HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Yeh. If it comes into stock now, I just won't have time for the build anyway, so whatever happens, happens.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:08 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Yeh. If it comes into stock now, I just won't have time for the build anyway, so whatever happens, happens.
oh man - that sux Grazer - sorry to hear that you have sold all your innards that were destined for the Mystique...

The latest ETA from ModelFlight is that it's due in stock this coming week - apparently - so I'll have to see if that eventuates or not.

All this windy weather we've been having lately would probably suit the Mystique to a tee...

timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,846 Posts
Best Tail Attachment?

I am looking for opinions on how to best secure the horizontal, and still have it removable for storage/transport? The manual suggests a glue stick on the carbon rods will "break" loose for removal.

For those that take off the tail, what do you do?
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:30 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,060 Posts
HOLDING ON THE TAIL

Removeable h-stabs are common. Glue sitck ( at your office supply store) Commonly used to stick pieces of paper together for "paste-up" boards or foam core display boards. Plenty strong for paper, but it won't form a strong bond to wood or carbon or metal. Just enough.
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Washa...product_334641

The goal is create some friction or adheasion, not to bond the tail to the rod. Well known to experienced glider pilots.

bees wax, it is sticky, not slippery like parafin wax. You would not use this to lubricate your wooden drawer slides.
http://www.amazon.com/Bars-100%25-OR...4372109&sr=1-1

On my Sagitta 600 I just bent the metal rods slightly so they were not perfectly parallel. Flew it that way for years with nothing else to hold it on.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,846 Posts
aeajr, thx twice now!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:29 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
oh man - that sux Grazer - sorry to hear that you have sold all your innards that were destined for the Mystique...

The latest ETA from ModelFlight is that it's due in stock this coming week - apparently - so I'll have to see if that eventuates or not.

All this windy weather we've been having lately would probably suit the Mystique to a tee...
It's all good. I will get one eventually.........
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1 Posts
Nice plane.....looks great.
Can someone please tell me what the chord is at 5 cm from the tip, the beginning of the aileron, and the end of the wing is?

Thank you, Leo.
leo holland is offline Find More Posts by leo holland
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Tail heavy as compared to the specs or tail heavy based on how it flies? In general, tail heavy is bad, but that is based on how it flies, not on specs.

SETTING THE CG

This has been mentioned before but is worth repeating. The starting CG setting on most gliders is a recommendation, not a law. That CG setting should get you safely into the sky. Then you tune.

My experience with most gliders is that the "stock" CG is a bit more forward than I prefer. But I still start from that point. It is best to work the CG back, over many flights, to get the best trim. What will work for me may be too rearward for you.

People post their CG settings, but if it is rearward of the stock CG, and you are not an experienced glider pilot, you may not want to start that far back. Just a thought.

I have flown gliders of very accomplished pilots were the CG is so far back I found it hard to fly the glider, but they loved it there. I have flown other contest gliders where the aircraft seemed nose heavy to me, but they beat me with that glider every day of the week because that is what worked for them.

Start with the specs, but leave room to adjust, usually rearward. If you put lead in the nose or tail to get the stock CG, leave some of it as easily removeable so you can tune the CG based on flight performance or based on your personal preferences.

If you are set up for electric flight and have several battery packs, weigh them. If your battery pack is not right on the CG, you may need to strap on some lead to even them out.
Guys, to save you some time I did a lot of C of G testing. Furthest back I ran was 122mm, and furthest forward was 117. 120mm seem ideal for me. As for the position on the wing being a long way back, it's not back that far, it's around 28% of AMC, remember it's a swept back wing, wing sweep effects the physical position of the C of G.
Camber settings. Speed 1mm up. Cruse level TE, Thermal 3.5mm down. Again lots of testing was done to obtain these settings.

Pete
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:09 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,060 Posts
An easy way to play with CG.

Normally, during set-up, you end up adding some lead to the nose to get the balance right. Getting that lead out can be a pain, so leave it there till you are sure you have the balance you want.

If you feel you want to move the CG rearward, use 1/4 oz stick on weights or coins (a quarter is about .22 ounces). You can tape weight to the tail, just in front of the vert stab to try a more rearward CG. Add 1/4 or one quarter at a time. Take it slow.

Usually when I am doing this I add, then fly. Then add, then fly. I do this till I get the CG too rearward, then I remove the last one, confirm I am happy with the way it flies and fly it that way for the rest of the day and maybe one more day with slightly different conditions.

I make sure to secure it with a full wrap of electric tape so it can't come off. A 1/4 oz may not sound like much, but falling from 1000 feet it can do damage to property or hurt someone. So make sure it is secure. This way you can adjust your CG quickly and easily without taking the plane apart.

Add coins or weights a little at a time. Launch, retrim and fly. Once you get it where you like it you have found your happy CG. Now, put it back on the balancer, note the CG.

Don't base your final CG on a spot decision. Make sure you get in plenty of flight time before you commit.
On a dead calm day you will find you can move that CG WAY back and be happy. But if you get it too far back and you get any breeze at all it may become so unstable it is unflyable. Calm is the best testing time as you know you are reading the plane and not the breeze. But you still need enough stability to fly with some breeze.

Now you remove the temp weights. Add or remove weight from the nose, if that is what is needed.

If you have removed all the weight from the nose and are still not where you want to be, add it as close to the tail as possible. Opening the servo access port on the tail should give you a good place to glue in weight. Remember the farther you place the weight from the CG the less you will need. 1/4 oz in the tail will move the CG more than 1/4 oz in the nose because, in the tail, it is farther away from the CG.

I am not the wizard, just a guy who may have more glider expereince than you. So I share what I do and have done and what has worked for me. Your smileage may vary.
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,846 Posts
Pete, thanks for the input. Again, the quality of this kit is just awesome. She is beautiful. Its always nice to hear "the word" from Horizon. I am experienced at RC, but not in gliding. This thread has been very helpful for us newbs.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
@aeajr

I just wanted to acknowledge how valuable your posts have been over the couple of years I've been a member of these forums. It's much appreciated.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:17 PM
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
@aeajr

I just wanted to acknowledge how valuable your posts have been over the couple of years I've been a member of these forums. It's much appreciated.
I concur!
Rayven is offline Find More Posts by Rayven
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:28 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,060 Posts
glad to help
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:11 PM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
210 Posts
Re - COG

I said I was a newbie when I first introduced myself and man did I ever make one heck of a mistake.

I was about 45 grams short of getting the correct COG (118-122 MM). I had a piece of masking tape with a pencil mark underneath the wing to measure 120 MM. I did not measure that from the leading edge of the wing.... I measured that from the end of the wing closest to the body to the tip of the wing.(LOL).

I now have the tape marked correctly at 120 MM from the leading edge of the wing and the COG is bang on as per the Manual

dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:53 PM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
210 Posts
Taping the wings

I never did like the idea to taping the wing so came up with this idea.
It works great...
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan