HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:39 AM
Oh no...hot glue is gone again
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
Help!
Beginner here, where to start?

I am interested in learning 3d flying. I guess I should start out with basic easy-to-fly planes and helis. Air hogs has some that are good to start out with.

I am looking for reccomendations. What should I start out with? It can't be expensive and should be able to survive some crashes. I would like to fly planes & helis in more than just circles. My Havoc heli is fun but you can't do any real stunts with it. So what should I start with? A basic easy-to-fly foam plane or what? Also what 3d helis should I look at. I am new to RC flying so I have a lot of questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
catman529 is offline Find More Posts by catman529
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:26 AM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
704 Posts
Some of this depends on your definition of expensive. You probably want an EPP plane for durability. There are several out there to choose from. Probably the most popular ones come from e-foamies. They have an excellent 3D trainer, the Revolution 3D. It's around $95 and can be crashed numerous times with little or no damage. Any damage that you have from any crash will be a tear in the EPP foam, which is easily repaired in minutes with UHU Creativ glue. They also offer an Extra 300 and Yak 54 that are more advanced and also more expensive. I have flown both the Revolution and Extra 300 and I can assure you that they are both great. I'd rate them very high in both the way they fly and crashability/repairability. They also have a Mini-Revolution 3D that is even cheaper if you are flying indoors. Go to e-foamies.com and check them out. You won't be disappointed if you go this route.

A lot of guys on here also like the Hobby-Lobby/Hacker Super Zoom. I've never flown one but I hear they fly very well and are also EPP durable. Go to hobby-lobby.com and check them out as well. They are around $80. What ever you choose, good luck to you.
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:17 PM
San Antonio TX
Joined Aug 2006
363 Posts
Catman - You might want to post your question in the beginner area. Although some have learned to fly using a 3D type plane, most start with something simpler. To fly the 3D planes Joe suggested (and they are great planes) you will need to buy the plane, a transmitter, a reciever, a motor, ESC, and 3 or 4 servos. Then you will have to purchase one or more batteries and a charger. You're probably looking at $300 to $500 dollars minimum. If you plan to fly more than crash, a simulator will pay for itself over and over. The most popular are about $200. This is not a cheap hobby and the things that you need/want will grow as you get more into it.

Unless you are absolutely sure you are going to continue this hobby, buying all of this is probably not worth it. The value of these things decrease dramatically just as soon as you leave through the LHS door.

Although I haven't owned one, the Hobby Zone Super Cub seems to be a favorite of those just learning to fly. For about $160 you get everything and a plane that can fly well (not 3D) and can take a lot of abuse.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but to give you a realistic idea what this hobby costs. Cheap, beginner, and 3D are not terms usually used in the same sentence. Hope this helps.

TXTATE
TXTATE is offline Find More Posts by TXTATE
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
704 Posts
I agree with Txtate. I didn't think about your experience level. If you have little or no airplane experience, then a 3D plane probably isn't right for you. If you do have some four channel experience, then a 3D trainer might be OK. What kind of plane experience do you have?
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:02 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Help! - Beginner here, where to start?
Not 3D planes.......................
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:29 PM
Oh no...hot glue is gone again
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will start with a beginner air hogs plane. sometime I might get into 3d flying but for now I should just get some experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTATE
The value of these things decrease dramatically just as soon as you leave through the LHS door.
never thought of that txtate - sounds like a car when you drive it off of the lot. I might want to look at some used ones if I get into 3d flying. thanks again for the info.
catman529 is offline Find More Posts by catman529