HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:42 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts
New Product
The Minion (another mini H quad)

A while back I decided to make my own mini based on BO H quad. I certainly took my sweet time to get her done but it is coming together now. I design this mini around a cc3d or similar size boards, a kk2 board can be used but it will stick out of the frame. It also was design to be efficient on the cnc, to be simple to assemble, to have a minimal amount of plates to reduce cost and weight.

The arms come in pair to add strengths to them but if they brake they can be hand cut right in the middle and can later be used as separate arms and be hold in place by 3 bolts each, it will add the weight of one extra bolt and nut per arm but it will allow you to use the broken arms so money is not wasted.

The main idea of creating this quad is simplicity, durability and affordability.

The mini is made out of 100% pure 3k Twill Weave Carbon Fiber.

- Top plate 1mm CF
- Bottom plate 2mm CF
- Arms 2.5mm CF
- Camera mount 1.5mm CF
​- 8 M3 35mm withe nylon standoff
- 4 M3x12mm withe nylon Male-Female standoff
- 4 M3 nylon nuts
- 16 M3x6mm withe nylon screws
- 8 Stanley Steel M3x10mm screws
- 8 Stanley Steel M3 lock-nuts
- 4 rubber grommet for camera dampening

Here is the list of what i will be using on this little bugger:

- ZMR Motors http://www.myrcmart....ise-p-6281.html
- 12 A Afro ESC http://www.hobbyking..._Firmware_.html
- CC3D http://www.readymade...roducts_id=1555
- FrSky 8CH Receiver http://www.hobbyking...ceiver_HV_.html it will be replaced by this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24788
- SC2000 Camera http://www.securityc...D-Menu-DNR.html
- FatShark or AW 100mw Vtx for the moment i will see how that go's and i will go from there, not sure at the moment which one i will be using.
- CP Vtx Antenna http://www.aliexpres.../900577346.html
- GF 5x3 Propellers
-Turnigy nano-tech 1400 3S 40~80C Lipo pack http://www.hobbyking...idproduct=20391

when i use my kk2 board i like to hold it in place with this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html

The web site is work in progress at the moment but soon will be up and running.

There are pictures of an earlier prototype #2 in which the bottom plate and the arms are fused together in only one solid plate.

For those incline to use rubber dampers (bobbins) to isolate motor vibration there is an extra plate that can be added.

The Minion is now in stock the price is $109.99 USD but for the month of December it will be at $99.99 if interested please pm me

Now whe have GemFan 5x3 props in black, orange and green. The price is $11.99 USD per a pack of 16 props (8CW & 8CCW)

Cheers
Pat.
Patrizio_g is offline Find More Posts by Patrizio_g
Last edited by Patrizio_g; Apr 09, 2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Price of the Minion
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:43 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts

News:

January 26/014
-GemFan 5X3 propellers are now available in Black, Orange and Green. $11.99 USD per a pack of 16 props (8CW & 8CCW)

January/18/2014
- The website is currently under construction, it has proven difficult for me so it is know in more capable hands
- GF 0530 propellers will be available soon
- All the nylon for the minion is black from now on

THE MINION

- Top plate 1mm CF
- Bottom plate 2mm CF
- Arms 2.5mm CF
- Camera mount 1.5mm CF
- MTM 218mm
- Font to back 198mm
- With 43mm
- Empty frame weight 85 g

P.
Last edited by Patrizio_g; Jan 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:51 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts
Here are some pictures and videos of prototype #2

ZMRtesting (0 min 47 sec)

Pat G's little ripper. (2 min 47 sec)

Minion production frame videos from Chicken sashimi and JMisuraca

Minion 04 LOS flight after PID changes (5 min 46 sec)

Minion 02 First FPV flight (5 min 13 sec)

Minion 03 Crash aftermath (1 min 11 sec)

bench warmer (2 min 38 sec)

Winter groundstation. (2 min 57 sec)

P.
Last edited by Patrizio_g; Jan 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts
Sneak pic from the cutter i should have some frames before the holidays if Canada post don't fail me
Old Dec 10, 2013, 09:03 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts

How to reuse a broken arm:

- First get the broken arm and mark the middle
- Second cut the arm just before the middle
- Once you cut the first one use it as a template to cut any other arm

P.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts

Sashimi is doing a grate job with #2 oh and those are the default settings from the naze32 as well.
Anyhow #2 is back in the air and she lost more waight on wiring, here is a picture. 382 grams isn't bad at all.

P.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,920 Posts
Cool frame. Looks light
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:18 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Cool frame. Looks light
Thanks Tony.

380g for a mini it's actually pretty good they usually end up between 400~500 gram if you get it to be on the 300 g then it is good. Now remember that prototype #2 has one solid bottom plate, arms and bottom plate are one plate so there is no screws or nuts to add wayght wich is nice but it also makes the bottom plate very expensive and if an arm brake you will have to replace the hole thing probably at a 3/4 of the price of the entire frame.
The final dedign is a bit skinnier do it's lighter on the cf parts but it has 8 bolts and nuts so hopefully it even out, I will know fore sure once they arraive hopefully this week.

Pat.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
1sq
United States, CA, Imperial Beach
Joined Mar 2013
986 Posts
Subscribed.
1sq is offline Find More Posts by 1sq
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:35 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sq View Post
Subscribed.
Thanks for the support stay tuned

P.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:55 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts
Ok i'm bored so decided to make the harness for the Minion wile i wait for the frame so im using 16AWG to connect to the battery and 18AWG for the ESC and i'm going by this:

this is from Here
13=100+amps
14=50 to 75 amps
16=25 to 74 amps
18=less than 25 amps
20=less than 20 amps

next time i think i will try 16AWG and 20AWG.

On another note I'm having sync problem with my Afros and the ZMR so i ordered the programmer but god knows when it will arrive so someone from op suggested to solder a 100uF cap on the Afro ESC to prevent the sync problem, it solves the problem no matter what fw you have so i decided to test this way and also i figure i can use one cap on the harness right before it split to the 4 ESC to save on some weight. This is my finding:

- tested one cap on one ESC and it worked like a charm
- used the distribution board from HK to connect all the ESC and motors with cap and it worked perfect
- used the distribution board and no cap and also worked perfect :@ so now i don't know what to make of it.

I am going to fly the minion without the cap first, if it doesn't work i will add the cap on the harness and when i get my programmer i will flash the Afros.

Pat.

Ps. First frames are in Canada i should have them this coming week
Old Dec 16, 2013, 07:40 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts
Ok the bloody kits wen out for delivery today and as expected Canada post didn't pass by my house today so a bit more waiting, hopefully they pass by tomorrow when I'm home or I will have to go and pick them up a day or two after the delivery attempt

Pat.

Ps. Final price is set $109.99 and they will be at $99.99 for the remaining of December
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts
Well finally got my glossy frames in woot woot, will start the build this weekend and i will ship one out to sashimi as well. We still have bad weather here so that's why there are no new videos from sashimi, he is doing hover flights on his garage lol hopefully we can get some videos going during the holidays

Oh a bit of a bad news this glossy frames that i got are not as clean as i was expecting so this ones are not for sale, see the difference in the picture between the glossy and the matte ones (matte are not delivered yet but they are here in Canada)

Also i have a Hybrid frame (see picture) top and bottom plate are made out of 1.5mm G-10 we think it can take the abuse, if it does then it will be an option for a cheaper frame and if it doesn't then no harm done

Now what i do need is a test pilot for the hybrid frame

cheers
Pat.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:10 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
366 Posts
This is as far as my build will get today. She weights 85 g once i get the camera mount it will be closer to 90 g

Pat.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2012
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizio_g View Post
This is as far as my build will get today. She weights 85 g once i get the camera mount it will be closer to 90 g

Pat.

carbon fiber looks cool, do the arms bend at all or is the carbon fiber very rigid for it?
markymarkz is offline Find More Posts by markymarkz