HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:14 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Build Log
F16 1/8 Scale EDF Build Completed

Seems like there is a lot of interest in the Byron F16 threads, and watching a few of you that have done a EDF mod made me start to get the interest back. I have been working on the wings and fuse parts for about a month and a half now. I think this will be a great jet with a few upgrades do to the size and room inside the fuse. I built the fuse tooling from a Byron fuse back in the 80's, I have made some modification on the airfoils of the wings and stabs. Still using the root sections and mostly changing the tips which I think will increase the performance envelope.

Heres a couple pics.
imacswd is offline Find More Posts by imacswd
Last edited by imacswd; Jun 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:24 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Made a mock up, for fuse mods
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:32 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Joiner rods for Wings & Stabs. The wing Joiner is solid carbon and the stab shafts look just like a Align 500 main shafts.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:40 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
These are Plugs for the Wings & Stabs. Was going to do a full set but settled on one offs. Figured might as well focas on one set and get them perfect. Working on the layup molds, should be making parts by the end of the month.

Came out great.
Last edited by imacswd; Sep 17, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 03:22 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Here is a pic of the tooling to date. Been working on the layup every night. It's a good idea to only add 2 to three layers at one time and allowing it to cure over night. They will tell you Epoxy has no shrinkage but have found other wise. Still a lot better than poly.
Last edited by imacswd; Sep 17, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 05:08 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,439 Posts
Subscribed. Very nice work. Looking forward to completion of the prototype.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Here is the mold for the Main gear doors. As soon as get my wings done and mounted, I will do a bag layup with carbon and finish cloth with a 3/32 balsa core. The plan is also to use Kevlar as the hinging on the doors. Will work similar to flaps on a molded sailplane. They will also be shaped as scale as possible. Still debating on the best way to open the doors, might try using micro servos instead of a air cylinders.

The main Gears are pictured as well. The wheels rotated and will have a lower profile. I'm planning on making another F-16 and want to use electric gears. More to come
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:45 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Here is a pick of the gears going into this project
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Something that cought me was the size of the wing compared to my Skyhawk.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:18 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
taking the byron way past the next level! sale gear! awesome!

i see you have the later style stabs, did you just cut the corner off the byron stab, or did you add to them like the real ones?

killer work by the way...the byron 16 is really quite scale once you ditch the cheater hole, and wire gear legs
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
685 Posts
Subscribed, Fabulous work! I look forward to following your progress. I too am slowly working on a Byron F16 rebuild, E conversion and your work is very inspiring. I want to use electric retracts instead of air, what brand are the struts you are using? they look very scale. Greg
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:23 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
The Stab airfoil is very close to the stock version, I cut the notch out to make it more scale. I can make the molded one as strong as the glassed stock version just a lot lighter. My thinking on this is to get one in the 11 pound range, not sure it will happen but should be pretty close with this gear setup.

The only thing I wish I had are lighter shafts. Only thing I could find that had bearings. Not the lightest thing but it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
taking the byron way past the next level! sale gear! awesome!

i see you have the later style stabs, did you just cut the corner off the byron stab, or did you add to them like the real ones?

killer work by the way...the byron 16 is really quite scale once you ditch the cheater hole, and wire gear legs
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:40 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Hi Greg

The mains came from an RC Groups member. Not sure who made the Main but they look like a older version Jet Legend gear. The nose gear I ordered from Jet legend a few months ago, I was looking forever for something that would lay flat. Going to make an intake ducting that will go around the gear box assy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
Subscribed, Fabulous work! I look forward to following your progress. I too am slowly working on a Byron F16 rebuild, E conversion and your work is very inspiring. I want to use electric retracts instead of air, what brand are the struts you are using? they look very scale. Greg
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,439 Posts
Retracts look great. What brand are they and where did you get them?

Thanks,
Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
505 Posts
Try:

http://jetlegend.com/index.php?Page=27

Amazing machine work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
Retracts look great. What brand are they and where did you get them?

Thanks,
Ed