HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:48 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe an ESC is full power all the time, it is just how often it 'pulses' that gives the motor RPM. I hope that you can get the airflow to solve it, or maybe 3 cell is enough with taht motor. Interested too see your outcome! Good luck with that.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe an ESC is full power all the time, it is just how often it 'pulses' that gives the motor RPM. I hope that you can get the airflow to solve it, or maybe 3 cell is enough with taht motor. Interested too see your outcome! Good luck with that.

Fred
Well, they are at full voltage all the time, but "off time" actually builds heat faster than "on time" so running at say 40% to 60% power produces more heat than running wide open from what I read.

I`m sure 3s will be plenty of power for fun fast flight,,,, 4s is more for just high speed, but I wanted to test it at full weight, and was very surprised by the heat issue. I`ll get the esc some air and that should fix it.

On a positive note, the new jet handles very nicely with no bad habits so far. It`s very smooth, and landing, even dead stick, is very predictable and easy to judge. Also is was a nice sunny day, and the yellow paint made it easy to see.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Nice! What do you think the wing area/loading is?
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:59 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,226 Posts
I'll calculate those numbers and post them.

Wing area is approx 150 sq in and the weight on 4s is 150g, so that will give you some idea.

If there's some interest, I'll draw up some plans and post them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Ah, thanks. That seems like a very light wingloading though, so it should probably glide like crazy. The wingloading on my jet would be about 6 times that! (Not including the rear wings) Hmm, might get interesting...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzie View Post
Ah, thanks. That seems like a very light wingloading though, so it should probably glide like crazy. The wingloading on my jet would be about 6 times that! (Not including the rear wings) Hmm, might get interesting...
Yes, it does glide very well and it takes some planning to get it slowed down for landing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
That is a sweet bird man. Could it be scaled up for 70mm
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
That is a sweet bird man. Could it be scaled up for 70mm
Thanks, yes it will easily scale up. I`ll be working on some "plans" soon. They will be drawn on 1/4" graph paper. That way they can be printed, and easily enlarged to the size desired.

A 70mm size will be a little more complex, because it needs an airfoil instead of just a flat surface.

I`ll be doing a build thread in the regular EDF section that will be a 70mm size. When I get it going, I`ll make sure to put a link here, so that anyone interested can jump over to the 70mm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:56 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,226 Posts
Plans?

Would something like this be usable as plans? It`s "drawn" on 1/4" graph paper, so to get actual size you could print it and then enlarge as needed to get the squares to equal 1/4".

I just printed it from here and what I get is slightly more than 1/2 size. If I could enlarge it by 182% it would give me the correct size plans. I don`t do CAD drawing, but this is something that I could do fairly easily if there is enough interest. So let me hear from those who are interested.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Would it go together like a box type fuesalage?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,226 Posts
Yes, I can also do a top view, and the wing layout.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Cool, plans and drawings are always nice to see. ^^
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:43 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,226 Posts
Power system progress

My stock motor that I had been running at about 165w on 4s burned out a couple of weeks ago. First I thought it was the esc, but it was the motor.

Since then I`ve been trying to do a rewind on the motor. Using research done by Dave "Nitro Charged" I knew that the stock motor used 9 turns of #30 wire. I only had #28 wire on hand so I tried that. Could only get 6 turns on it. I think that would make a powerful 3s motor, but I want to run 4s.

I could only find #30 locally at Radio Shack....yuck, not good quality wire, but decided to give it a try. It took me 3 tries to get one without a short, but when I did, the results were worth the effort.

I used 8 turns of the #30 wire. The results in the stock 35mm SA fan with the 5 blade rotor is just under 13a on 4s which results in about 180w. It gets pretty hot (my thermometer needs batteries), but I think it will hold up if I`m careful.

I`ve also ordered some high quality #29 wire. I think I`ll be able to get 8 turns of that on the stator. That should make a killer 4s motor for the SA fan. Dave is using only 7 turns on his, for a higher kv, but that is for a 30mm fan.

So, this weekend I`m going to swap the new fan assy into the Nano so that I can see what it will do with 180w. So far I`ve only been able to fly it on about 80w. It`s pretty quick, but with over twice the power, things should get much more interesting.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Will for sure need a top layout as well. Wings are the easiest. The rest of it is more difficult. If it goes together like a box, you can do the wings seperate, and then folks can either do a flat with or with an airfoil based off that. For the fueslage, the side view, 2 parts will need to be cut, a left and right, and then of course a bottom and top piece. Your removeable canopy won't be as simply though as I'm fairly certain you sanded that to shape? I was almost gonna try to replicate your plane just based off top and side view pics of it. The wings, and vertical stab will obviously be easy as they are flat. The two fuesalage sides will also be fairly easy minus the back where it all comes together to make the fan holder. The bottom will also be easy. The top is more difficult. The nose cover is fairly easy to make from just a small curved piece of foam, but the canopy is not quite as easy. It is a beautiful plane and I love your work. I'd love to have one to fly. I've got a 3000kv motor coming for a pusher that needs a home. I also have a 70mm fan that I could remove from a plane also to power this.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,226 Posts
Here are some pics from early in the thread, with detail of the hatch. This was how it started out, but I decided to abandon the full fuselage jet for various reasons. So I used the balsa section of the fuselage to build the balsa Nanospot. Let me know if you need more information than this.

I`ll also post the exact wing layout.
RCG Plus Member