HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:29 PM
Warbirds & Monster Trucks
Kristiansand - Norway
Joined Dec 2004
116 Posts
Yippee!
One Zero for Japan!

Hello everyone, I got my slope glider GWS Zero finished yesterday and today it was maiden time

First the setup:

MOTOR EP 400 - "F" geared
PROPELLER EP 9070 - 3 bladed
ESC GWS 300 w heatsink
BATTERIES KAN 650
SERVOS 3 GWS naro
RECIEVER GWS 4 channel
COVERING SoLite Solarfilm

This was my first attempt at covering and the results were good enough for me but perhaps you think its a bit to wrinkly? I have trouble getting it to cover the curved areas, the wings and most of the body was easy though.

I had not seen anyone using this exact motor/battery combo before so I was a little unsure of what it would do performance wise. As it turned out I worried needlessly because it flew better than ANY of my other 3 GWS planes! It was way faster and slowed down better (for landings and slow flying) turned better was more controllable had longer flight times etc... than my Corsair (400 direct w 7035 prop), TM400 and SS (well the SS slows down even more but hey thats expected).

I flew 4 KAN 650 batts through it on its first day and LOVED every second of it! I didnt cut the upper hole in the cowling yet, and I covered the cooling hole for the batts so maybe thats why I got much longer flight times - no wind chill?

All I can say is "Thank you GWS for another wonderful and easy to fly plane"!

Here are some pics from todays flying, sorry no inflight pics (or video) yet - it`s not easy to convince people to film in these temperatures. The last picture has my father in it holding my plane - he wanted to see the first flight of the Zero. He has a TM 400 and a Cessna (other brand), now he wants a Zero aswell!

Enjoy!
PlagueWulf II is offline Find More Posts by PlagueWulf II
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,276 Posts
Very Nice!!
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:36 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Thanks for your positive comments to GWS.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jan 29, 2005, 01:37 PM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
501 Posts
Zero!

Very nice Plaguewulf.A true R/Cer braving the cold & snow to fly his plane.I finally maidened mine today-mine flies well after a little adjusting of the elevator linkage.The first flight i had to give full elevator trim just to make it fly somewhat level.I managed to land it without any damage.Once i adjusted it she flew beautiful-she glides in well for landings!!! I use a Himax 2015-5400 motor/gearbox and CC 25 ESC to pull it through the sky.I had a little trouble with my Spitfire though.The receiver seemed to be the culprit of this incident.Oh well-at least its fixable.
ltz400 is offline Find More Posts by ltz400
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:30 PM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
It looks great PlagueWulf II . I too enjoy flying on the snow
NJ Flyer 72 is offline Find More Posts by NJ Flyer 72
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:53 PM
Kristiansand - Norway
Joined Dec 2004
116 Posts
Thanks for your nice comments guys! I was going to take some closeups at home, but the batteries died. When I get new batteries (tomorrow or monday) I will post some closeups, but let me warn you there are wrinkles on most (read: all) curved surfaces.
I will attempt to recover the parts that are wrinkeled later, but for a few weeks atleast I will just enjoy flying this plane.

itz400: your planes look awsome! Is that Zero based on a real colour scheme or something you invented? Sorry to see you had some bad luck with your spitty.

NJ Flyer 72: Yeah flying in the snow is really fun, I dont mind the cold just put on warm clothes and there is hardly any difference to flying in warmer weather. Infact there are several positives to flying in the winter - there seems to be runways everywhere and the ground is either rock hard and smooth (ice) or nice and fluffy (fresh snow) its like a large safety net around the airstrip. The only thing that really sucks with the winter is the shorter flight times, but I bring 6 KAN650`s so I get to spend a couple of hours each time before the fun ends.

Edit:
All trimming this plane needed was one click down elevator, looks like this Zero likes the motor/batt/prop combo very much.

edit2:
GWS4CEO: You will continue to enjoy praise for your products as long as they are of such high quality and low price! Keep up the good work!
Last edited by PlagueWulf II; Jan 29, 2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:13 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2004
1,007 Posts
Very nice! Man, I kinda wish it would snow here...I now have the urge to fly my Corsair in the snow.

By the way Plaguewulf, what is your AUW and what kind of flight time do you get with the KANs?
spencer6891 is offline Find More Posts by spencer6891
Old Jan 30, 2005, 03:26 AM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,184 Posts
Some nice looking zeros out there, they are beautiful planes arent they. Plague wolf ive covered my zero with solarfilm, its my 3rd covering job and dont worry they get better each time, ive learnt that smaller pieces of solarfilm are the way to go round those hard bits. Did you fly your plane uncovered? just for your opinion between a covered plane and uncovered. I found the controls crisper, the fuse stronger, easier to clean and the wings stiffer - definatley worth the effort.

Joseph
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
Old Jan 30, 2005, 07:30 PM
Kristiansand - Norway
Joined Dec 2004
116 Posts
spencer6891: Yeah winter flying is sweet! My Corsair likes the snow very much, it doesnt noseover on every landing when the ground is this hard.

The weight with everything in it (batt motor etc.) is 525 grams (18,5 ounces) approximately, the scale is not very accurate just a kitchen weight. I think it might be a little lower and will try weighing it again later to check. With the Corsair I get around 8 minutes in the cold but got atleast 12 minutes (didnt time it but I think it could be as high as 15) with the Zero on kan650`s. This will probably increase when the temperatures come back to normal I think.

I didnt weigh it before I flew it, so I was very suprised at the heavy weight as it was able to fly slower than my TM400 without losing altitude - go figure.

ipjodan: I didnt fly it uncovered, but my other planes are uncovered. I havent thought about strength yet, but it must atleast help out a bit, and certainly protect it from hangar rash.

This plane seemed very much more accurate and sturdy than my others, so yes I also think its worth it. And I will cover all my future planes aswell.

Thanks for the covering tip aswell, I might just rip off the parts I am less satisfied with and cover them again - do you think this is a good idea? Or do I just leave it as it is?

Your Zero looks beautiful BTW.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:10 PM
Where o where has my America g
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2013
52 Posts
much love for the Zero but she does STEAL the covers at nite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipjodan View Post
Some nice looking zeros out there, they are beautiful planes arent they. Plague wolf ive covered my zero with solarfilm, its my 3rd covering job and dont worry they get better each time, ive learnt that smaller pieces of solarfilm are the way to go round those hard bits. Did you fly your plane uncovered? just for your opinion between a covered plane and uncovered. I found the controls crisper, the fuse stronger, easier to clean and the wings stiffer - definatley worth the effort.

Joseph
I got much love for the Zero
[IMG][/IMG]
stsguy is offline Find More Posts by stsguy