SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:43 PM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
More down elevator!

First, are your flaps on an on/off switch or are the on a linear control?

I presume you are only engaging flaps at low speeds. There is no reason to engage flaps at high speeds under normal circumstances.

All testing should be done at 50 to 100 feet up.

Add 5 more points of down elevator and try again. Then repeat that till the glider continues to fly level or slightly nose down. This is strictly a trial and adjust process till you get it right.
Flaps are on a switch but slow speed on. Yes deploy at slow speed. I have heard that sometimes deploying full flaps are less apt to cause ballooning??? I will start by more down elevator as suggested. I guess i am concerned because the flap to down elevator is about the same ratio as i have use used on many airframes with good success. Thanks for the suggestions!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
More down elevator!

First, are your flaps on an on/off switch or are the on a linear control?

I presume you are only engaging flaps at low speeds. There is no reason to engage flaps at high speeds under normal circumstances.

All testing should be done at 50 to 100 feet up.

Add 5 more points of down elevator and try again. Then repeat that till the glider continues to fly level or slightly nose down. This is strictly a trial and adjust process till you get it right.
Agreed, and the further back your CG is, the more pronounced the pitchup. I have my CG on the front edge of the spar (which is just slightly behind the recommended CG) and it seems to fly pretty nicely.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:52 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proline1 View Post
Flaps are on a switch but slow speed on. Yes deploy at slow speed. I have heard that sometimes deploying full flaps are less apt to cause ballooning??? I will start by more down elevator as suggested. I guess i am concerned because the flap to down elevator is about the same ratio as i have use used on many airframes with good success. Thanks for the suggestions!
% will vary by radio, by plane, by CG and by % flaps.

I have 3 Supras. I have no idea if the % are the same for each. I only know that I tuned them all the same way and I test and adjust till I get it the way I want.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 06, 2014, 05:03 PM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
CG slightly nose heavy and flys very well. Understand that they all need to be tweaked. I will continue to dial in more down elevator as flaps are pretty conservative at this point. Probably over concerned about this situation but the ballooning just seemed WAY too much... Thought there might be a "sweet spot" that i could dial in. Thanks again!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2004
145 Posts
Has anyone used a JR 10X or XP9303 to fly this glider? If so, I need assistance on the programming for either transmitter.
flycatch is online now Find More Posts by flycatch
Last edited by flycatch; Oct 22, 2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:16 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,301 Posts
If you don't want to get fancy, just set it up in airplane mode with the flaps on a slider.

About the only thing you'll need is some throttle to down elevator mix.

If you want to remap the throttle so the flaps are on the throttle stick, or full wing camber or crow (which you don't really need), then you'll have to do some tinkering.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Oct 23, 2014, 08:58 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
533 Posts
http://www.rcsoaring.com/docs/9303knight.pdf
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:23 PM
Joined May 2004
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
That is the information I will be using on the 9303, thank you.
Last edited by flycatch; Oct 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:25 PM
Joined May 2004
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
If you don't want to get fancy, just set it up in airplane mode with the flaps on a slider.

About the only thing you'll need is some throttle to down elevator mix.

If you want to remap the throttle so the flaps are on the throttle stick, or full wing camber or crow (which you don't really need), then you'll have to do some tinkering.
I'll take your advice and set the 10X in quad wing mode.