HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:24 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Question
72 MHz antenna question.

I'm putting together a 48" EPP flying wing and the plans show the receiver going in the middle with the antenna running out to one wing tip. Since the antenna is longer than 24" there will be some hanging out the tip.

I could keep the entire antenna within the wing if it were attached to the receiver in the center, in sort of a "Y" configuration.

Anyone know what the ramifications of this are? Or what rules I need to follow?

Jim
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,487 Posts
Jim:

I have an Alula, and the antenna on that one goes outboard along the spar, then back in board along the aileron hinge. In my DLGs, when I was still using 72, I let the antenna dangle out the back. Some people wind it around a soda straw inside the fuselage, and I once recieved a little bobbin-like device, and the idea was to wind it around that.

Just don't bunch it up, and you should be fine. Do a range check before flying.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,115 Posts
I've flown with part of the antenna near the receiver coiled up like that. Worked fine for me, not clear to me if it matters what receiver so range check of course. I also used a "base loaded" antenna meant for rc cars for some years in an hlg that was often flown pretty far out. No trouble. YMMV
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim View Post
I could keep the entire antenna within the wing if it were attached to the receiver in the center, in sort of a "Y" configuration.
This won't work.Think of the signal as a standing wave of voltage along the antenna wire. The wire is dimensioned so that the nodes of maximum voltage are at the tips of the wire, at the middle the voltage is zero. You wouldn't get any signal if you connect the rx feed there. It is possible to construct a center-fed antenna, but it will need to be dimensioned differently than a simple dipole. I haven't researched this enough to give any specific design data - if you'd like to try it, I'd recommend asking in the electronics or radios forum.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:42 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
888 Posts
I just used to run it out toward one tip then back toward the other. Generally with a faomie you are far from stretching the range so worked fine.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:53 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
I've had a 48" combat wing and an electric flying wing, and set both up similar to what lesterpk's drawing shows. Never had a problem.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:08 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Well alrighty then - looks like I'll just be running it out and back.

Thanks!
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,487 Posts
GliderJim:

What I did with the Alula is almost exactly what lesterpk shows.

I'd say you're good to go.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang