SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:19 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Discussion
Please Advise - Shelving Systems to Transport Many RC Aircraft in Minivan or SUV

Friends,

I'd like your advice, please...

Please post photos, video & advice re: your systems for transporting RC aircraft in minivans or SUVs

My family has both a minivan, and an SUV, and I'd like to be able to transport as many of my RC airplane models as possible... safely, securely, and conveniently...

My SUV has room for a shelf that would be 5 foot (i.e., 60 inch, 150 cm) wide by 3 foot (i.e., 36 inch or 90 cm) long (from front of vehicle to back).

I have thought about various materials for shelves, and how to secure the models to the shelves... shelves made of plywood, clear plastic plexiglas, blucorefoam with wooden support, lattice made of wood or plastic...

How do you secure your models in your vehicle? bungee cords, rubber bands, velcro straps, or other... ?

I like the idea of clear shelves, or lattice, to let light reach the lower areas under the shelving...

Please post photos and advice, of what works for you, and what other folks should consider for RC airplane storage systems in minivans and SUVs.

Thanks!!!

Kevin

PS - I searched a lot and couldn't find a thread on this topic... if there is such a thread, please post a link to it.
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:45 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,258 Posts
Never done it. But unless the models are one piece, i.e. the wings don't come off, I would transport models vertically in cardboard boxes, (sized for the specific model). Just a 3/4 height box would do, not full length, so the the tail sticks out.

The boxes can have simple foam packing to stop the model moving about. The boxes can be stood vertical against a 'wall', and a simple bungee could be used to hold them there.

The additional advantage as I see it, would be that removing just one box gives you that complete model, easy to carry to a flying site, and you don't leave something important behind, (been there done that ), and the others don't have to be moved out of the way etc if stacked on shelves, (plus no shelves to make, or get in the way when not needed).

But then I don't have an SUV, minivan, etc, just silly big planes that I have to squeeze into a Honda Civic
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:45 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Never done it. But unless the models are one piece, i.e. the wings don't come off, I would transport models vertically in cardboard boxes, (sized for the specific model). Just a 3/4 height box would do, not full length, so the the tail sticks out.

The boxes can have simple foam packing to stop the model moving about. The boxes can be stood vertical against a 'wall', and a simple bungee could be used to hold them there.

The additional advantage as I see it, would be that removing just one box gives you that complete model, easy to carry to a flying site, and you don't leave something important behind, (been there done that ), and the others don't have to be moved out of the way etc if stacked on shelves, (plus no shelves to make, or get in the way when not needed).

But then I don't have an SUV, minivan, etc, just silly big planes that I have to squeeze into a Honda Civic
Hi Eflightray,

Thanks! That's a cool idea I hadn't thought of!

Most of my models are 3 to 4 foot wingspans, with removable wings... so a box like you described could work...

Thanks!

Kevin
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:10 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
A board with dowel rods and foam for the wings vertically, another with wheel chaulks for the fuselages.
Or even the same board for both but that would be a bit of a hassel to remove for other uses of the vehicle SHOULD the need arise, but then what is more important than hauling planes? ;<)

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Well I've tried all sorts of contraptions ( PVC, custom cut foam stands, etc). I keep going back to not using anything. For the larger stuff I have a trailer, but when I want to go out with the smaller planes (including an 8' sail plane, SIg Kougar, EFlight E-stick25, Formosa, Sunrise, EZstar,) I can fit them neatly in the back of my mid-sized SUV with no problems. I find it easier to not fold down the rear seats. I don't really have time to fly any more than those on an outing, which is usually all day.
I've also transported the lot in a Camery Hybrid (Hybrid has less trunk space than a non-hybrid sedan due to the battery pack) with no problems. A little tighter, but do-able on the rare occasion my wife needs my SUV on the weekends.
I find I can fit more, it is no more difficult ( or easier ) to load/unload and so far no hangar rash from the ride. Other sources, yes. But not the ride to/from the field.

