HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
388 Posts
Discussion
Introduction Twister 2

During the Flying season after every contest and practiceday we end up with a group of dutch toppilots in a restaurant evaluating the day and the different designs and so we also came to talk about what futures a model should have to have that litle bit extra what separates the topmodels from the everymans model.
Ofcourse a good glide, good launch and good thermaling was mentioned but even more important was a very low inertia and surprisingly enough flying weight.
A low inertia wil give better handling and higher launches and it will let you know where the thermals are from a bigger distance. With a low inertia you wil be able to feel the horizontal airstreams better that are flowing towards the thermals .

Twister 2

So what is changed compared to Twister 1

Wing:

First the wingsections. Without giving up the highlift that the sections of Twister 1 had we were able to make the new sections a great deal faster in al the 3 flying fases, Launch , glide and thermal.
To make the wing lighter the rohacell is sanded down from 1 to 0.8 mm.
The spar is moved more in front so the spreadtow D box became les wide
extra bonus is that the bending stiffness from the wing increased even though the section is slightly thinner.
The new wing will have standard Carbon D box/Disser and is about 10 grams lighter making the D box wing about 110 grams or 135 gr with RDS.
The dhedral is increase to 6.5 degrees which makes handling even better

Fuselage

The fuselage is changed also drasticaly.
First the boom crosssection is made elliptical making the fuse even stiffer but the mayor change is that the nose is shortend drasticaly. The 10 grams we were able to save in the wing is put to good use by cutting down the nose to make the inertia even lower. The bonus to this is that the fuse can hold a 4 cell 500mah batterie pack giving with my Jeti system about 4.5 hours of flying.
The short nose gives extremaly good handling also in very turbulant ans windy weather.
Ofcourse we could have gone for a plane of only 240 grams but non of us flies ever any lighter then 260 grams anyway and the extra glide and the higher launch the 260 gram plane wil give will outweight the 20 gram weight win.
anytime. The fuse will come standard with a 2.4Ghz friendly kevlar nose.

Horizontal Stab.

The horizontal is increased in span and surface a bit and the section is slightly thinner and faster then the old HT08 . The moving part is also increase slightly to give better controle.

Vert stab.
The vertical is changed completly and made symetrical above and beneath the boom. The section is changed also and has less drag during launch and flying with the same cl max at launch speed as the HT 23
The rudder is 50% of the total surface.

So no fancy shapes on this one but a high performing ship that launches extremely well with great legs and very good handling.
Alex Hoekstra is online now Find More Posts by Alex Hoekstra
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 01:27 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,570 Posts
Alex,

Nice work. Is the Disser only on the bottom of those without the solid CF bottoms? It looks that way from the pictures of the "Blue" tipped one. Or is the top dusted with paint, like the blue?

chris
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Jan 08, 2010, 01:27 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,154 Posts
Oooh! That yellow, red and blue is niiiice.

Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jan 08, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2 View Post
Alex,

Nice work. Is the Disser only on the bottom of those without the solid CF bottoms? It looks that way from the pictures of the "Blue" tipped one. Or is the top dusted with paint, like the blue?

chris
There are no solid carbon bottoms. The bottom is symply painted black for visability.
Last edited by Alex Hoekstra; Jan 08, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,987 Posts
Alex,

The new version looks really good !!
How much launch height you gain compare to this and the previous version?

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:47 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Any chance in getting a close up picture of the hingeline with the flapperon deflected .I have never yet figured out what the hinge is covered with .Or is it??

Thanks
SL
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:48 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,929 Posts
Price and availability if ordered now?

Didn't the Bay Area guys just do a group order a while back?

GAry
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:56 AM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai@UCSB View Post
Alex,

The new version looks really good !!
How much launch height you gain compare to this and the previous version?

-Kai
Its hard to say because since the testflights started the ground is covered with snow and there is no way i can launch full power without sliding. I did notice a difference when its windy. The Twister 2 keeps its speed longer. In dead air there won't be much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarluck View Post
Any chance in getting a close up picture of the hingeline with the flapperon deflected .I have never yet figured out what the hinge is covered with .Or is it??

Thanks
SL
The Twister1 has a hingeline from 2 layers of 25gr glas(inside and outsidelayer that came together)
Twister2 has a hingeline of kevlar fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
Price and availability if ordered now?
GAry
You have to check with Cliff Witney from Atlanta Hobby.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:06 AM
I ♥ Carbon Fiber
Germany
Joined Apr 2006
488 Posts
Wow, Alex!

Looks just awesome!

Can you post some pictures of the fuselage without the wing?

Jonas
Jonas M. is offline Find More Posts by Jonas M.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:04 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2005
300 Posts
Nice to see a new model Alex, the old one was to good

Do you have more data around the new Twister like wing area, airfoils etc?

Best regards
Mattias Hammarskiöld
Oystmyr is offline Find More Posts by Oystmyr
Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystmyr View Post
Nice to see a new model Alex, the old one was to good

Do you have more data around the new Twister like wing area, airfoils etc?

Best regards
Mattias Hammarskiöld
I am not publishing the airfoils. The rooth is 6.8% running down to the tip of 5.1%
Old Jan 09, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
It looks real good honey and I look forward to see it for real in two days, you too by the way..;-)

Josée...xxx
Josee is offline Find More Posts by Josee
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:05 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
I had heard that Cliff was getting a Twister, but it looks like from what was said, that he will be selling them?? If that's right, I wonder how many I could get from him if I swapped him my old Air Command Gyro Copter?

Or did I interpret Alex's post wrong??

( "Gyro Copter" actually the trade name for the Benson Gyro Copter). Cliff is a fan of ultralights etc.

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:39 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSWH View Post
I had heard that Cliff was getting a Twister, but it looks like from what was said, that he will be selling them?? If that's right, I wonder how many I could get from him if I swapped him my old Air Command Gyro Copter?

Or did I interpret Alex's post wrong??

( "Gyro Copter" actually the trade name for the Benson Gyro Copter). Cliff is a fan of ultralights etc.

walt

Hum... A real Benson? maybe we could talk Walter, it all depends on the dollar/euro ;-)

We have been working with Alex for a while now and have received several of the Twister 1 planes (very nice) and have the new T2's on order for March deliveries.

The phone has been ringing but we could fly the Benson at my house..... lets see, if we could fly it inverted would it generate thermals?
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:02 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlav8r View Post
Hum... A real Benson? maybe we could talk Walter, it all depends on the dollar/euro ;-)

We have been working with Alex for a while now and have received several of the Twister 1 planes (very nice) and have the new T2's on order for March deliveries.

The phone has been ringing but we could fly the Benson at my house..... lets see, if we could fly it inverted would it generate thermals?
Sorry, I sold the Benson 35 years ago, I have the much better Air Command e/w Rotax engine. I knew one guy who flew his Gyro inverted. Not sure I've flown mine since his accident. Not scared, just lost interest.

Hope to have a look at your Twister IIs when you get them Cliff.

" Live Long and Prosper "

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH