HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:46 AM
Spool 'er up!
United States, FL, Oxford
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
New Product
UMX Radian by E-flite (730mm Version)

Announced today at the Nuremberg Toy Fair is this shrunken version of the original (and wildly popular!) Radian. This "baby brother" is called the UMX™ Radian and has a 730mm (28.7") wingspan, making it ~36% the size of the current 2m version. Both the appearance & features closely emulate the Radian with simple 3-channel control, foam construction, removable wing and a folding prop. Like other recent micro models from Horizon, the UMX Radian also has the AS3X® stabilization system. Intro price is $89.99 for the BNF version. Should be fun for flying in tight spaces or inside gymnasiums!

UMX™ Radian® BNF Product Page

And here's a short video:

UMX™ Radian® BNF by E-Flite (2 min 12 sec)
Paul1PA is offline Find More Posts by Paul1PA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:54 AM
Spool 'er up!
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Oops, just discovered there's another UMX Radian Thread in the Micro RTF forum. Being that this is the Electric Sailplanes forum and tons of Radian owners post here, probably worth keeping both threads!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:23 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2013
20 Posts
Gotta get one!
Chrisair is offline Find More Posts by Chrisair
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:30 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,165 Posts
How bout micro ALES comps with this?? I used to thermal my micro champ all the time, so with the micro radians bigger wing and less drag, I'm thinkin this thing should thermal pretty well. I'm pre ordering today.
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:58 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
681 Posts
Some of the guys that I fly with (me included) could make some thermals indoors with all of that hot air rising. How long till someone puts a brushless motor in it.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:35 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
The all up weight is only 1.5 oz. If you take it outside it better be fairly calm or you are going to lose it.

Should be fun on the slope in very light lift.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:06 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Some of the guys that I fly with (me included) could make some thermals indoors with all of that hot air rising. How long till someone puts a brushless motor in it.
Gary
I would think the stock brushed, geared motor is plenty.
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:30 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,165 Posts
Sloping off buildings would be fun
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:25 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
slope soaring over my house would be fun. did that with a Vapor once.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:33 PM
Spool 'er up!
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Here's a quick size simulation. Compared to the 2m Radian, note how the UMX could easily fit on one wing. And lengthwise, it will only extend to the trailing edge. Tiny bugger!

Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:43 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,414 Posts
looks great I hope OMP get a sample i can review

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:20 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2011
175 Posts
Aeajr is 100% correct. If someone slams a car door close by the wind will move this little thing!!! How can they mold a wing thin enough to be efficient at this size and weight??????
abieex is offline Find More Posts by abieex
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:55 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
looks great I hope OMP get a sample i can review

cheers chuck
Sure hope you get a chance at one, Chuck!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:25 PM
Arbuckle Bill
United States, WV, Leon
Joined Dec 2013
133 Posts
Just preordered and now I regret not ordering 2 (or more). May have to go back and add to my order.
Arbuckle Bill is offline Find More Posts by Arbuckle Bill
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:33 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abieex View Post
Aeajr is 100% correct. If someone slams a car door close by the wind will move this little thing!!! How can they mold a wing thin enough to be efficient at this size and weight??????
Yes...but probably not as much as you think. As long as you keep it under 10 MPH you should be OK....but of course, less wind would be better. At first I thought the same thing, but then realized this is the first glider...I've ever heard of...that comes with it's own gyro (AS3X).

If it's anything like my Eagle Tree Guardian Stabilizer in the wind, when enabled...it's like night and day.

IMO, HH isn't worried about wing efficiency for this product. They are just leveraging their AS3X technology to make it possible to sell a miniature glider at this price point. Because I would bet without AS3X, this product would not exist.

But with this technology (AS3X) it makes it possible to sell a miniaturized version of a full sized Radian for $90 that in some small way seems to defy the laws of nature. This is especially true for this product because AS3X is being used in a glider..not a normal powered plane or heli/multirotor..but a glider which by definition uses the wind.

This brings up a bigger question...not saying yes or no here..but is there a place for stabilizing technology in gliders now that the tech is cheap enough and is/will be quite common..? Has HH started something here..?

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko