SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsf86 View Post
One reason to keep the price of the turbine engine high is to prevent people that are not capable of good judgement from using them. One example of such a person are those that would post pictures of aircraft crashes.
That has got to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. You are implying that only wealthy people have good judgement? Are you serious? I think we have an elitist in our midst gentlemen.

The best pilot I know lives on a fixed income and flies from a wheelchair. He couldn't dream of having the money to own a turbine, but he is the first person I go to for advice and instruction. He has been flying RC for over 40 years. Unfortunately a bullet severed his spinal cord in Vietnam. You think that he isn't capable? I'd put him up against your sorry holier-than-thou ass any day of the week.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2006
33 Posts
I think you completely misunderstand what paul is saying. If you are prepared to pay thousands of dollars for a turbine and model you probably are going to take great care with it. The high price tends to filter out the reckless people. However, there are still plenty of crashes on utube which suggest that even people with money are not capable of good judment.

As a keen model flyer of 25 or so years I see nothing wrong with watching crash videos for entertainment, but they can also be good to learn what not to do.

John
john dee is offline Find More Posts by john dee
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:37 AM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Jan 2009
384 Posts
You can also go with a boomerang jets boomerang nano jet. Kits sell for about $200 on rcu and it is a jet kit made for turbines. Mine has a propane start ram 500 and is around the $1500 range. Flies great too!
txshan130 is offline Find More Posts by txshan130
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:02 AM
winkybone
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Mar 2007
106 Posts
We are www.sportsturbine.com based in UK we sell Jet Joe parts and Turbine. please take a look at our web site if you want to consider budget jet engine and parts. Thank you
winkybone is offline Find More Posts by winkybone
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
That is a subset of modellers.

Lots of us fly models as things with their own merits that have nothing to do with full scale flight.

Even in turbines there are scale fliers and those who fly sport jets. And some who likely fly both.

Pat MacKenzie
dont for get us Heli guys
id love to have a heli with a turbine in it the Bergen Magnum 44 based around the Wren 44 looks great and the Wren 44 will drop in with minor mods to most pod and boom 700s
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:56 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
dont for get us Heli guys
id love to have a heli with a turbine in it the Bergen Magnum 44 based around the Wren 44 looks great and the Wren 44 will drop in with minor mods to most pod and boom 700s
I also would love a turbine heli. Started with a Concept 30DX about 20 years ago and that bug has never left me. One day......
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
I also would love a turbine heli. Started with a Concept 30DX about 20 years ago and that bug has never left me. One day......
Just the powerplant for a Turbine heli will be more expensive than a turbine for a fixed-winged plane. I'd also considered a turbo-prop, but most turbo-prop units start at $4900+.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:48 AM
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsf86 View Post
One reason to keep the price of the turbine engine high is to prevent people that are not capable of good judgement from using them. One example of such a person are those that would post pictures of aircraft crashes.

We fly model aircraft to reproduce full scale flight in miniature. Expansion of turbine flying by lowering the price to that of glo or gas engines would result in many more accidents resulting from poor judgement and lack of maintenance. There are responsibilities that come with the territory, posting such videos shows a level of maturity that does not merit having a turbine waiver.
If a modeller becomes rich, okay, I agree with you. Rich man with good piloting skills is capable to fly safely and maybe do a good show.

BUT !

I have met a lot of people that have a lot of money. gues what they wanted to buy if I mentioned RC models ? 700 class heli and/or fast jet ! and refusing any advices to do some practice on simulator or with a smaller heli.
many rich people I have met are behaving irresponsibly. They think that if they can buy it, they can do it. I don't want even to imagine, what harms they can cause with their arrogant approach.

no offense, just my own experience
shaowniq is offline Find More Posts by shaowniq
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:54 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaowniq View Post
If a modeller becomes rich, okay, I agree with you. Rich man with good piloting skills is capable to fly safely and maybe do a good show.

BUT !

I have met a lot of people that have a lot of money. gues what they wanted to buy if I mentioned RC models ? 700 class heli and/or fast jet ! and refusing any advices to do some practice on simulator or with a smaller heli.
many rich people I have met are behaving irresponsibly. They think that if they can buy it, they can do it. I don't want even to imagine, what harms they can cause with their arrogant approach.

no offense, just my own experience
im with you to a point
if you fly at an club that is affiliated with the AMA you have to have a turbine rating to fly a turbine powered model

and lets face it your going to fly one in a park (maybe some jerk might try it with a heli but flying any helis over a 450 in park is asking for it any way regardless what its powered by)

at lest with a heli if some one thats never touched the sticks be for is trying to learn to fly by them selves on a 700 yea thats not going to end well
(imo with help you can learn to fly a heli of any size if you have the money for it)
but a 700 heli even E power is still a 2k + investment JUST for the airframe and radio gear its not like fixed wing where there are cheap airframes out there

but with helis a 700 is a 700 is a 700
doesnt matter if its glow gas turbine or e power they all fly the same once you can fly one CP heli you can pretty much fly any you have the money for
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000