WBD
Carbon Fiber Geek
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Feb 2012
98 Posts
Discussion
Sparky / TauLabs built by Dragon Circuits

Anybody seen this yet?
Assembled in the USA... that alone interests me..

From there website..

Dragon Circuits would like to introduce the highly anticipated Sparky flight controller. We have taken this amazing flight controller designed by Peabody124 for Tau Labs and built it here in the USA using the same stringent inspection and manufacturing methods used for our aerospace and military customers. All the sensors in Sparky are genuine, no cloned sensors here. These two factors together equal the highest quality flight controller on the market today.
Specifications:
- GPS capable for functions such as RTH (Return To Home), Position Hold and Waypoint navigation in conjunction with a ground station.
- Mavlink compatible for the use of telemetry radios for use with a ground station to provide location information and waypoint navigation.
- Barometric pressure sensor on board for accurate altitude hold indoors or out
- 9dof accelerometer / gyro for the absolute quickest and most accurate angle recognition and correction
- 2 serial ports
- PPM only
- SBus Support and DSM2/x support with user selectable 3.3v or 5v setting.
- Camera stabilization output for 3 axis
- 10 channel outputs
- Up to 3 adc inputs for rssi
- Very compact design, perfect for small UAV’s where space is limited. Also excellent in larger machines as well.
- Available with 90 degree header pins and straight header pins for easy installation no matter what your frame requires.
- Choose matching colors for your equipment. Red, Black, Blue, White, Green and Yellow.
- Taulabs ground station / firmware compatible
Vehicle compatibility options include:
Multirotor – Quad X, Quad +, Hex, Hex x, Hex Y6, Octo, Octo V, Octo Coax X, Octo Coax +
Ground – Car/Truck, Motorcycle, Tank
Helicopter – CCPM, FP
Fixed Wing – Standard (elevator, aileron, rudder), Elevon and VTail mixing
Custom – mix your own settings for almost any vehicle

I have flown just about every flight controller out there and am looking forward to flying this one.
For $69.00 I preordered one!

Anybody else fly a Sparky or order one?
WBD is offline Find More Posts by WBD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:19 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,452 Posts
link?
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:20 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
359 Posts
I'm a test pilot for Dragon Circuits and I'm really enjoying this new Sparky board so far. I've only tested the basic Autotune feature on my QAV250 at this point, but soon I will be testing the GPS features also. It's shocking how stable and smooth it is with these autotuned PIDs. Here's my maiden flight. It's not perfect but I'm very impressed with it so far. More testing and more videos to come...

http://www.dragoncircuits.com/shop/sparky/

Sparky on 250 - autotuned test 1 (3 min 4 sec)
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:07 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
I'm a test pilot for Dragon Circuits and I'm really enjoying this new Sparky board so far. I've only tested the basic Autotune feature on my QAV250 at this point, but soon I will be testing the GPS features also. It's shocking how stable and smooth it is with these autotuned PIDs. Here's my maiden flight. It's not perfect but I'm very impressed with it so far. More testing and more videos to come...

http://www.dragoncircuits.com/shop/sparky/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ4Z9EWfHV4
Nice mate. Is that with 1.3G FPV?
cruiser73 is offline Find More Posts by cruiser73
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:16 AM
1sq
United States, CA, Imperial Beach
Joined Mar 2013
1,349 Posts
How matured is the GPS capability on this board? VIDEO?

How does auto tuning works?
1sq is offline Find More Posts by 1sq
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2014
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sq View Post
How matured is the GPS capability on this board? VIDEO?

How does auto tuning works?

The gps functions for the Sparky board are pretty refined....but GPS really depends on the controller software. Taulabs has come a very long way from the beginning. They have refined and added a lot of functionality to make it as good as it is today.
The board can be equally as stable and calm and can be very agile and is very capable as an acro board.

I will load some vids for you.

Here is the altitude hold test that they have where you can fly around at an altitude. Kind of like ad DJI phantom, where the throttle controls only altitude and not speed.
Pakman quad Sparky FC taulabs altitude hold testin (0 min 40 sec)

Another video of the GPS position hold function of Taulabs on the Sparky Flight controller.
Pakman Polakium Mini Hex GPS Position Hold test (0 min 51 sec)

Last video is of some initial shakedown flights of some acro flight to see how it performs. You can see that the board is super smooth and cane be very agile at the same time. I don't know how to explain it better than it flies very tight...and crisp...yet smooth also.

Pakman Polakium SS HQuad Pro Sparky FC Taulabs Next 6-17 Acro Flight (3 min 4 sec)
spak is offline Find More Posts by spak
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:17 AM
WBD
Carbon Fiber Geek
Joined Feb 2012
98 Posts
That looks awesome.!
Now I really cant wait for mine to arrive.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:57 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Nov 2005
1,509 Posts
Going to preorder too but what about the GPS don't see it on the site to order. Is it in the works?
Chad2323 is offline Find More Posts by Chad2323
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:23 PM
WBD
Carbon Fiber Geek
Joined Feb 2012
98 Posts
Talking to Spak via email and for now he is using the $18 unit from witespy. However, I did email DragonCircuits and was informed that they will have their own soon but also mentioned using the witespy unit for now.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2014
167 Posts
Yeah i am using the neo 6m from witespy.. but you can pretty much use most all ublox gps modules available from various places... and no need for an external compass. So if you get one just get a gps only with no compass. Witespy has a couple different kinds.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,509 Posts
Thank's for the info guys. So no need to to change anything on the gps to make it work with this controller? I know with the Revo you have to go through a few different things to get one of those to work. I guess I have allot of time to read up on this.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
810 Posts
Id like to know more about the autotune process.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:20 PM
1sq
United States, CA, Imperial Beach
Joined Mar 2013
1,349 Posts
Is there an option to disable the onboard magnetometer?

Can someone invite Peabody to chime in and is there already a wiki, GUI for this FC?
1sq is offline Find More Posts by 1sq
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sq View Post
Is there an option to disable the onboard magnetometer?

Can someone invite Peabody to chime in and is there already a wiki, GUI for this FC?

http://forum.taulabs.org/index.php
http://taulabs.org

I already downloaded the software for my mac love it just like the Open Pilot so no learning curve at least not much.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2014
167 Posts
Taulabs is very similar to open pilot...as these guys are the ones who developed for open pilot before. The gps module will need to be configured ...but taulabs now has an autofigure option that is enabled by default. If you plug in the gps to the fc....the gcs will autoconfigure the necessary messages for you so that the gps will function. It will be a good idea to at least set the gps module to the correct matching baudrate in the gcs beforehand. A lot of information is on taulabs forums and their github respository...if you have any other questions i will be happy to answer what i can.