HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:12 PM
aka jsmbc101
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Discussion
Zig Zag Racer 3 conversion

Hey guys,

I was fooling around with the zig zag 3 yesterday, I found out you can re-program the esc!! The downside is you can only program your battery type, but that is still a huge advantage! Now you can run lipos! I haven't tried yet but the one that comes with the super cub lp looks about right, maybe have to dremel out part of the compartment. Oh, one more thing: if you have an xport extension, open up the esc box and connect it! Works for the night flight module as no switch input is neccesary. My guide to the esc is below.

Here's how:

1) Connect your ZZR3 while holding full throttle
2) Wait for the long beep; programming has started.
3) When you hear the number of beeps you want, move throttle to middle to select, then down fully to arm it. Your selections are:
(1 beep: 6-7 cell Ni-mh, this is stock setting)
(2 beeps: 8-9 cell Ni-mh or 2s lipo)
(3 beeps: 3s lipo)
(4 beeps: 70% "smart" cutoff)

*note: this is actually telling the esc when to initiate the LVC or Low Voltage Cutoff*

*note: this will not work on the ZZR2*

let me know what you've already done to this little boat and if you can make this work!
high flyyer is offline Find More Posts by high flyyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:33 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
Very interesting!! I just purchased a ZZR3 yesterday, where did you find this info? And, I doubt you could run a 3s in it, as the manual states to limit full throttle runs with a 7 cell pack, as the electronics get very hot.

Jive
jive is offline Find More Posts by jive
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:43 PM
aka jsmbc101
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jive View Post
Very interesting!! I just purchased a ZZR3 yesterday, where did you find this info? And, I doubt you could run a 3s in it, as the manual states to limit full throttle runs with a 7 cell pack, as the electronics get very hot.

Jive

Hi Jive,

I actually found this out while working on my AeroBird Swift. I was looking on RCGroups seeing what people had done to it, and somebody had reprogrammed it for LiPo. I went to try this, and when I opened up the compartment, I recognized it from when I was water sealing my ZZR3 after installing the 480 motor and XPort extension. So I went back to the zig zag, sure enough it has the same 6 channel receiver/esc! I might have to get a better tx and take advatage of the extra 3 channels. I am aware that I shouldn't use the 3s, although it makes you wonder if they use the EXACT same esc, as my aeobird pulls around 15 amps... My ZZR3 kicks when I run the 7 cell and my 480 motor!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:33 PM
ohio
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
may i ask what 480 motor you used and where is the xport located at i just bought one of these just to retieve my ul-1 in case of a wipeout but i like this little boat. and i cant leave anything stock lol
ezcrawler is offline Find More Posts by ezcrawler
Last edited by ezcrawler; Apr 21, 2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
aka jsmbc101
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcrawler View Post
may i ask what 480 motor you used and where is the xport located at?
Sorry this took awhile! I've been busy with planes this spring. The motor I used is actually for a plane, the Parkzone F-27b Stryker. It is part number PKZ1216. Know that this is a brushed motor and works with stock system, although you can buy an external esc to plug into the throttle port. You may want to do this for li-po or brushless. That leads me to where you will find this, and that is in the water-tight box in the center of the hull. You have to unscrew the whole thing. First, I cut the wires and soldered on my new motor, cross polarity so it turns in the correct direction. The X-Port is on the reciever/esc board, right behind where your servo plugs in. You will need an extension to get it to reach. You can make one or parkzone does I believe. The way I re-sealed this is with silicone. I glued some Velcro to the module and canopy so the night flight module is secure. Just know you can't use other xport modules with this boat. Here is a video of my ZZR3 mods and how I did it. the re-programming is in a different video, let me know if you want it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6O7B4W8V4Q

Well hope this helps, again sorry for the delayed response. Let me know what you end up doing to it and if you have more questions!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
I have a new zig zag 3 racer and tried to reprogram the esc for a LiPo battery, it enters the programming mode if you hold the throttle down while connecting the battery, but does not seem to respond to any efforts to select a mode. Does anyone have any experience with these?
CDARGH is offline Find More Posts by CDARGH
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Same issue here with all five of my Zig Zag 3(s). I was able to get into programming mode for the ESC,rather easily, but that was it. The beeping sequence just kept repeating itself regardless of what TX commands I tried. I've spent countless hours researching the ESC/RX brick in the Zig Zag 3. Parkzone and Hobbyzone use what physically appear to be the same unit covered in a folded plastic to drive some of their airplanes. However, these ESC/RX(s) have an Atmel chip onboard which means the sky is the limit as to what functionality may or may not be programmed into these bricks. My advise, run them until the burn out and replace them with a Seaking 35 Amp BL esc, Tacon BL motor, and GT3C from Hobbypartz. That's my path if the LHS doesn't have what I need this afternoon.
s_berri is offline Find More Posts by s_berri
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by high flyyer View Post

Sorry this took awhile! I've been busy with planes this spring. The motor I used is actually for a plane, the Parkzone F-27b Stryker. It is part number PKZ1216. Know that this is a brushed motor and works with stock system, although you can buy an external esc to plug into the throttle port. You may want to do this for li-po or brushless. That leads me to where you will find this, and that is in the water-tight box in the center of the hull. You have to unscrew the whole thing. First, I cut the wires and soldered on my new motor, cross polarity so it turns in the correct direction. The X-Port is on the reciever/esc board, right behind where your servo plugs in. You will need an extension to get it to reach. You can make one or parkzone does I believe. The way I re-sealed this is with silicone. I glued some Velcro to the module and canopy so the night flight module is secure. Just know you can't use other xport modules with this boat. Here is a video of my ZZR3 mods and how I did it. the re-programming is in a different video, let me know if you want it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6O7B4W8V4Q

Well hope this helps, again sorry for the delayed response. Let me know what you end up doing to it and if you have more questions!
What is an xport?
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen