HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:19 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
New Product
TechOne 40" Tempo 3D EPP @ RCPlaneBuilder.com

I have been waiting for this one and its finally here! This is the new TechOne 40" Tempo 3D EPP RC Plane.. If you are interested in it's younger sibling, the Mini Tempo 3D I have a thread for it as well. TechOne Mini Tempo 3D EPP Thread

I would like to use this thread as a build thread with detailed pictures as well as flying videos and to answer any questions anyone might have.

40" Tempo 3D EPP w/ Tiger AT2216 motor & Prop on RCPlaneBuilder.com

Introduction:

The Tempo 3D EPP plane with the powerful Tiger AT2216 motor ($40 retail value motor) is one of the latest 3D plane offerings from TechOne. It features a high level of build completion at the factory and (I think) an awesome design with fully printed graphics. The EPP construction makes it durable, so it's well suited for someone just learning 3D flying and the experienced 3D pilot a like.

The Tempo 3D EPP has a rigid, symmetrical airfoil that is well suited for outdoors and will fly in winds that leave smaller 3D planes grounded. The horizontal and vertical fuselage uses 20mm (3/4") EPP with embedded carbon fiber. This makes for a rigid design with out the need for extensive carbon fiber bracing.

Manufacture Specifications:
  • Fuselage length: 1020mm (40.1in.)
  • Wingspan: 1000mm (39.4in.)
  • Flying Weight:610--650g (21.5-22.9oz) with battery
  • Motor: Tiger AT2216 w/bullet connectors (included)
  • Propeller: 10x4.7 (1 included)
  • ESC: 30 AMP (required)
  • Servos: 4ea - 8g - 12g (required)
  • Radio: 4+ Channel TX & RX (required)
  • Battery: 1300mAh - 1500mAh 3S 11.1v (required)

The quality looks great on this kit and with the high level of completion it builds really quickly.

Thanks for following!
Kevin

RCPlaneBuilder.com
WickedFunRC is online now Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Aug 11, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
The Tempo 3D is 90% complete at the factory, so the build is really quite easy. You also get full color instructions that are well written with the kit. I took some pictures of my build and included some tips that I've picked up over the years and attached them as well.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a plane kit that builds any easier than these do.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Aug 10, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
Flight videos:

This video has clips of me using both the 1350mAh Pro-PACkS and some old 1800mAh batteries. I'm using the milder 1060HD prop. Video is shacky, I need to get a better quality video camera. It's best viewd in HD.

TechOne Tempo 3D.wmv (4 min 5 sec)
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Sep 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
Looks great! How big are the wheels? I may pick one of these up from you at some time in the future. The landing gear needs to be able to handle gravel though.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:59 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
Looks great! How big are the wheels? I may pick one of these up from you at some time in the future. The landing gear needs to be able to handle gravel though.
Hey Jack the R, haven't heard from you in a while!

The wheels are 2", you might need to go to a larger wheel for gravel. This plane does look really good! I can't wait to start the build on it so my Mini Tempo can have a companion.

Thanks,
Kevin
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
Is the axle wide enough for a 3" wheel?

How fast is this plane?

Is the wing removable?

I've been flying the heck out of the Breeze Pro, but I may have to rename it the "Break Pro." Last night I made a gentle landing and the firewall tore off. I glued it back on and went to fly it a few minutes ago. About ten seconds in I pulled a half throttle loop and the external bracing pulled out of the wing on one side. My hot glue gun should be warmed up so I'm going to go glue the bracing back on and try again

Great plane but a little delicate to be outside.
Last edited by Jack the R; Jul 28, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:58 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
Is the axle wide enough for a 3" wheel?

How fast is this plane?

Is the wing removable?

I've been flying the heck out of the Breeze Pro, but I may have to rename it the "Break Pro." Last night I made a gentle landing and the firewall tore off. I glued it back on and went to fly it a few minutes ago. About ten seconds in I pulled a half throttle loop and the external bracing pulled out of the wing on one side. My hot glue gun should be warmed up so I'm going to go glue the bracing back on and try again

Great plane but a little delicate to be outside.
The axle is 1 1/4", so with the wheel collar you have about 1" width for the wheel which would be fine for a narrow 3" wheel.

I haven't flown this one yet, but I was honestly more concerned with the Mini Tempo having a high wing loading and it actually will fly quite slow, and fast when you want it too. So judging by that, I imagine this one will fly slow by outdoor plane standards. I'm really looking forward to it, the Mini Tempo is a real treat to fly. The wing is not removable on the Tempo.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
I like the Mini-Tempo too, except for the indoor landing gear. I've got a few feet of grass I can belly land in, but I don't always hit it, even with the Breeze Pro. I haven't damaged the EPP Sukhoi with gravel belly landings yet, but it seems like it's just a matter of time. The Mini-Tempo is too nice for that kind of abuse.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:04 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
Hey All, I completed assembly last week and have now have flown the Tempo a handful of times. I'll try to get more build pics and info up soon.

I rushed in a maiden flight before work a couple of days back and here's the video. It was fairly windy and I didn't take the time to set up the plane properly. Let's just say I did some durability testing as well and it passed.

TechOne Tempo 3D Maiden flight (and durability test :D ) (2 min 17 sec)

I don't know how many times I've told myself not to rush a maiden flight.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:12 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2006
3 Posts
How do you like the way it flies? Any bad habits? Strong points?
els4bellz is online now Find More Posts by els4bellz
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
I've now had a chance to fly it over the last couple of evenings in somewhat calm winds. All my other flights have been in pretty strong wind. Unfortunately I didn't get any video from the last couple of evenings.

My Setup:

With this one I wanted to try building with the heaviest servos for the spec to make sure it still balanced ok. I also built per the instrutions and didn't go out of my way to save weight.
  • Servos: 4- 13g Corona 929 Metal Gear Digital (2- 300mm extensions required)
  • Batteries: 1350mAh and 1050mAh 3S 35C Pro-PACKS
  • Motor: Tiger AT2216 1250kv 70g(included)
  • ESC: 30 amp Suppo
  • Prop: 10x4.7 SF (included) and 11x5.5E
  • AUW: 23.5 oz w/1350mAh 3S 35C battery
  • Airframe only Weight: < 12 oz
  • Flight Times (mixed throttle): 6-7 minutes with 1350mAh and 4-5 minutes with 1050mAh

If someone wanted to build this with lighter servos, the 1050mAh batteries and other minor weight saving measures they could have a real floater. It's still a gentle flying plane at the 23.5 oz though.

Flight:

I really like the construction of these planes! The thick EPP vertical and horzontal fuse along with the embeded carbon fiber and airfoiled wing make for a really rigid airframe. I feel really connected to the plane when I fly it.

The Tempo has a nice flight envelope. It flies relatively slow but will pickup speed for dramatic tumbles, etc. It doesn't have any bad stall tendencies. You will need to keep some throttle on but I've found that's typical for a plane of this size/weight.

It has an insane roll rate! I setup dual rates because it's almost to fast for my thumbs otherwise.

Spins, tumbles, blenders, parachutes and snap rolls are dramatic. I really have fun with them. Harriers have very little wing rock and it does really nice elevators.

It took me a while to get used to hovering this plane. At first I attributed it to the shorter fuse, but last night I discovered I was pulsing the throttle to high and feeding in to much controls causing it to over correct. I've since smoothed it out.

As mine is equipped, there is some slight roll coupling to the landing gear in knife edge. It's not enough that I would normally mix it out. But for fun I mixed it and 4%-5% aileron to rudder took care of it. I imagine some extra light wheels would take care of it, but it is really minor to me.

The other thing I have tried is swapping out the 10x4.7 included prop with an 11x5.5E prop. I have noticed on similar sized planes this helps get more air over the control surfaces in slow/stalled flight. The 10" prop wasn't bad, but the 11" did improve it. It also has crazy pull with the 11" I haven't measured the amps yet with the 11" prop, but I imagine you don't want to go WOT for to long with it.

Durability:

I was honestly concerned with durability of this plane. Typical EPP planes are much more flexible, so I figure this one might not take the beating that I was used to, but I was wrong. I slammed it into the ground once pretty hard. I had it on low rates and didn't quite complete a rolling loop. I thought for sure it was going to be broken up pretty bad. The only damage was the little pilot broke loose, the motor mount broke loose on top, and one of the aileron servo arms broke (the plastic, not the fiberglass extension). These were quick fixes with some glue and a new arm. I've since had minor crashes with zero damage.

I will try to get some additional video up soon.

Thanks,
Kevin
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:07 PM
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Mar 2007
366 Posts
techone

hi Kevin i am going to order one of the 40 in tempos how is the tail twist? and how does the landing gear work out in grass.... thanks
corsair214 is offline Find More Posts by corsair214
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:43 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair214 View Post
hi Kevin i am going to order one of the 40 in tempos how is the tail twist? and how does the landing gear work out in grass.... thanks
Hi corsair214, good questions. I haven't noticed any tail twist at all, but I'm going to fly it with the intention of watching it more closely. So far I've just hand launched and caught it or spot landed it in the field. I'll see if I can take it to the park tonight and take off and land on the grass.

Thanks,
Kevin
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:03 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
Successful grass take offs & landings.

Ok, I went down to the park and did several take offs and landings on the grass. It wasn't super long grass, but it wasn't freshly cut either. I just held some up elevator to keep the nose up. Of course with the power it could get off the ground in a few feet, but I held it out a few times to 15-20 feet or so.

It was windy so I didn't actually fly it to much, but I did do some crazy rollers into the wind and couldn't see any tail twist.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
Wow, that roll rate really is impressive? There was a point where it looked like you were hovering it a little nose up in the wind and rolling at the same time. Are you that fast on the sticks or are the rolls super axial?

It's certainly fast - could be too much for my spot. I need to get better before trying that one.