Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 03, 2011, 03:48 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
My new portable ground station, works good!!
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 03:59 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAP View Post
that is EXACTLY what i plan to do
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:56 PM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
690 Posts
I see the 910mhz circ. polarized omni set on the website. Does anyone have a pic of the 910mhz antenna at all with anything for size comparison?
Grips is offline Find More Posts by Grips
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:12 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
I'll take one of my SPW when I get home, but it's about 6-7 inches across I'd say.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:33 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
EDIT: this is a CL, but the dimensions should be similar.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:46 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
690 Posts
whoa.. no kidding about how the lower the mhz the larger the antenna.. Has anyone put one of these 900mhz antennas on a plane? Any issues with durability from regular flying?
Grips is offline Find More Posts by Grips
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:10 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
whoa.. no kidding about how the lower the mhz the larger the antenna.. Has anyone put one of these 900mhz antennas on a plane? Any issues with durability from regular flying?
lots of people have, great antenna.

As far as durability, most people just bend them back after a big crash. They tend to stand up well, depending on where you put them. Even a slightly out of shape CL still works great, and at 900mhz it's alot easier to "eyeball it".

That picture does make it look larger than it is The shape of the thing misleads you about it's size.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:45 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAP View Post
That's what I use

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:47 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
The antenna will hold up fine if you use .035-.045" welding wire. Making it at 900 MHz is a real pain. It is not easy trying to get all the lobes to stay put. This is why I no longer make them. It's takes me entirely too long.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:09 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Quote:
I use a 910mhz cloverleaf on the top of the stabilizer on my Skywalker and it does not affect the flight in any way.

pc_pilot
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:52 AM
Joined Oct 2011
106 Posts
I've got a 900Mhz SPW that I'm planning on mounting on a quad. Big antenna on a small quad, big problem right?

2 questions;
A)will a gopro within 10cm affect it too much?
B) As I'm still waiting for a SMA-F adaptor, I'm keen to play around with it. I was planning on running a short distance (<300m) with CP to linear. I should expect about 3db of loss is that correct? Is there any other reason I shouldn't be doing this?

Thanks!
smarm is offline Find More Posts by smarm
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:49 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
I've got a 900Mhz SPW that I'm planning on mounting on a quad. Big antenna on a small quad, big problem right?

2 questions;
A)will a gopro within 10cm affect it too much?
B) As I'm still waiting for a SMA-F adaptor, I'm keen to play around with it. I was planning on running a short distance (<300m) with CP to linear. I should expect about 3db of loss is that correct? Is there any other reason I shouldn't be doing this?

Thanks!
A) -> possible. GoPros are notorioiusly know for their IME radiation. Pack it in silverfoil if needed. If I'm not mistaken, there are sides of the GoPro which are radiating heavier than others, so maybe placing it differently helps. By all means make a serious range test!

B) Nope, nothing wrong with trying. You loose the 3dB, that's it.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:10 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,424 Posts
Alex, I read on one of the posts on Hugo's thread I think that you have to remove resistor from the airwave rx module inside the sharks for any of the Closed Loop antennas. Because of DC bias used

Is that true? Does it make much difference?

I ask, because I only tested my antennas on the sharks - and I very carefully made several including 3,4 and 8 lobe variations of SPW,Turbine and clover. Didn't really notice any improvement over omni with 2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That's what I use

-Alex
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:56 AM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Alex, I read on one of the posts on Hugo's thread I think that you have to remove resistor from the airwave rx module inside the sharks for any of the Closed Loop antennas. Because of DC bias used

I ask, because I only tested my antennas on the sharks - and I very carefully made several including 3,4 and 8 lobe variations of SPW,Turbine and clover. Didn't really notice any improvement over omni with 2.4.
Im using the skew on my FS Dominators and it works fine, must be the older FS models.
I noticed less dropouts/multipathing over the stock dipole omni.
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:58 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post

It's only an issue with the FatShark Aviators.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member