FWIW, if you check at the bottom of this thread, there are a few threads on transporting planes in a minivan, or SUV.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 03, 2012, 01:37 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,441 Posts
The wings are what take room... PVC stand with vertical slats with foam pipe insulation on bottom and sides. Can fit 4 wings in about 20" wide space For fuses, I alternate nose, tail, nose, tail.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jan 03, 2012, 01:41 PM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
My buddy and I strung a cargo net in the center of the truck topper. Gives us two layers to put stuff in. The fragile planes go in the net and are cushioned by the "spring" action of the net. The heavy transmitter cases,tool boxws, batteriesm etc... go on the bottom
topher is offline Find More Posts by topher
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:54 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
A board with dowel rods and foam for the wings vertically, another with wheel chaulks for the fuselages.
Or even the same board for both but that would be a bit of a hassel to remove for other uses of the vehicle SHOULD the need arise, but then what is more important than hauling planes? ;<)

Joe
Thanks, Joe! Excellent points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Well I've tried all sorts of contraptions ( PVC, custom cut foam stands, etc). I keep going back to not using anything. For the larger stuff I have a trailer, but when I want to go out with the smaller planes (including an 8' sail plane, SIg Kougar, EFlight E-stick25, Formosa, Sunrise, EZstar,) I can fit them neatly in the back of my mid-sized SUV with no problems. I find it easier to not fold down the rear seats. I don't really have time to fly any more than those on an outing, which is usually all day.
I've also transported the lot in a Camery Hybrid (Hybrid has less trunk space than a non-hybrid sedan due to the battery pack) with no problems. A little tighter, but do-able on the rare occasion my wife needs my SUV on the weekends.
I find I can fit more, it is no more difficult ( or easier ) to load/unload and so far no hangar rash from the ride. Other sources, yes. But not the ride to/from the field.

FWIW, if you check at the bottom of this thread, there are a few threads on transporting planes in a minivan, or SUV.
Thanks, rcav8r2!

I've now read the threads at the bottom of the page... some good info there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
The wings are what take room... PVC stand with vertical slats with foam pipe insulation on bottom and sides. Can fit 4 wings in about 20" wide space For fuses, I alternate nose, tail, nose, tail.
Thanks, Thermalin! Cool idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
My buddy and I strung a cargo net in the center of the truck topper. Gives us two layers to put stuff in. The fragile planes go in the net and are cushioned by the "spring" action of the net. The heavy transmitter cases,tool boxws, batteriesm etc... go on the bottom
Hey, topher, Cool idea! I'll have to look for a cargo net to hang...

Thanks, guys!!!

I appreciate the advice,

Kevin
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Oct 2009
3 Posts
I use a rack made with 2 2x2 vertical about 18" apart. Imagine 2 framing squares standing up separately 18" apart with a 1x6 cross piece at the bottom. I use 2 pieces of adjustable shelf support (the ones with the little slots in them) screwed to the 2x2 pcs and then use 12" shelf supports adjusted to fit your planes. Cover these with foam tubing used for insulaing AC lines available at Home Depot. I carry at least 4 planes on mine and they stay put with no tie down at all and I leave them in there all the time as I fly almost every day weather permiting. I have a SUV and the back seat is not folded down which gives me more room for bigger planes if needed and extra gear too.
Whattsup is offline Find More Posts by Whattsup
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:40 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,421 Posts
I copied this system from a guy at one of the schools I fly at. The vehicle is a 2003 Chevy Tahoe, using this rack I can easily get 5 planes inside without getting hangar rash, that is a .40 sized trainer on the bottom.

Materials used was schedule 40 pvc from Home Depot and I cut and assembled it using TLAR measurements. The racks have foam pipe insulation on them to lessen rash as well. There are velcro straps that loop around the landing gear and the main posts to keep planes on the racks from sliding off. There is a piece of velcro on the base to keep the base from sliding out, and a bungie chord on each upper portion going to the trucks step up handles keeps the assembly stable and centered.

I've been using this a few months now and planes do just fine traveling with it.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dedStik; Aug 22, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
118 Posts
Maybe:
http://www.espritmodel.com/standbox.aspx
9Mach is offline Find More Posts by 9Mach