HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
You're welcomed, foamyyflyerr! What type of camera are you using?
It's called an Action Shot Camera and believe it or not it was a gift from my Son in Law for Christmas

http://actionshotcam.com/shop/action-shot-sd/

Actually works very well.
I just took the helmet mount and modified it with a velco strap and I secure that around the fuselage of the RP
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:03 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
I'm wanting to shave some weight off a radian pro I want to buy. Is there anything anyone's done to shave the weight? Like I'm thinking maybe lighter spar and maybe is there a motor that's just as good but lighter?
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
I'm wanting to shave some weight off a radian pro I want to buy. Is there anything anyone's done to shave the weight? Like I'm thinking maybe lighter spar and maybe is there a motor that's just as good but lighter?
There are several popular mods to the Radian Pro but most are aimed at improving structural stiffness and thermal performance rather than saving weight.

Most of us have gone to a stiffer carbon fiber spar to reduce wing flex, but the weight is about the same as the stock spar.

As to the motor, here is one that is lighter than the stock motor, develops more power, and is considerably less expensive:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24242
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:49 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Wow I actually have 2 of those same motors at my house already lol. I will try them out. Which carbon fiber spar is what you guys are using?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Wow I actually have 2 of those same motors at my house already lol. I will try them out. Which carbon fiber spar is what you guys are using?
I fly the RE Radian and use the #020975 0.375 pultruded carbon tube from Goodwinds. I believe it fits the RP also.:

http://goodwinds.com/carbon/pultruded-tubes.html

Prop upgrades are another popular mod. The Graupner 10 x 8 folding prop is a popular one but some have gone with a more agressive one such as 11 x 8. If you are interested in saving weight you should consider buying upgrade props with 6 mm shoulders because they will fit the stock plastic hub after drilling out the pivot hole to 3 mm for the stock pivot pin. Some have gone to aluminum spinners with 8 mm shoulders because of their higher strength but they are considerably heavier.
Last edited by kaptondave; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:33 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Well ill see if anyone with the rp uses the same or diff rod.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:36 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,538 Posts
flohio: Here is a link to a Radian mod/tune-up video that I think you will enjoy. It is one that a lot of us have used for guidance.

http://glidefast.typepad.com/glidefa...ree-video.html
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:19 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
flohio: Here is a link to a Radian mod/tune-up video that I think you will enjoy. It is one that a lot of us have used for guidance.

http://glidefast.typepad.com/glidefa...ree-video.html
Thanks for the link to that video. I'm going to be using a radian pro so I'm not sure if a lot will apply to that but the stiffening and stuff and changing the tail plane angle seems awesome.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:38 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the link to that video. I'm going to be using a radian pro so I'm not sure if a lot will apply to that but the stiffening and stuff and changing the tail plane angle seems awesome.
Changing the stabilizer angle is kind of a forbidden subject on this thread, as it has caused some unpleasant arguments in the past. Eventually a thread dedicated to that subject was created and you can feel free to talk about any type of mods for the Radian or Radian Pro. Post #174 shows some pictures of stiffening mods.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...646181&page=16
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Changing the stabilizer angle is kind of a forbidden subject on this thread, as it has caused some unpleasant arguments in the past.
There are no forbidden subjects as long as they apply to the Radian. It is the duty of the Moderator, not individual members, to determine that.

The problems concerning the stabilizer angle were caused by just one individual who thankfully has gone elsewhere. Posting in the other thread is certainly appropriate but it is out of the mainstream and discussions there are missed by a lot of people.
Last edited by kaptondave; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:07 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Changing the stabilizer angle is kind of a forbidden subject on this thread, as it has caused some unpleasant arguments in the past. Eventually a thread dedicated to that subject was created and you can feel free to talk about any type of mods for the Radian or Radian Pro. Post #174 shows some pictures of stiffening mods.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...646181&page=16
Forbidden? Really? Wow! I wonder who enforces this "forbidden" topic.

But I think it is good that a special thread was set up for that. It deserves a thread all to itself.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
I'm going to be using a radian pro so I'm not sure if a lot will apply to that but the stiffening and stuff and changing the tail plane angle seems awesome.
Check first to see if the fin is straight as is the fuse from wing back. I just had to straighten a new fuse BUT a\I may have induced the misalignment when I did the
arrow shaft mod. Actually used a much lighter and smaller diameter carbon tube than the standard arrow shaft. No flex at all in the aft part of fuse. On my original Radian Pro it was very flexible. After doing it the method Mr. Naton used is probably lighter yet.

Now how would one go about strengthening the fwd part of the fuse. The area where almost all break?
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:47 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
I'm going to be using a radian pro so I'm not sure if a lot will apply to that but the stiffening and stuff and changing the tail plane angle seems awesome.
Check first to see if the fin is straight as is the fuse from wing back. I just had to straighten a new fuse BUT a\I may have induced the misalignment when I did the
arrow shaft mod. Actually used a much lighter and smaller diameter carbon tube than the standard arrow shaft. No flex at all in the aft part of fuse. On my original Radian Pro it was very flexible. After doing it the method Mr. Naton used is probably lighter yet.

Now how would one go about strengthening the fwd part of the fuse. The area where almost all break?
What I've done to reinforce the cockpit of mine, was to soak fibreglass cloth soaked in resin and lined the cockpit all the way up to the nose. It's lightweight and dries to a very strong finish.
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Nice Start into the 2013 Flying Season

Finally the weather warmed up a bit today (6C/43F), there was little wind, and the sun even came out for a bit here in the west of Germany. So, it was time to take the Radian out for a spin for its first flight in 2013. The first two flights were nice, but the third one was really special. I got her up to around 500m (1640 feet) with the motor on and then started sailing. She was already quite small up there in the sky, but then she really started to take off in a thermal. Within the next 7 minutes, she was a little over 720m (2362 feet) and I was really starting to have problems keeping my eyes on her. So I pushed her down in a steep dive to around 400m (1312 feet). That dive was a bit scary (with speeds up to 125km/h = 77mp/h), but she pulled out without any problems and I kept going. I caught two more thermals, each time rising at least 100m (328 feet).

The flight log is attached (dark line is altitude in meters), the light gray line is the vario (in m/s). Except for the start to ~500m, the entire flight was without motor.

This was certainly the highest altitude I have I ever flown the Radian and this is really about the maximum that I will ever push her. Any further and she might be gone (but it was fun to test out those limits).

What a nice start into the flying season!
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
What I've done to reinforce the cockpit of mine, was to soak fibreglass cloth soaked in resin and lined the cockpit all the way up to the nose. It's lightweight and dries to a very strong finish.
I assume 2 oz cloth?
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633