SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
nothing wrong with Walkera , ive flown them since i started 7-8 years ago , my first heli was the 36, most problems stemmed from people who believed RTF meant take it out the box and stick a battery in or very bad routing ( aerial wire near motors and esc etc causing interference). Overall although they dont use the best quality materials if you know what you are doing then they produce decent cheap helicopters ( well, they used to until they started hiking the prices up to what they are today)
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:53 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
nothing wrong with Walkera , ive flown them since i started 7-8 years ago , my first heli was the 36, most problems stemmed from people who believed RTF meant take it out the box and stick a battery in or very bad routing ( aerial wire near motors and esc etc causing interference). Overall although they dont use the best quality materials if you know what you are doing then they produce decent cheap helicopters ( well, they used to until they started hiking the prices up to what they are today)
Well, RTF means Ready To Fly. It seems a safe assumption that it should be... well... ready to fly. Any aircraft I have bought RTF has flown out of the box, as it should be. They should make a new class just for Walkera: RTFAMA; Ready To Fly After Major Adjustments (AKA: I wish they had just let me put it together so I don't have to take it all the way apart and then put it back together)

I guess I get this by coming from fixed wing, in fw my experience is that it will fly just fine out of the box and you just need to make adjustments to make it suit your individual flying style. RTF planes don't require threadlocker on every piece, and are not known to fall into pieces if you try flying them out of the box lol
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:59 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Ready to Fly means you dont need anything else other than whats in the box ( except batteries for the tx ) its all there.

I used to work for 3 shops building helis , no matter how good a job i did building, trimming, testflying ( which i did on every single model no matter the cost) once mr postman had done his job they were always a little out of trim or may even have had broken parts.

Planes were the same to a point , its simple enough to ready the HK forums lol of planes packed in styrofoam yet still arrive broken.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:59 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,702 Posts
Helis are come complex than fixed wing. If you fly helis, Threadlock is a must. Some folks are going to bicker at everything they can. Some times on a heli a simple adjustment makes a big change. Then again sometimes just bad Q/C.
Just ordered a U- 816 from T-mart and should have it by early next week. My second V929 should arrive any day as it shipped July 19. Quads are mucho fun but little tricky as rudder really is quick.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:26 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Just got back from checking out a v-22, and damn that thing is impressive. Got to take a look around the cockpit and inside, and when I asked the pilot in command if I could fly it he told me I could, under the condition that I could figure out how to start it
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:31 AM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
Just got back from checking out a v-22, and damn that thing is impressive. Got to take a look around the cockpit and inside, and when I asked the pilot in command if I could fly it he told me I could, under the condition that I could figure out how to start it
Get to it, then ;p
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:56 AM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
Pretty awesome sight when there are three flying in a column formation. But man, they make such a unique sound in flight as one, when there are three making rounds in my town....be sure to put the fine chinaware up, cuz the house is quakin!
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this explosion of micro-quads impacts interest in FP helis. You won't find any FP heli that has the performance range or response speed of a quad. I think as long as the toy makers continue to make copies of the Ladybird and MQx, with various levels of QC, they will eventually just become a novelty market. But, if they get serious about offering some better products, we may see another market shift, something like the shift away from conventional FP helis to the much easier 45° flybar design.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:12 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
I am talking about the time even before the 36, before they produced any CPs. That was when Walkera was famous for cloning a Korean ornithopter which they called the Eastern Dragon.I ordered $500 worth of samples of different products from them then with the view of setting up an online shop. However, I gave up when I couldn't fly any of them. The closest one was probably their clone of the Honey Bee FP. I couldn't get the Eastern Dragon or one of their planes to fly.

So they either made dud products or cloned other manufacturer's products then. Fast forward to today and now they are possibly the second largest victim of cloning after Align.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Aug 04, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:22 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Well, RTF means Ready To Fly. It seems a safe assumption that it should be... well... ready to fly. Any aircraft I have bought RTF has flown out of the box, as it should be. They should make a new class just for Walkera: RTFAMA; Ready To Fly After Major Adjustments (AKA: I wish they had just let me put it together so I don't have to take it all the way apart and then put it back together)
My experience with RTF heli's are that they are normally not ready to fly: I have a Hirobo coaxial (was indeed ready to fly), Esky coaxial (blades needed tightening), GWS 90 degree flybar FP (gyro gain and mixing needed lots of adjusting, blades unbalanced enough to shake the swashplate apart instead of lifting off).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:22 AM
Spain, CL, Valladolid
Joined Oct 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It will be interesting to see how this explosion of micro-quads impacts interest in FP helis. You won't find any FP heli that has the performance range or response speed of a quad. I think as long as the toy makers continue to make copies of the Ladybird and MQx, with various levels of QC, they will eventually just become a novelty market. But, if they get serious about offering some better products, we may see another market shift, something like the shift away from conventional FP helis to the much easier 45° flybar design.
If these quadcopters have 3-axis gyro, I donīt know why there arenīt a lot of flybarless FP $50 helis in the market, as a flybarless version of the V911/9958.
flyerinside is offline Find More Posts by flyerinside
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:28 AM
Spain, CL, Valladolid
Joined Oct 2011
203 Posts
The 45š auto-stabilization system is very annoying for some users like me: these helis fly like they are hanged from ceiling. A cheap flybarless FP heli would be a good deal. Naturally it is more complex than the quadcopters, but no more than a 45š flybar heli.
flyerinside is offline Find More Posts by flyerinside
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:57 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
I've bought a few RTFs and BNFs in the past and I never fly without going through the whole all of the parts and doing a thorough range check before ever trying to lift it off the ground. No matter which manufacturer makes it.
The idea of receiving a perfect aircraft ready to fly at your door is a great idea but it's far from being a perfect world... the workers probably haven't seen one of their models fly before...and even IF the models were assembled properly, they still have to travel hundreds and thousands of miles to get to you...
I remember until very recently if I wanted to fly anything I had to build it for at least a few days..and THAT was a big improvement over the kits!
so... enjoy the process..it's a GREAT time to be in the hobby!
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinside View Post
The 45š auto-stabilization system is very annoying for some users like me: these helis fly like they are hanged from ceiling. A cheap flybarless FP heli would be a good deal. Naturally it is more complex than the quadcopters, but no more than a 45š flybar heli.
There are several flybarless FP micro helis already and they are considerably more difficult to fly than the 45° offset flybar models. The much higher headspeed and direct linkage means they respond much faster and there is no movement damping. A quad is actually easier to start with. But, you do make a very valid point.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,658 Posts
A quick test to see how heavy a load my U816 can take. I already managed to fly with a 17g 808 #1 on it at 90% throttle, so how much spare capacity was there?

Similar to how I did it with the v929, I put a rubber band around it to attach it to the scales, then put it on full throttle and zeroed the scales. Then when the throttle is closed, the scales shows the amount of extra weight now not being lifted any more.

The answer is 24g. After about 6 minutes flying this was tested again and showed 16g, so a 17g camera could only be carried for the first few minutes of flying, unless the case and battery were removed, which gets it down down to about 8g.

It maintained the 16g lift until about the last 10 seconds of battery life, when it dropped fairly slowly down to zero.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan