New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by oukenfold
Joined Jan 2012
63 Posts
i have reversed the elevator do you thinks thats why when abm is trigered the plane goes up agresive.
oukenfold is offline Find More Posts by oukenfold
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2015, 01:53 AM
Find More Posts by TomC
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oukenfold View Post
i have reversed the elevator do you thinks thats why when abm is trigered the plane goes up agresive.
You only rev elevator if in abm mode it does not bench-test properly (that is, elev should move up when you move nose down).

Please refer to the manual for all this including the diff's between resetting the gyros (switching SW1 between ABM-RC, gyros deactivated 6x = bright white led light) and resetting/recording the attitude ( ABM-RC 8x =led white to green and the ailerons move back/forth) and this also takes into account the level of the unit and your Tx trim settings at your cruise speed.

The manual recommend resetting the gyros between each flight but I have not found this necessary. The Attitude record should only be needed to be done once, after you have found your proper RC cruise Tx trims (and taken note of your cruise speed which you will input into the OSD menu).

Also, refer back to Gorrie's notes;

" 1/ I flew my model in RC mode at the airspeed that I have I have programmed as my TGT SPD which is 65kph.

I then trimmed the model for straight and level flight with the transmitter trims.

Then without touching the trims I landed.

2/ I set the model down on the ground perfectly level and with it in as close to the cruise attitude as possible, about 3deg nose up for my model.

3/ I set my RC/ABM/3D switch in the ABM position then cycled it back and forth between ABM and RC 8 times (until the Aileron moves to full deflection then centers)

This does two things, 1 it sets the record attitude function and 2 it records the servo neutral position for your cruise speed. "

Do all this and you should not have any problems imho. Also, with the latest ap41 lite version I have been able to do all this by just using the OSD menu.

Today I moved my ap41 lite from my Bixler 1 to my new, larger Sky Eye. I needed to rev my ap41ap Rudder setings (because the Rudder on my Tx needed to be rev'd) and followed Gorrie's tips. After a couple to test flights and a few adjustments it fly's/works great. Again, all done just using the simple OSD menu btw.

Another thing to consider it that it is very important to locate the ap41 lite unit as close to your plane's CG as possible. With both my Bix 1 and Sky Eye I located it on the top, behind the front canopy (right facing btw, a little more rearward, closer to the front spar, on my larger Sky Eye and prob where I would put it on a Bix3). Makes it easy to see the lights.
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Old May 24, 2015, 04:55 AM
Find More Posts by BigTradioman
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
935 Posts
FY-41AP autopilot & OSD installation and debugging

Based on the poor performance of both of my 41's I would still check everything in the GCS. For example our SW 168 performed flawless for 4 x 45 min flights but after a 8 week layup we did the normal pre flight calibrations as per the manual, there had been a considerable change in ambient temp in the UK of around 14 deg C so we where very careful to warm everything up correctly. On first flight and before going out to distance ABM and RTL where checked only to find the models air speed dropping and consequently height being lost even though the correct headings where being held. We checked cruise speed in the OSD and that was correct. However, having had this issue before we connected to GCS and found that the cruise throttle % had reset to 214%. This was reset to 75%(actually all we did was reload from a previously saved setup from the model). The next flight was back to normal.

I suspect that the switches where not in null and RC when the AP was booted up, my buddy could not be sure. We now now through bitter experience that this can cause this error to occur. This is why we double check all auto flight modes whilst in LOS. Imagine having RTL triggered due to a fail safe situation such as lost video and having the model turn for home and stall out? We did.

We had one 41 that did this every other boot up regardless of tx switch position so that one was returned to retailer and replaced with the MyFlyDream AP which has not missed a beat and is so simple to set up and has fantastic immediate back up from the designer.
BigTradioman is offline Find More Posts by BigTradioman
Last edited by BigTradioman; May 24, 2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by oukenfold
Joined Jan 2012
63 Posts
whats is records the servo neutral position for your cruise speed.??
oukenfold is offline Find More Posts by oukenfold
Old May 24, 2015, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by TomC
Joined Nov 2003
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oukenfold View Post
whats is records the servo neutral position for your cruise speed.??
When you do the Record Attitude (see manual Step 7, page 28) you do this after flying in RC mode (gyros deacvtivated) and trimming your Tx for straight and level flight at it's cruise speed (= the speed you feel it fly's best at, based on the speed readout on your OSD while actually flying it, or at least a good estimate, say 55-60 km/hr).

After following this Step 7 (manual, page 28) this not only resets the gyros, it also records your Tx trim positions and sees them as the 'centre' positions where the gyros should try to take it back to in say ABM mode.

Unlike the simple 'reset gyros' which the manual says is a good idea to do before each flight, you only need to do this 'Record Attitude' after your initial test flights and/or after upgrading firmware or changing any electronic equipment.

While I have never seen the cruise speed I have previously selected using the OSD menu change from what I have set it at, I do think it's a good idea to simply go into the OSD menu each day before flying, just to make sure.

BTW, I have not bothered to use the airspeed module so I do not adjust for it on the OSD menu.
Old May 26, 2015, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2009
935 Posts
TomC the whole point of the 41 with ASI is that it will maintain your set air speed up down and across wind. Without it it would be possible to stall downwind when in an auto flight mode.
Old May 26, 2015, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by TomC
Joined Nov 2003
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman View Post
TomC the whole point of the 41 with ASI is that it will maintain your set air speed up down and across wind. Without it it would be possible to stall downwind when in an auto flight mode.
Of course you are correct. However, for me it's just something else to install/calibrate/maintain, and something else that can go wrong.

I purposely select (and trim for level flight) with a cruise speed that is well above my plane's stall speed to help take into account diff's between gps ground speed and actual airspeed. So far this has worked out very well for me.

Also, I am just using my ap41 lite in electric powered gliders which have a low wing loading and a very low stall speed (and a pretty wide flight speed envelope). I probably would use the airspeed indicator module if I was flying a higher performance plane with a higher wing loading, esp. in windy/gusty conditions.
Old Jun 07, 2015, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by Agades
Joined Mar 2015
19 Posts
Hi, everyone!
I have a FY-41AP Lite video problem - my favorite Lawmate (1000mW) Tx doesn't work plugged in VideoOut. Smaller 200mW Tx works as expected. Both Tx are working fine with Arkbird and DOSD.
FY-41AP Lite provides stabilized 12V to Tx, but maxCurrent wasn't mentioned in manual. Lawmate draws about 450mA.
Is it possible Lawmate's 450mA is too much for FY-41AP Lite stabilizer, or Lawmate itself is not suitable for FY-41AP Lite at all?
I tried connect to Tx only Ground and Signal wires and get 12V (+) directly from the battery - result is the same.
Agades is offline Find More Posts by Agades
Old Jun 08, 2015, 02:01 AM
Find More Posts by TomC
Joined Nov 2003
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agades View Post
Hi, everyone!
I have a FY-41AP Lite video problem - my favorite Lawmate (1000mW) Tx doesn't work plugged in VideoOut. Smaller 200mW Tx works as expected. Both Tx are working fine with Arkbird and DOSD.
FY-41AP Lite provides stabilized 12V to Tx, but maxCurrent wasn't mentioned in manual. Lawmate draws about 450mA.
Is it possible Lawmate's 450mA is too much for FY-41AP Lite stabilizer, or Lawmate itself is not suitable for FY-41AP Lite at all?
I tried connect to Tx only Ground and Signal wires and get 12V (+) directly from the battery - result is the same.
Not sure if I can help since I do not use that vtx. I use an Immersion 5.8g 600mw vtx and it works great. I'm not sure but your problem maybe the lack of good power filtering on either the 21ap and/or your vtx.

Maybe try completely bypassing the ap41 and make a y-lead to go from your camera to the ap41 vid output signal to see if you can get the 41ap osd to combine with your vtx video.
Old Jun 08, 2015, 03:09 AM
Joined Oct 2009
935 Posts
Quote:
Hi, everyone!
In the early days of using the 41 heavy combined with immersion gear we experienced diagonal moving lines on the picture. We eliminated some of this by powering the vtx from a separate power supply with home made LC filter. In our case we used a LiFe cell with a voltage regulator. You could also do this to supply a clean and stabilised voltage to the vtx. The only issue we had was monitoring the pack. We overcame this by putting a simple battery monitor in view of the camera so by panning round we could see the monitor.
Old Jun 08, 2015, 05:34 AM
Find More Posts by Agades
Joined Mar 2015
19 Posts
Yea, I powered VTx (Lawmate 1000mW 1.3GHz) from separate battery and connected Ground and Signal only to AP - no image.
Other brand purchased from Bevrc 200mW 1.3GHz works fine at any powering method.
Tried to check signal also from AP to Monitor and Glasses at direct connection - signal is fine.

That's really strange if Lawmate is not compatible with FY_41AP in some cases.

Thank you anyway!

Andris.
Agades is offline Find More Posts by Agades
Old Jun 19, 2015, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by cioro
Romania
Joined Feb 2014
9 Posts
Is anyone successfully using the AS sensor with 41AP Lite? I'm very interested to know because I'm about to seal an EZ*2 and don't want to make any surgery afterwards.
cioro is offline Find More Posts by cioro
Old Jun 20, 2015, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2009
935 Posts
FY-41AP autopilot & OSD installation and debugging

Quote:
Yea, I powered VTx (Lawmate 1000mW 1.3GHz) from separate battery and connected Ground and Signal only to AP - no image.

Other brand purchased from Bevrc 200mW 1.3GHz works fine at any powering method.

Tried to check signal also from AP to Monitor and Glasses at direct connection - signal is fine.

That's really strange if Lawmate is not compatible with FY_41AP in some cases.

Thank you anyway!

Andris.

That's not correct. We have used different vtx and cameras with separate power supply and they all work. Are you sure you have a common earth? All the 41 does to the video signal is overlay the OSD so the video signal must go through the AP. The power to the vtx and camera can be from a separate source. We did this for two reasons: there was a diagonal rolling wave interference on the output and there is no voltage monitor on the OSD for the video. Therefore if you lose the flight pack in flight you also lose the video. A separate video power means you should have a picture to the end. LC filters helped with the waves but did not cure them. Changing from Immersion VTX to Aomway did.
Last edited by BigTradioman; Jun 21, 2015 at 03:17 AM.