HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2010, 02:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
hopfully simple IR question

I am working on a small project. I want to use those small IR controllers from the little rc trucks at Wal-Mart. The problem is that I need more that two functions. The controllers have switches on them to change the “channel” to control other boards. I want to control two or more boards at the same time but also be able to work them individually. If I put jumpers on the switch can I send out more than one signal at a time? I want to figure this out before I buy four of these and waste them by frying them. Any help would be great. I’m new to electronics so please be gentle.
davewithx is offline Find More Posts by davewithx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 02:48 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Quote:
If I put jumpers on the switch can I send out more than one signal at a time?
No, if you want to control two different boards you will need two transmitters.
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:17 PM
Joined Mar 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
No, if you want to control two different boards you will need two transmitters.
Darn, I was wanting to keep everything as small as I could.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:22 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2007
200 Posts
Maybe you could use a programmable remote that can record IR commands. But "at the same time" is impossible: it's a serial link so with one transmitter only one command at a time. However with effort (scope/logic analyzer, rc command generator) you might be able to send two commands shortly after each other. Have a look into this thread and see how an IR command looks like (I guess your command looks similiar). Its a stream of repeating pulses and spaces and as long as you press the button it is constantly sent.
Darkstar2000 is offline Find More Posts by Darkstar2000
Old Nov 02, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Mar 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar2000 View Post
Maybe you could use a programmable remote that can record IR commands. But "at the same time" is impossible: it's a serial link so with one transmitter only one command at a time. However with effort (scope/logic analyzer, rc command generator) you might be able to send two commands shortly after each other. Have a look into this thread and see how an IR command looks like (I guess your command looks similiar). Its a stream of repeating pulses and spaces and as long as you press the button it is constantly sent.
thank you I like when it is explained to me why something won't work. I'll look at that thread. I may have to rethink my project for now.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 02:21 PM
Fly more, build less
LA,Ca
Joined Apr 2005
40 Posts
Dave,

If you really wanted to get an additional function, this is what I would do . . .

IR works at a base frequency of 40khz. If you fed a (555 timer) circuit into the tx out (IR LED), and another (555 timer) circuit on the receiving end,you would be able to add a few extra functions.

If you google 555 timer, you will find both circuits.

Good luck,
Don
HeliDon is offline Find More Posts by HeliDon
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Mar 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDon View Post
Dave,

If you really wanted to get an additional function, this is what I would do . . .

IR works at a base frequency of 40khz. If you fed a (555 timer) circuit into the tx out (IR LED), and another (555 timer) circuit on the receiving end,you would be able to add a few extra functions.

If you google 555 timer, you will find both circuits.

Good luck,
Don
WOW thanks I'm going to look that up. thanks again.