HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
Air Assassin
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Build Log
Super Bandit 70mm edf

I decided to build the Super Bandit at 109% out of $treefoam and put a 70mm edf in it. I will not bore you with the plans to pieces steps. So from pieces cut and ready I started to see that I needed a thicker and stiffer wing.
Solutionafter listening to you guys and looking at your build pics , and using my own thoughts I went with 2 carbon spars in the wing. Wing is now 3 layers thick . I will also be incorporating some balsa on Ailerons and Elev as well as wing leading edge. I'm rather confident that it will still be lighter than my Dynam Meteor(pic of that), if not equal. I put 1 carbon spar in Horiz Stab and 2 spars in Vert Stab. Yeah..they aren't flimsy now at all.
I lined bottom of battery compartment with Bass wood(thanx Walt) and will do insides of fuse with same .
At this point I am still trying to control some sort of budget, but I dont feel like gutting the Meteor to complete this build...so...NEW STUFF IS PROBABLY COMING!!!
Until then I keep the build moving .
RogueAce is offline Find More Posts by RogueAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Great start Craig! this is a great flying plane! Keep up the great work! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:30 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
subbed.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Thanx for the support guys ! I'll post pics from tonites work in morning.

Walt ..I agree fastest glue possible. I got the low temp glue working well also.
So now I am using 4 glues..LOL..yep. 3m77 for laminate, Hot glue, the CA w/out kicker(gotta hold in position forever) and the Elmers Woodglue Max(inside edge seams-like caulk). She is coming together nicely.

I also have been using Subterrain Foam Putty (Train section @ LHS) for filler.
AWESOME stuff !! Like drywall spackel ..and I am wicked with a putty knife.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
And the build goes on. Last night I started the fuselage. Reenforced battery compartment with some light basswood. Also used some as laminate on bulkhead.
I mounted nosecone and filled with Subterrain and will blend today.
Canopy almost finished as well.
Today is more wing work. The balsa goes in leading edge and on edges of Horz Stab and Ailerons. Gonna be tricky . Then its airfoil shaping.
I've decided NOT to cannibalize the Meteor for motor ,esc and such, so I will have to forget the budget and get new stuff. The Delta V-15 69mm will be fan with the BL-15 motor. Will also get a new esc and also a new radio...DXi6 w/recievers.

Back to the LHS !!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
hrm. So your on a budget build, but throw in a new radio and receivers too? lol .. Until this turnigy 9x fails me, don't think i'll buy a new radio. My favorite part is the 6 dollar receivers I can get.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Yeah Stinger, looks like the budget that I set is toast. LOL
This build was supposed to receive all guts from the Meteor(upon its demise).
However ..to finish this build I would have to take all the stuff out now anyway.
So.......(you see where I'm going with this.... ) I may as well get new .
The radio decision is because my current system is the Dynam 2.4ghz stuff that came with the Meteor. (from what I've heard it's not reliable...and all my old equip was sold off several yrs ago. I've been out of game for a bit )
So again....it's a matter of necessity over desire....at least that's what I'm telling myself.

C
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
USA, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2006
426 Posts
I'm amazed at the work you guys do with foam. I do have a question, do you remove the paper that is on this $tree foam. It seems to be a poster board kind of material to me, I could be wrong, am I ? While I prefer balsa it's great work you're doing and keep it up. Your build looks great.
335driver is offline Find More Posts by 335driver
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Yes I do remove the paper, but not until I'm ready to assemble a section. Keeps from getting any damage and I can still have all my measurement marks for reference. Then when I'm ready I just peel off paper and glue.

Thanx for the encouragement...stay tuned and see how it turns out.

C
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
have you thought about the 10 blade 70mm fan from HK? it'll save you a bit of money over the E-Flite offering, plus it will sound a whole bunch better. the E-Flite fan is the most ear-piercing, pile of crap I've ever owned. it gets the job done, but the sound is horrible.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:46 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Great thought. The only reason I was thinking the E-Flite....they have it @LHS.
Had a bit of an issue getting the Meteor online.(long story short, website said came w/charger...none sent..had to track down owner of company..called him on cell, finally got piece ofcharger.)
If you could give me name of one of your tested and true sites, I'd be more than happy to look them up.

The Dynam 70mm in the Meteor isn't very quiet either. And as expected the Radio system isn't reliable. Started wiggin out today. Had throttle but no controls at long distance.

C
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Latest pics of progress. Wing and Horz stab have been inset w/balsa and are ready for hinges. All are sanded to airfoil and can be covered. I covered the exposed carbon spars in the inlets to give a clean airflow. Feathered out the leading edge to make smoothe transition. On to the aft fuse,exhaust tube ,motor mount and servo installment. Wing is almost thick enough for servos to go in wing.
I'll think on it.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:36 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Hey Walt..Did you cut in an access hatch to service EDF? The battery hatch ,as you know, is way forward of that.
Also...I found that the unit sits awfully close to end of center fuse...was yours the same?? Did you do any intake ducting?? I was thinking of a collector to attach to front,using styro cup, but again...distance is very short.

Any help is always appreciated.
Thanx
C
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Definitely get the 10 blade 70mm. You can get it all locally motor esc and fan for like 65 bucks. Fan from scaleflying.com dynam 80a esc and exceed 2700kv motor from hobbypartz. Put it on 4s for around 53oz thrust
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:54 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueAce View Post
Hey Walt..Did you cut in an access hatch to service EDF? The battery hatch ,as you know, is way forward of that.
Also...I found that the unit sits awfully close to end of center fuse...was yours the same?? Did you do any intake ducting?? I was thinking of a collector to attach to front,using styro cup, but again...distance is very short.

Any help is always appreciated.
Thanx
C
Craig, no access for the fan on my last one, (built one before this one and had a removable wing).. Mount the fan more rearward if you can, I have my battery pushed all the way back into the "V" and it is still nose heavy, but flies pretty good. Yes I did do sme duct work, I'd have to go back to the thread to see how much,, just keep everything out of the airflow, keep it sealed up, and make smooth transitions. Also if you look at the intakes on mine they are cut say down from the stock size which was toooooo big.. Tried to keep at around 100% FSA on the intakes and 85% FSA on the exhaust.. Hope this helps. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg