SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2002, 03:58 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,104 Posts
Beaver Improvements

A 10 x 4.70 prop is a better selection than the 10 x 8 they ship with it. Battery runs cooler and takeoff performance is better plus it flies at a lower throttle setting.

Wing flutter can be reduced (eliminated?) by adding a couple of bamboo skewer ribs on each wing. Just soak the bamboo in hot water for a couple of hours and then bend it to match the profile of the underwing as shown in the Beaver section of:
http://geocities.com/hoppyfl

The rib can be held in place with clear packing tape. My Beaver has one by the strut and one about 1/2 way between the strut and the wing tip. I also read where a full length 1/8" dowel taped to the leading edge will work. This would also protect the wing from impact dings.

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2002, 06:40 PM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
prop

Yep, for sure the 10x4.7 seems to be the best altho I didn't try the 9x7x3 - - - My pride and joy flipped over on its back just as it ROG'd - - - Wind gust from the side.
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Aug 18, 2002, 07:03 PM
Joined Dec 2001
55 Posts
The 10x 4.7 props I got from balsa products didn't fit. the prop nut hole is way bigger than any of my GWS stuff. what did you do?
splat man is offline Find More Posts by splat man
Old Aug 18, 2002, 08:26 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,104 Posts
I used a GWS prop

If you use a prop saver, you may still be able to use them if the hole is about the same diameter as the shaft. Do a search for prop saver for ideas.

hoppy
Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:27 PM
Webster, NY
Joined Jul 2002
111 Posts
Re: Beaver Improvements

Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy
A 10 x 4.70 prop is a better selection than the 10 x 8 they ship with it. Battery runs cooler and takeoff performance is better plus it flies at a lower throttle setting.
Damn, I just bought two extra 10X8 props.

Quote:
Wing flutter can be reduced (eliminated?) by adding a couple of bamboo skewer ribs on each wing. Just soak the bamboo in hot water for a couple of hours and then bend it to match the profile of the underwing as shown in the Beaver section of:
http://geocities.com/hoppyfl

The rib can be held in place with clear packing tape. My Beaver has one by the strut and one about 1/2 way between the strut and the wing tip. I also read where a full length 1/8" dowel taped to the leading edge will work. This would also protect the wing from impact dings.
Are these "ribs" placed under the wing in the same direction as the airflow over/under the wing?

Is this fix in addition to the so-called "flight advisory" fix advised by Horizon Hobby on their web site, e.g., the strapping tape fix on the trailing edge of the wing?

Why wouldn't one just epoxy these ribs in place instead of using clear packing tape?
srogers316292 is offline Find More Posts by srogers316292
Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:41 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
i like the apc 10x7 way better than the apc 10x4.7 on the beaver, but im still only using 6 cells, as far as mounting apc props on GWS shafts, you have to buy an adapter set from gws, only costs a few bucks, you can get it from aeromicro, im not fond of the gws slowfly props at all, i feel they lose alot of their pitch the faster they spin, and they are hard, if not impossible to balance, the apc props are stiffer and straighter, and i can balance them on my magnetic balancer to perfection, if you like to break props then stick with the gws flexible cheapies untill you can spend the extra 4 bucks on a worthy prop and adapter

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:16 PM
ne pa.
Joined Jul 2002
120 Posts
Like the apc 10x7 too. Want to find a good gear for the 9x7x3 though.
Jim
j.d.roost is offline Find More Posts by j.d.roost
Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:42 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,104 Posts
The ribs are instead of the tape fix. The ribs are put under the wing and can be glued on if you like.

The GWS 10x8 and 10x4.7 are quite durable if you use a prop saver. With a 7x700 NiMH pack and the 10x4.7, it will fly at about 1/3 throttle.

A 9x7 might be great in order to minimize gound strikes.

Does the 10x7 APC have less blade area than the 10x8 GWS prop??

hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Aug 18, 2002 at 10:59 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:18 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
the apc 10x7 and the gws 10x8 seem to have about the same area, pitch barely differs, but i feel that the pitch stays more constant on the apc than the gws, considering the apc is made up of composite fibers and the gws is plastic, the apc has sharper edges and a more pronunced airfoil shape
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:19 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
installed on the beav
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:20 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
prop adapter
Old Aug 19, 2002, 05:45 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,104 Posts
For those of you who like performance data, the 10x4.7 provides 2oz MORE thrust at 2A LESS current than the 10x8 at 8.4V. Now I know why the 10x4.7 flies the plane better and the battery stays cooler. Now you have to ask, "why does GWS supply it with a 10x8?". Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

hoppy
Old Aug 19, 2002, 06:02 PM
Webster, NY
Joined Jul 2002
111 Posts
Quote:
For those of you who like performance data, the 10x4.7 provides 2oz MORE thrust at 2A LESS current than the 10x8 at 8.4V. Now I know why the 10x4.7 flies the plane better and the battery stays cooler. Now you have to ask, "why does GWS supply it with a 10x8?". Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

hoppy
Would the 10X4.7 performance be the same (releatively speaking) on 7.2 Volts i.e., the stock battery?
srogers316292 is offline Find More Posts by srogers316292
Old Aug 19, 2002, 07:25 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,104 Posts
This data is coming from the GWS site:http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...em/eps300c.htm

It shows 1/2oz more thrust at 2A less draw for the 10x4.7 at 7.2V.

Do we believe them??? My flying tests seem to confirm that data.

hoppy
Old Aug 19, 2002, 08:11 PM
San Fernando Valley
Joined Jun 2002
444 Posts
A timely post! I just busted by 1080 prop (fight with a football goalpost), and was about to buy some new ones. I'll buy two of each and see how they work, then post my results.
markwild is offline Find More Posts by markwild