HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:14 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2011
594 Posts
Frankg and all on this forum,THESE posts and others,say it all,TRUE I am intimidated to post as I see the work presented on many of this groups forums.However, as a regisered learner,I don't always loggin to follow my masters,HOWEVER you have given me the "kick"in the lazy cells to work on my "static"projects.They are not RC,but maybe a subline? Don't Know all this yet! my e-mail is.. haxsawelc@aol.com ( I only know how to send pics from phone to my email then forward to you.) subjectline:RCG photos Reply
haxawsnavy is offline Find More Posts by haxawsnavy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wild cat almost tamed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:02 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,349 Posts
Rich,

Well said .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:26 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Regatta Competitions vs. Something Else

As a kid we spent endless hours turning a friend's back yard into a dazzling miniature world of rivers, lakes, stick and mud bridges, forests, and roads on which to play with our toy trucks, boats. I never thought about my friend's parents water bill to feed our river system and lakes. We had sweeping forest fires, dam breaks and re arranged a few tons of dirt in our engineering efforts every summer. Maybe it's time to revisit these kinds of things that inspire people to create, invent, scheme, and build models with friends. There is nothing wrong with competition, but I often wonder what a group could do to get back to this type of fun play with our hobby... Maybe those who sit on the sidelines in this and other forums might be inclined to step in and get their hands wet. It's the Pied Piper effect. If you see someone else having fun doing something that invites participation, you might want to join in. It is thrilling to see grown men wading around in an indoor pool setting up and running an offshore drilling operation before an attentive crowd as I've seen in Europe. We are loosing our appeal to the next generation of model ship/boat builders. There are many reasons for this loss, but we could try to make our tiny little corner of the hobby world a lot more fun for a lot more people. I want to tell a story. I want to see others join in to add, embellish, and enrich that experience. What I'm suggesting is something between a fun float and a competitive regatta. I don't know what it might be, but I do know that it is easy to suck people into what you are doing if done the right way. A great example- Living in Hawaii for 17 years meant going to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I became pretty good at building sand castles. Starting off at 10am in the morning on fantastically beautiful Bellow's Beach, I start piling up sand. By noon a few kids began to notice my growing city of sand and looked longingly at it wishing they could pick up a tool or bucket and join in. I was happy to hand them a pile to tools and let them go at it. By 4pm I'd have a crew of 10 kids and a sprawling and amazing sand city! Sometimes other family members joined in. It was great fun. That's what I'd like to see us try, tell a story, play out a drama on the pond, hand a transmitter to a bystander and encourage them to join the fun. This is long, but I sure would love to see a bunch of modelers try something in this spirit. If what we do is not fun enough to draw in new blood, some of us might want to step out of the mainstream and get creative about how to move our hobby into a new era.

Snagboat Mike
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:46 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
In WIRED (one of the world's most popular tech magazines/sites) they have a recurring theme about the most effective toys for younger children to learn and build their worlds with. Some of the most effective and inexpensive are; stick, rock, dirt, and water. Now this is a tech magazine and while they did it with sarcasm they admit that playing with things like that required imagination, engineering (if you are building something with it), and is what kids have been playing with for millennium.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,786 Posts
In reading some of the posts in this thread, while I agree with most, I think we are getting away from what my original intent was. We have already a captive audience, in that some of the ones of whom I speak, have already replied to my original request, as to posting of some of their projects here on the forum.

I the idea of how to get more people interested in the hobby has been addressed here on the forum as well as numerous clubs around the country, who are suffering from falling membership. No one, as of yet, has really solved the on going problem. To open that kettle of fish, about how to increase membership in a club, has at some of our club meetings, almost lead to shouting matches. After trying for so many years of promoting are club to the public to hopefully increase membership, has left a lot of our club members tired and to some extent “taken the fun “ out of attending events or even meetings.

The one thing that was brought up, which I can identify as being true, is that there are a lot more closet modeler builders out their than you may think, who like to sit on the sidelines and watch the parade, or in this case BOATS, go by. To them I say welcome to the forum, and if the mood ever hits you to share, we will be waiting with open minds and arms.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:52 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookpilot View Post
As a kid we spent endless hours turning a friend's back yard into a dazzling miniature world of rivers, lakes, stick and mud bridges, forests, and roads on which to play with our toy trucks, boats. I never thought about my friend's parents water bill to feed our river system and lakes. We had sweeping forest fires, dam breaks and re arranged a few tons of dirt in our engineering efforts every summer. Maybe it's time to revisit these kinds of things that inspire people to create, invent, scheme, and build models with friends.
Thanks for reviving a memory, Mike- Brought a smile to my face. I did similar things with friends when I was a kid.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2006
895 Posts
now if you asked a kid to build a kit most look at you like your an alien heck my wife doesn't understand why I don't buy a boat already done. its a shame they wont know what its like to create something instead of playing video games all day.
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,131 Posts
Non Competitive / PR Events

Mike, I know that most of the guy's that you, and I know, do display / interaction with the public, type events every year. Weather it be a display at a hobby show, or in coordination with some civic event. I have stood at event's for 2 days, and answered question's about all sort's of things in our hobby. If we have a pond, we do running demonstrations, and I enjoy doing these events. Even at competition events, we answer questions, if we are not up to run. I know 2 model boating buddies, that a one time, were on the outside, looking in. Now they are a threat to win, at any event. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:24 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
I have no club...Im a modestly novice at boat building..I totally suck at drive line,

to be quite honest..this place fits me..

On the whole Boats@RC groups,it appears that the playing field is equal..its not about whole can build a better project or who can pump $5k into a model..its about promoting the hobby, sharing knowledge, having fun with it..

I like it ..
Glad I joined
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:57 PM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,113 Posts
I'm in . . .
Hi everyone. I have been a silversmith/goldsmith for the past 38 years, and I am now semi-retired. My wife and I moved to a 55+ community last year, where I joined a small 'Yacht Club'! We have two small lakes here, where we bring our boats to run, in our golf carts. I have been building my first kit, which is the Boothbay Lobster Boat. After 3 months of building(and sanding), I am getting ready to prime the hull. I can't wait to finish this project because it is all in preparation to gain the skill and confidence to build the Legend Model, 'Miss Behave'. I visit this site everyday, and I have learned so much while enjoying many hours reading your discussions and builds. Thanks for the good times, and I plan to participate regularly. I will also start posting some photos soon. By the way, Rich(frankg) your a gem and we are all lucky you are here. Thanks for the push to be active here. Can't wait to place my order!
STONECRAB is offline Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:07 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Welcome Barry.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:59 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,814 Posts
Rich, I know from meeting you and dealing with you at M.A.C.K. that you are one of the "good guys" but for myself I don't find the Dock Talk forum always that warm and welcoming to newbies. I personally find it more so on the scale boat forum where I post more often. When I have posted here I don't get much interaction.
One of my first posts here was with a pic of a ARTR that I had modified and a respected veteran member took shots at it, so sometimes you do get bitten.
I first BUILT boats both real (first in 1940's) and models (RC was in it's infancy with pulse control) before many here were born and then was away from it for years. That artr got me back into rc boats and now I have built 7 RC boats in the past 2 years either from kits or starting with glass hulls. I have never been able to find other RC boaters close by so I joined a club that I travel a good distance (with tolls) to run boats with. I sail alone at local parks also and have given the controls to youths from 5 to 18 to spark their interest in the hobby. At 80 years of age I need to help find those to carry the torch
Hope to be able to renew aquintances if you visit WRAM. I will be with the Empire State club on Friday and Sunday.

Bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:47 AM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,113 Posts
Thanks, MILLERTIME.
Does anyone know if photos can be posted from an iPhone?
STONECRAB is offline Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:14 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,092 Posts
Never to old to start, my son age 46 has become interested in model boats. So far he has built 3 Midwest sail boats and one Freedom song schooner. He is now building a Mayflower. He took my advice( that's a first) and got each kit a little more complexe than the last. They are static models but he is proud of them as he should be. The thing is, as above, it's never to late. I have built models for over 60 years and love to help others anyway I can( yes I understand that I can sound like a smarta---- know it all) I have some old kits and plans and a bit of knowledge and enjoy passing them on, then seeing them built in the forums. I look at the forums every day and can't wait to see what new boat or technique others come up with. My work is ok but if you look close they don't come anywhere near alot of the boats on the forum. but they satisfy me
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:39 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,814 Posts
Quote:
My work is ok but if you look close they don't come anywhere near alot of the boats on the forum. but they satisfy me
Mine to Charlie! Maybe thats one advantage to old eyes like ours!
Bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor