setup incorrectly. The ailerons on this plane are either flat with the top of the wing surface or with the bottom wing surface. The manual doesn't say whether it should be flat with the top, flat with the bottom, or centered. I guessed and made it flat with the bottom of the wing. Do you have any idea if that is incorrect for this plane? The manual for this plane is pretty big, but they left a lot of important details out of it.
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
Man, you guys have no idea how much better these comments make me feel. Matthew, I did go for all the extras and also installed E-Flite electric retracts as well as one of the MrRC Sound system. I've put a lot of money into the electronics so I'm hoping I can get it off the ground and back down safely next time.

Hi Dennis, I don't have any aileron mixing in place, but there's a good chance I have my ailerons setup incorrectly. The ailerons on this plane are either flat with the top of the wing surface or with the bottom wing surface. The manual doesn't say whether it should be flat with the top, flat with the bottom, or centered. I guessed and made it flat with the bottom of the wing. Do you have any idea if that is incorrect for this plane? The manual for this plane is pretty big, but they left a lot of important details out of it.

The ailerons at nutural should be even with the back edge of the wing. Your plane looks to have them down as in a flap position. Not trying to be a smart A@# but when you do aile right, the right one goes up and the left one goes down. Opposite for a left turn. I may just be confused with your question????
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Crawley
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
also another thing to check that i had problems with is the elevator make sure it is not warped as mine was. also check to make sure each half travels the same amount as the dual servo setup is a pain in the ar$e. once its in the air its not that hard to fly but watch the expensive retracts when landing as the mount for them are not the strongest either.
matthew_herbe is offline Find More Posts by matthew_herbe
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:40 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
Hi Dennis, I don't have any aileron mixing in place, but there's a good chance I have my ailerons setup incorrectly. The ailerons on this plane are either flat with the top of the wing surface or with the bottom wing surface. The manual doesn't say whether it should be flat with the top, flat with the bottom, or centered. I guessed and made it flat with the bottom of the wing. .

The ailerons should match the line of the T/E of the wing and appear to be an extension of the top of the wing. Also when I said use more runway, what I mean is to move the throttle forward smoothly, not jam it, allow the tail to rise to reduce the angle of attack on the wing. By the time you reach full throttle it should lift off slowly on its own. I hope this helps.

Dennis
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
The ailerons at nutural should be even with the back edge of the wing. Your plane looks to have them down as in a flap position. Not trying to be a smart A@# but when you do aile right, the right one goes up and the left one goes down. Opposite for a left turn. I may just be confused with your question????
What I was trying to explain was that the ailerons don't seem to line up properly. I assumed that they were hinged at the factory, but the person Ibought the ARF off of could have installed them incorrectly. I just liked at them again and both sides look like these photos. I'm going to remove the hinges and radio them because this looks fast from correct. As you can see from the 2 pictures, if I line up one end of the aileron to the wing, the other end is misaligned.

Attachment 5378764

Attachment 5378765

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_herbe View Post
also another thing to check that i had problems with is the elevator make sure it is not warped as mine was. also check to make sure each half travels the same amount as the dual servo setup is a pain in the ar$e. once its in the air its not that hard to fly but watch the expensive retracts when landing as the mount for them are not the strongest either.
I'll check the elevators out, thanks for the tip. My first takeoff attempt already ripped the landing gear out of the wing so that's beefed up now and hopefully will be all set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
The ailerons should match the line of the T/E of the wing and appear to be an extension of the top of the wing. Also when I said use more runway, what I mean is to move the throttle forward smoothly, not jam it, allow the tail to rise to reduce the angle of attack on the wing. By the time you reach full throttle it should lift off slowly on its own. I hope this helps.

Dennis
Thanks for the additional info. I watched a bunch of videos last night and noticed that the RC pilots used a lot of runway. I also noticed a LOT of crashes from failed takeoffs. I wish I saw those before I bought the plane, but now im determined to learn how to fly this plane correctly. It's shame that the Texans in RealFlight don't display this type of behavior because I'd rather learn on a simulator model than my own.
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Jun 15, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Wing Twist

Based on your photos there is a real problem with your ailerons or wing. Check the wing for twist. Twist in the wing will also cause the problem your having. The wing needs to be straight along the L/E and the T/E. The ailerons should match the line of the T/E at both ends. Don't try flying until you have solved the aileron alignment. Good luck.

Dennis