SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:10 AM
Joined Oct 2014
6 Posts
Help!
Linking Transmitter to Receiver

Hello everyone,

I am new-ish to the RC airplane game. I dabbled in it a few years back, but have flown helis more recently. I recently purchased a Flyzone Super Cub Select, TX-R. The receiver it came with is a Tactic RA-624. I have a Heli-Max TX-610 transmitter which works perfectly fine with my helis. It also can be used for airplanes if set to R-1, which it is. So, SLT compatible transmitter, SLT compatible receiver everything seems to be set right but I can't get them to link. Not sure what gives. I have a backup receiver from another plane which doesn't connect either. So the problem seems to be coming from the transmitter itself. Does anyone have any experience in getting the two to link? I'd be grateful for some opinions. I would really like to fly tomorrow. With how easy it is to link my SLT helicopters, I can't imagine this would be so difficult for an airplane unless there is some off the wall setting preventing the link.
bassman1977 is offline Find More Posts by bassman1977
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:11 PM
Fairview, California
Joined Jun 2003
388 Posts
This is probably stupid question, but did you bind the RX in the Cub to the 610 TX?
Rich Speroni is offline Find More Posts by Rich Speroni
Old Oct 12, 2014, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2014
6 Posts
No. That is what I am saying. I can't get it to bind to the cub rx at all.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 06:58 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,507 Posts
Linking and binding are different processes. Linking is the normal process of turning both receiver and transmitter on and having them communicate. Binding involves having the receiver learn what transmitter it should respond to. Before a receiver can link to a particular transmitter it must be bound to it. Look up the instructions for binding your radio.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:13 PM
Joined Oct 2014
6 Posts
I assure you, I have looked at the instructions. I have been researching this issue relentlessly for over a week. The only stones I haven't turned is getting assistance from forums (which I am trying to do now) and I am waiting to hear back from the vendor. Even the guys at the air field couldn't figure it out...but they weren't really familiar with that radio.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:26 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Linking and binding are different processes. Linking is the normal process of turning both receiver and transmitter on and having them communicate. Binding involves having the receiver learn what transmitter it should respond to. Before a receiver can link to a particular transmitter it must be bound to it. Look up the instructions for binding your radio.
While that is most likely true for Spektrum, both Hitec and Tactic use the term Link for what Spektrum calls Bind. So Linking is setting up the protocol exchange between the transmitter and receiver for these brands.

Note the 'Link' button on the Tactic receiver.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:14 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,507 Posts
Fair point about the terminology. I had forgotten that Tactic use "link." But the point remains that it was not clear what the poster understood about the process or had done to try to achieve a connection.

Binding/linking should be a simple process and always has been in my limited exposure to Tactic radios (I have AnyLink for a couple of little ones and have been a flying instructor for several people using Tactic).

Two suggestions to the poster:
1. Change your title to mention Tactic (to attract those best able to help).
2. Describe exactly the process you have used to achieve link.

It looks to me to be very likely that you have a defective transmitter, but that way you will make sure you have exhausted the possibilities.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:30 PM
Joined Oct 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
It looks to me to be very likely that you have a defective transmitter, but that way you will make sure you have exhausted the possibilities.
At this point I am going to have to agree with you that it is the transmitter. It's not completely defective as it works perfectly fine with my helicopters. But there definitely is something about the TR624 receiver that this transmitter does not like. I still haven't heard anything back from Hobbico at this point. I would love their input for sure. Wish I had another SLT radio to test with.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:01 PM
Fairview, California
Joined Jun 2003
388 Posts
Since you stated your heli's receivers linked OK. Maybe the TX needs to be in R0 mode to link the RA-624. After linking then flip to R1 mode.
Rich Speroni is offline Find More Posts by Rich Speroni
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:00 AM
Joined Oct 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Speroni View Post
Since you stated your heli's receivers linked OK. Maybe the TX needs to be in R0 mode to link the RA-624. After linking then flip to R1 mode.
That's an idea. I don't recall trying to link the RA-624 in R0. I'll give your suggestion a shot later today. If all else fails, I am going to try linking an old transmitter to an AnyLink2 and see what happens. I'll post my results when I have it figured out.

Oh...and for what it's worth, I got a 2nd plane this week that has the same RA-624 transmitter and got the same linking problem with it too. I'm convinced the transmitter has something screwy going on with it when it comes to airplanes.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:14 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,467 Posts
You did mean TR-624 receiver not transmitter, right?
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Oct 17, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Oct 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers View Post
You did mean TR-624 receiver not transmitter, right?
Yes. I do that constantly.

In other news, I got my Tower Hobbies System 3000 transmitter to connect to the TR-624 receiver using the AnyLink2 module. I did it over lunch so I didn't have enough time to try Rich's suggestion with the Tactic TX-610 transmitter yet. Tonight probably.