HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:01 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Help! Need a good scale!

I'm tired of wrestling with my not-very-accurate scale. I looked at Walmart for the nifty digital scales I've seen some of you guys using, but no luck. What is a good source for an accurate digital scale? I am of course talking about the scale you weigh things with as opposed to the scale you measure lengths with

Thanks guys!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:04 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,134 Posts
I got a Sunbeam SP5 digital postal scale at Office Depot for $19.95. It goes up to 5 lbs., and does grams or ozs. Works fine.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:26 AM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
I second office depot. Great selection. They must of had 2 dozen on display when I went there. Got a scale there for ~$20.00. They had some nice digital ones as well. All of them reasonably priced.
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:30 AM
Ghent, Belgium
Joined May 2000
295 Posts
What Neil said,

Also most 'kitchen scales' will do fine for modelling: I'v got one that weighs up to 2000g (70 oz.) with 1 - 2g precision.
Down here we can find these at any shop carrying small electric household appliances such as toasters, mixers etc.
They're fairly cheap ($30), small and will work for months on a single 9V battery...

Danny
Danny Van Hoecke is offline Find More Posts by Danny Van Hoecke
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:36 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Tres, for a good online source check out www.oldwillknott.com

I got one of the EX3's from him. Great selection, good prices and super fast shipping.

He also sells on EBay so if you're lucky you can find the same thing for a really good price. (if nobody bids it higher than his retail price )

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:43 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Thanks guys!!! I've got an Office Depot right across the street from my office, so I'll head over there at lunch. I didn't even think of them! Once again the E Zone brain trust comes to the rescue

I've got a small scale, but it's the old needle readout style and the space between each ounce around 1/8", so it's hard to tell the difference between say 6 ounces and 6-1/2 ounces.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:33 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I purchased mine on e-bay this spring for 35 bucks. It is digital and up to 6 pounds. Does grams, KG, Oz and pounds. 1 gram accuracy. It has been great!

I'll post the model if you want.

Mike
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:45 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Neil-
==I got a Sunbeam SP5 digital postal scale at Office Depot for $19.95. ==

Are you sure it wasn't more than that? I went to the store here (which turned out to be an Office Max rather than Office Depot) and they had the SP-5, but it was 29.95. Here's a pic:

I checked the Office Depot site and they have the same scale listed at about the same price (29.99).

It looks like a digital scale is going to run around 30 bucks minimum while a needle-type scale would be around 20. I don't have a problem with 30 bucks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a better deal somewhere!
Last edited by Tres Wright; Aug 21, 2002 at 10:48 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:53 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Even $ 30 doesn't sound bad for a digital scale ....

Until I can get my own digital scale Ive had to "make-do " with my scale at work here.. a $4,000 Mettler
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Old Aug 21, 2002, 12:08 PM
NJ, USA
Joined Mar 2002
152 Posts
1/10 gram resolution

Has anyone priced out scales with .1 gram resolution? It may seem like resolution overkill, but, I'd love one that can do double duty balancing heli parts.

I don't know if there are very many of these in the $30 range.

-LA
Allora is offline Find More Posts by Allora
Old Aug 21, 2002, 02:11 PM
Where do I glue the smoke
Geneseo NY
Joined Aug 2002
258 Posts
Walmart has a digital postal scale for $19.99. It goes down to .1oz. They are kind of hard to find, but at my local Wallyworld, they are in the school/home office supply area near the packing tape and shipping envelopes. They are in a small box, much smaller than I would have been looking for. They were in one of the bins with padded big shipping envelopes.
davidmor is offline Find More Posts by davidmor
Old Aug 21, 2002, 03:42 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Thanks David! I looked in the wrong place when I went before, I checked the food accessory area and found a couple of non-digital dietary scales. I'll go back and check again, 20 bucks is a great price!
Old Aug 21, 2002, 04:29 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Well if you want a really good scale go to Fry's electonics, or go to Linens and Things. Most of the scales they carry though are over 60 bucks but they are very accurate.
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Old Aug 21, 2002, 06:20 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
Hi Tres, for a good online source check out www.oldwillknott.com I got one of the EX3's from him. Great selection, good prices and super fast shipping.He also sells on EBay so if you're lucky you can find the same thing for a really good price. (if nobody bids it higher than his retail price )BC
That's what I did, on eBay, and I've never regretted it.
Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:19 PM
Des Moines Municipal, Iowa, United States
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
.1 oz isnt so good...that is 2.8 grams. I have the Sunbeam SP5 digital, seems to be pretty decent. Cant remember what I paid, but ~$30 sounds right. I wouldnt even consider a scale that only had .1oz resolution for $20.
fourleaf is offline Find More Posts by fourleaf