HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Discussion
Any Russian engine experts here?

Today I was the Academy of Model Aeronautics helping the person who set up the engine display to identify various engines. We came across three apparently Russian 7cc glow engines marked радчга, or Radiga in English, I suppose. I could find references to such a Russian name, but no references to an engine maker by that name. Can anybody shed some light on these engines? I may have the name wrong, since the casting was not perfect on any of the three where the name was.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:59 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,613 Posts
The name is "Raduga-7" made in Russia around 1974 for C/L stunt:
http://www.rojobcn.com/technic/avion/raduga.htm
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:20 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,844 Posts
Actually Raduga means Rainbow in English.
The Russians had a tendency to name lots of things Rainbow too.
As to where it was actually made can be tough as they had something like 50 locations making various engines off and on way back then.

There is a thread I started here a while back. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10139055/tm.htm
On the second page is a pic of a 1978 version of the Raduga 7cc engine like this one here:
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 25, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,039 Posts
I like the cool engine stand used in the pictures. Clarence Lee used to show engines supported by what looked like bent coathanger wire.
Some sort of a stand really dresses up the appearance of the engine.
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
While you're at the AMA see if there's any of the Stass's engines, in particular the RE version as below. The SE version is relatively common but I've never seen any mention of the RE anywhere at all. So far, no one on any forum has been able to shed any light on it. On the other side of the crankcase the name Stass's is replaced with Russia and the 42 by a 7.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
While you're at the AMA see if there's any of the Stass's engines, in particular the RE version as below. The SE version is relatively common but I've never seen any mention of the RE anywhere at all. So far, no one on any forum has been able to shed any light on it. On the other side of the crankcase the name Stass's is replaced with Russia and the 42 by a 7.
You seems to be the only one to know about them!

http://holdfastmac.asn.au/technical-...s/stass-42-re/
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
You seems to be the only one to know about them!
And I suspect the only one who's actually using one . It's in a profile CL stunt trainer I built for my son, tuned pipe and all, and it works very well indeed.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:27 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Great information, guys! Many thanks! Downunder, I'll see what I can find out next time I'm there.

Earl, we didn't think the muffler was the right one for the engine, since it was very ill-fitted, but it's the same as what's in your photo, so it must be correct.

Geoff
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
Yee Haaaa....I now know the story behind the Stas's engines.

On a tip from another forum I emailed an Ebay seller in Sydney by the name of Ilya Leydman who used to have a business in Sydney called Macheast selling all types of Russian engines including the Stas's. Imagine my surprise when he told me that he'd actually made the Stas's!

Ilya went to Moscow in 1992 and, with some Russian partners, bought some of the machinery that had been used to make the Marz 2.5 diesels. The intent was to make what eventually became known as the Zeus 42 and 61 engines but wanted to get familiar with the casting and machinery operations on a trial engine first. The result was the Stas's which used design cues from both Profi and Webra as an inspiration for styling. Finish of individual engines could vary because they were trying different methods all the time, which explains why my SE has machined cylinder fins while the RE is as cast. The engines were named after the Russian manager's son, Stas.

All up, about 250 engines were made and only 50 of them were the RE version. Ilya brought all of them back to Australia where most were then exported to the USA.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Feb 2008
345 Posts
downunder. You're very kind to share this story with the R/C community ... thank you for the information. You always contribute to the well-being and betterment of others in need ... truely awesome. You seem to have devoted your life to this hobby and give back at every level. You share a wealth of knowledge and ask for nothing in return. That is a testament in itself. We are very fortunate to have you as a freind.
Kind regards, SC.
PS Not to overlook anyone here. To earlwb and so many others ... we read these post and beneift dearly from your contribution to the forum. thank you all for taking the time out of your day to give back to others ... we all appreciate it.
screilly is offline Find More Posts by screilly
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:34 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,103 Posts
I have one of the MAC 10 engines from Russia still in the crate. Didn't want to run it as I bought it more as a collectors item. I'll put a pic up if you like. Bought it in the late 80s if I remember right. Says it has Hot Bulb Ignition.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Mar 04, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:35 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Amazing! Really good fortune, Downunder!

Now if he knows anything about the other two engines I asked about in my second thread, I would be most happy to hear about it!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1603934

Geoff
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:02 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I have one of the MAC 10 engines from Russia still in the crate. Didn't want to run it as I bought it more as a collectors item. I'll put a pic up if you like. Bought it in the late 80s if I remember right. Says it has Hot Bulb Ignition.

Gord.
Here is one of mine:

The rear exhaust Mac 10cc engine is a high performance engine that can really run strong. it is somewhat spectacular with a tuned pipe on it too.
We have a thread going on about some Russian engines here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10139055/tm.htm

Kmot had started a thread on the Mac 10cc rear exhaust engine a long time ago here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70..._1/key_/tm.htm

and here is Kmot's video clip of it on a tuned pipe:
Russian MAC (MDS) 10cc FIRE, 3rd Run (4 min 8 sec)
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 04, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:52 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,103 Posts
Yep, Looks like the same motor other than the side ex. and anodized head.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2