Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:28 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mictouch View Post
I read a lot of these 200+ pages and I hear a LOT of very GOOD things about the Phantom. I'm a photographer and I would love to shoot GoPro Aerial video or maybe even use another camera like a SONY NEX7 or maybe a Nikon 1. I realize the payload of a Phantom is adequate for a Hero 2 or 3 and these other cameras might slow it down and wear the battery out too fast. With that being said, is the Phantom a good choice for filming with a GoPro?

My main concern is parts available - I see many posts on the subject of the Phantom Parts NOT being Available. Is this TRUE?

OR.........

Should I just step up to the plate and get a DJI S800 or a XPRO-Heli XP2 Quad Copter? I just don't want to get into a $4000 plus dollar nightmare...

Thanks
Sorry I didn't reply to your PM yet.

Depending on your budget not to include the camera, the F550 would be a good choice. I find the Phantoms ability to control and hover a little smooter then my F450. I am still dialing in the gains but I don't see it getting much better. I have everything to turn it into an F550 except the 2 extra motors at this poing. I added the extra arms, ESC's and plates so I can compare a 550 to a 450.

If you not going to get carried away with a heavy gimbal and camera setup, the Phantom is killer in its ability to fly smoothly. CL is great for turning it sideways and following a moving object.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:29 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Simon, you've paid >700$ for a sophisticated toy.
Why don't you take 15 minutes to watch DJI's videos and another 10 minutes to understand the Quick Start Manual??
That would be un-American.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:40 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,886 Posts
"Sharp As An Arrow In A Pile Of Glass..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
That would be un-American.
Doc, you and I are kindred spirits!
Your classes have got to be a hoot...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,407 Posts
Quote:

Depending on your budget not to include the camera, the F550 would be a good choice. I find the Phantoms ability to control and hover a little smoother then my F450. I am still dialing in the gains but I don't see it getting much better. I have everything to turn it into an F550 except the 2 extra motors at this poing. I added the extra arms, ESC's and plates so I can compare a 550 to a 450.
I purchased the Phantom and am having a lot of fun with it but I do see the limits of not having a full gimbal. I want to do so much more but am struggling with both flying it and getting smooth video. I am sure with time both will get better. I hope you post up the results of the conversion from 450 to 550. From video I have seen it looks like the 6 rotor 550 is a more stable platform to start with and carries a gimble with ease.
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:10 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,886 Posts
Prop Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
OK with all this prop nut talk I am now confused as to what nuts I will need to properly use the Graupner 8x5 props that I ordered. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to buy them please?
If you don't want to stay with the stock DJI nuts, a metric (M6-1) nyloc nut is probably your best choice.
It will give you locking attributes without damaging your prop shaft threads.
You can find them at some Home Depot and Lowe's Stores.
A good hardware store like Ace Hardware should have them too.
Good luck...
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:14 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
If you don't want to stay with the stock DJI nuts, a metric (M6-1) nyloc nut is probably your best choice.
It will give you locking attributes without damaging your prop shaft threads.
You can find them at some Home Depot and Lowe's Stores.
A good hardware store like Ace Hardware should have them too.
Good luck...
How often to change those lock nuts?

Every third time you take off the Graupners, or do they last longer than that?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,886 Posts
Ask MCrites

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
How often to change those lock nuts?

Every third time you take off the Graupners, or do they last longer than that?
I don't use Graupner$.
I actually prefer APCs on my F450 and F550.
I use the stock Phantom props.
So, the stock DJI nuts are fine for me.
The F550 has SunnySky motors on it, so the prop nut's completely different.
MC uses the nyloc nuts because of his famous F550 prop/motor out video.
I think he regularly changes his at the third or fifth on/off cycle.

When you get accustomed to flying quads, you don't pull props off very often.
You guys will get to where you don't crash and skin props so much.
My F450 props have not had to be removed since last July...
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:26 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,742 Posts
I remove props only to program the Naza.

But thanks for the info.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:30 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,886 Posts
Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
I remove props only to program the Naza.

But thanks for the info.
Good move!
FWIW, the F450 has not had to be reprogrammed since July of last year either...
That's wrong... I think I did an upgrade and disconnected the gimbal, but I used the method below...

If you're lazy (or don't want to worry about indexing your props to get them back exactly like they were previously mounted), you can fashion some weights to hold the airframe down while you connect to the Assistant.
I made up some 5# beanbags filled with lead shot.
I also use a long USB extension on the connection so that I'm not putting my hands near the rotor plane to hook things up.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Feb 22, 2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Corrected miss-statement
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:00 PM
hsestesphoto
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jan 2013
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
A week or so a go, someone found a black case on Amazon for the Phantom. Mine just came in - I need to find his posts so I can see how he mounted the Phantom in the case.

Does anyone know who or about when that was discussed? I'm searching - just can't seem to find it.

Thanks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24157352
Hsestes is offline Find More Posts by Hsestes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:03 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
C'mon guys, those Phantom motors are so weak, us RC airplane guys have stronger glider motors. These things are toy motors.

If anyone is worried about damage from those plastic props during calibration, just throw a pillow over the Phantom, don't worry, the pillow will be safe and the wife won't even know.

You will not have feathers all over the place either. The phantom motors are just one tiny step above rubber bands.

The only worry should be damage or injury from a flying Phantom, a Phantom that is out of control. But for calibration, don't worry, you finger will stop those plastic props with only a minor cut. Your Exacto knife will do much more damage than those weak motors.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:04 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mictouch View Post
I read a lot of these 200+ pages and I hear a LOT of very GOOD things about the Phantom. I'm a photographer and I would love to shoot GoPro Aerial video or maybe even use another camera like a SONY NEX7 or maybe a Nikon 1. I realize the payload of a Phantom is adequate for a Hero 2 or 3 and these other cameras might slow it down and wear the battery out too fast. With that being said, is the Phantom a good choice for filming with a GoPro?

My main concern is parts available - I see many posts on the subject of the Phantom Parts NOT being Available. Is this TRUE?

OR.........

Should I just step up to the plate and get a DJI S800 or a XPRO-Heli XP2 Quad Copter? I just don't want to get into a $4000 plus dollar nightmare...

Thanks

Mictouch -

Speaking as the owner of a s800 multiple DSLR capable Y6's and a Phantom...... there is a lot of great things to say about the Phantom. and the big multi-rotor systems...
but forget those for a moment.

I notice this is your first post, wild guess, you have yet to fly anything multi-rotor.?
Let alone a multi-rotor with a $5000 camera attached.?

I can only say, get a phantom, the F550 is better than the phantom, but again you are having a bigger bird and can load more stuff on it.. get a phantom, spend $700 and fly it until you can fly it with your eyes closed, and are so freaking bored flying it that you simply have to do something.. then get a BIG bird to carry real cameras.

there is no substitute for experience, and you only get that by crashing, and flying, and leaning to understand how a multi-rotor operates, it is my honest opinion every s800 customer should be forced to fly a Phantom for 100 hours before lifting off the s800 with a load of camera equipment over innocent bystanders. just saying.

You live down the street from me (almost) I can definately arrange for you to check out the difference between a Phantom and a s800

Happy Flying.

Bo
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:06 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Folks, this looks like a good bargain for a Phantom case:
http://www.tradecraftcases.com/?prod...ntom-toughcase
Not a Peli though but who cares? :-)
Nice but I did not read where they were officially licensed to use the DJI logo and font. It looks like theu could quickly remove it but DJI should start putting their foot down on this.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:12 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
C'mon guys, those Phantom motors are so weak, us RC airplane guys have stronger glider motors. These things are toy motors.

If anyone is worried about damage from those plastic props during calibration, just throw a pillow over the Phantom, don't worry, the pillow will be safe and the wife won't even know.

You will not have feathers all over the place either. The phantom motors are just one tiny step above rubber bands.

The only worry should be damage or injury from a flying Phantom, a Phantom that is out of control. But for calibration, don't worry, you finger will stop those plastic props with only a minor cut. Your Exacto knife will do much more damage than those weak motors.
I would not be posting such false information. I have the semi-rigid props on mine and in manual mode I will bet I could take your finger pretty much off. I have a nice chip taken out of my oak desk from a blade I will be happy to share with you.

I think it's time I shoot some video of my new food processor....
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
hsestesphoto
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jan 2013
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Nice but I did not read where they were officially licensed to use the DJI logo and font. It looks like theu could quickly remove it but DJI should start putting their foot down on this.

This the exact same case I got from Amazon (minus the DJI logo) for $40!!! http://www.amazon.com/Duratool-MJ-13...proof+Tool+Box

They are asking $129 for theirs!!!
Hsestes is offline Find More Posts by Hsestes