HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:33 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
mihcmac, I just fitted a broken CF flybar to a broken inner stock shaft. Good fit! I fly CF and Xtreme so, you should be good to go. I don't understand why you need two flybar links. I've been flying outdoors shortly after my join date and I have never had a problem. In fact, I can't remember the last time I heard of any member flying their V4 with two links. Also in fact, I have never, ever, lost a link. Broke a couple,,,never lost one. Two links=more friction. More friction=TBE. I can only assume they are adjustable links and that you are losing the bottom half of the link only? Do you use CA to keep the top half of the threaded rod in place? What kind of links are they? Tell us more because IMHO this doesn't sound right. Mine are Xtreme (ESL048) but, even the stock adjustable are good.

Once you fly an Xtreme flybar, you'll never look at another stock flybar ever again. You can take that to the bank

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Sep 11, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:09 AM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
912 Posts
mike.. I will have to try a cf xtreme flybar.. right now I am using a no-name esky copy that has a stainless wire with xtreme links and is working well.. I have to deal with gusty wind all of the time, it can be completely still then out of nowhere I get blown into a tree or worse.. I lost one of my v912's to the jungle.. but that is what its like living on an island.. at least I can usually fly every day, dusk or dawn are usually the calmest times of the day.. I do use 2 adjustable links and have to make sure that they do not bind at all.. they have to be a little on the loose side.. so I like to use older ones that have worn a bit.. but I haven't lost one since I started using 2 links..

had a good flight today first time in while without the upper part of the shaft wobbling.. and I installed some heatsinks, I made, that extended my flight time.. motors were getting pretty hot.. these are kind of crude, I am working on a better design..

john
mihcmac is offline Find More Posts by mihcmac
Last edited by mihcmac; Sep 12, 2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:03 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,863 Posts
Is the yoke on the top of the inner shaft a stock one or aftermarket? The stock, plastic yoke that holds the flybar is a joke! You are just as likely to lose a whole flybar as just a link. That yoke needs to be metal. Even though the aftermarket inner shafts come with metal heads, the U-shaped cap that is held on by two tiny screws is also something that most of us do NOT use. We use the infamous bullet mod which just uses a small piece of 2MM rod with some fuel tubing to keep the flybar in place. This gives you point contact versus the entire U being in contact with the flybar hub which gives you added friction.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Those flybar links don't even look "remotely" like adjustable. How in the world could you lose a link of that design. BTW, how do your top blades track?

Mike.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
912 Posts
ok ok, I used to loose my flybar, my links are adjustable 2 pieces with a threaded rod in between..

the links on the blue v6 are the way it came from the factory.. they are adjustable..

since I started using 2 links I have not lost a flybar..

the tracking of the upper blade is done the traditional way but both links have to be adjusted exactly the same or the heli will be unstable... both too short or too long they will bind and will pop off..

I like my new yellow xtreme blades they are very easy to see when adjusting the tracking..

john
Last edited by mihcmac; Sep 12, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,863 Posts
I can see in the closer, larger picture that it is a plastic yoke and that's just what it is, a YOKE! The plastic spreads apart and the flybar, with one link, does NOT want to stay in it. TOSS IT!!!!!!!!!!!! You need separation between the lower and upper blade sets to prevent blade clash, so, get yourself an Extreme extended shaft. It's a misnomer, so, here goes: The shaft is actually a stock length and it's the head that is taller, thus giving you more distance between upper and lower. The head is metal and holds the shaft by a set screw - no GRUB screws allowed. You can replace the shaft with a standard shaft if it gets bent and keep the extended head. The metal head has a cap with U-shaped features to hold the flybar in place. This isn't always a good thing because it can cause more friction. In place of the cap with its two super tiny screws to hold it on, you use a piece of CF rod and keep it in place with fuel tubing = The Bullet Mod. When it comes to lifting the heli, you don't lift it by the flybar, you lift it by the CF rod that is the Bullet Mod.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:22 PM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
912 Posts
kodak_jack.... so what you are saying is that all i need for the bullet mod is the extened xtreme inner +8mm shaft.. not the whole xtreme rebuild kit.. so i could do this on my v6 as well... hmm

i see you are into the p51 looks like a D.. did they get the laminar wing to work at scale.. how about the sound of the rr merlin..
Last edited by mihcmac; Sep 12, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:21 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,863 Posts
I have both the version 1 and the version 2 UM Mustang by Parkzone. The version 2 has the 3-axis gyro that is supposed to help in wind. I'll have to admit that going to this from a Champ has not been easy. The Champ is like a coax in that it lets you turn using only rudder - simple. The 4 channel has ailerons and using them to turn has been more of a challenge than I expected. You have to keep it going at a pretty good clip so it doesn't stall in the turns. That means you had better know what you're doing traveling at twice the Champ speed. Certainly not as easy as I had thought.
Yes, all you need for the bullet mod is a metal head. The CF rod will go through the top instead of the cap and it extends through the threaded holes for the screws that hold the cap on. Those super tiny screws come out and I guarantee you'd never find them, so, take them out and save them for whatever.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
912 Posts
the bullet mod sounds pretty simple and would solve some of the problems I have with my v4.. kool..

one of the main things I learned flying foamies, in the early 90's, to deal with the wind and other things was more motor fixs just about everything..
Last edited by mihcmac; Sep 13, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
mihcmac, Consider buying this inner shaft and extended head (12mm):
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem.../esl026-12.htm

They also have the 8mm but, I would get the 12mm:
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem.../esl026-08.htm

While you're at it, get yourself a "decent" swashplate. This has given me great service. Had it for years and survived many crashes. Worth every penny
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem...4_p/esl034.htm

And, lets not forget the "Bullet mod" so that way you can loose that cap on the extended head. You'll never loose a flybar again AND you can go back to one link...MUCH, MUCH, better

Mike.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:23 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,863 Posts
The flybar in Mike's picture is a shortened one(probably from Boomtown Hobbies) with adjustable weights. It has set screws in the weights so you can adjust the position relative to the center. It's great for making the heli more agile, but the weights have to be exactly equal distances from the center, easily done with a machinist's 6" scale or equivalent.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The flybar in Mike's picture is a shortened one(probably from Boomtown Hobbies) with adjustable weights. It has set screws in the weights so you can adjust the position relative to the center. It's great for making the heli more agile, but the weights have to be exactly equal distances from the center, easily done with a machinist's 6" scale or equivalent.
That is the CF flybar. Can't remember if it was Xtreme or not. Dang, I loved that flybar. Light as a feather with the weights a bit on the inside...oooooo

NOTE: CF don't bend. No need to check it after each crash to make sure it's not bent. Don't listen to the BS that they (CF) snap easy. They are very robust

Mike.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,863 Posts
Did anybody ever get a flybar made using the CF rod and the Xtreme center section?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:
Did anybody ever get a flybar made using the CF rod and the Xtreme center section?
Jack, all my ducks are all in a row. Just too dang lazy to order the parts OR pay any attention to my V4 for now I think Boomtown used to sell the bullet weights separately. Or was it Helitech? Anyway these are the closest I could come to (i think). I haven't looked to see if Helidirect has them. I did in the past but, not recently.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Youngblood-2mm

Thoughts?

Mike.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:05 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,610 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I've done it many times and it works great. You'll never lose another flybar.
I also keep my flybars from flying out of the stock head by pushing a piece of brass tubing down over the head. I Dremel cut two slots in the tubing so the fly bar can move up and down .... It looks like a little brass hat on top.... but I've never lost a flybar when using it. You can keep from actually losing the flybar if you leash it to the head with a piece of clear monofiliment tied to the bar and if the flybar comes off.... you'll make a hard landing... but the flybar will always stay with the helicopter.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz