HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:26 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I think micro rc gliders are a great idea. I saw this video and thought to myself about trying something like this.

Guy slope soaring off a building

This video had me think how cool it would be to have a smallest slope contest and oddest slope contest. With the right conditions you should be able to fly off some unusual lift sources.

Then there is artificial slopes like this....

http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/airSurfKit/index.htm
Most inspiring. The parking lot I'm limited to for now has some interesting channels and architectural features. I've already found a couple of bubbles of lift while flying my Champ and UM T-28 that kept me going for a long time while carrying about an 'idle' power setting. As soon as the warm weather hits I'll be flying my Sky 500 there, and I suspect its bigger NE brother the Sky Surfer will be joining it, hopefully followed by the -21. If I can find a few persistent areas of lift it promises to be a lot of fun.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:42 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Here's some further info from Seth at HH, at the FAQ thread mentioned earlier:

What is a High-Start?: The hi-start is about 30 feet of rubber and 90 feet of string (approximately), so when its all said and done, you're probably starting out around 100-120 feet. I'm not a good sailplane pilot by any means, but off a hi-start launch, the absolute shortest I've flown it was about 20 seconds, but that was even with a couple of loops thrown in there as well. I've also had some flights where I have launched directly into thermals and flown for about 3-4 minutes off the hi-start. As I mentioned above, I really am not the best at searching for lift, or staying in it for that matter, so I was pretty happy with the result. The cool thing about this airplane is just the pure size of it. Just super cool to fly a sailplane at its size. We have done most of our test-flying here in Illinois (FLAT!), and it is an absolute ball of fun. We are very excited about the 'expansion' of the ultra micro line, if you will, with this cool little airplane. -Seth

It just illustrates you should be able to have tons of fun even in "the flatlands" with this little sailplane with just the hi-start. "Slope-on-a-rope" can be a thrill and the AS3X should make it even easier.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
I started off flying gliders 30 years ago. there was a large corn field next to my house and in the evening when things started to cool off I could catch some awsome thermals coming off that field and a near by patch of trees. As small and light as this little jewel is I would suspect it to be a good thermal rider
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:18 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,204 Posts
I for one am soooooooooo excited about the release of these two planes!!!
I've flown sailplanes of all types for about 30 years now, and this is SUCH a fantastic concept!!! With aspect ratio and wingloading of the ask 21 it should fly GREAT!!!!
But in a small compact size,,, and with the addition of 3x gyro should smooth out the twitchyness of a plane this small and light. I've thermalled my champ many times even alongside a radian for sometimes like 45 min,,, and often thought wouldn't it be great to have a high performance micro scale sailplane,,, and now they've done it!!!!!!
NICE job HH!!! I might have to get two of each of these!!!
I'm sooooo excited about these two planes!!! I can hardly wait!!!!
Come on HH!!!! How bout maybe a early release for once!! :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
What is a High-Start?: The hi-start is about 30 feet of rubber and 90 feet of string (approximately), so when its all said and done, you're probably starting out around 100-120 feet.
Oh cool, i was wondering about that and looked on their web site to see if the length was in the manual but the manual isn't posted yet. I was hoping for a short high start like that, my back yard is around 200' x 200' so it sounds like I can launch this back there That's outstanding, I used to fly sailplanes 20+ years ago and would like to play with them again but don't like the hassle of a long high start or the expense of a winch. But a small one in my backyard? Sign me up And the added bonus of being able to tow it behind the Carbon Cub (which is also a must-buy for me) is icing on the cake
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:14 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,724 Posts
I would want the option that the Cub will land by it self, so I can fly the glider!!
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
you know as small as the glider is you could probably use a fishing rod with a 4:1 reel as a winch
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:54 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
a mini winch would be cool, Hmmm.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
yeh,,take a cheapo 4:1 bait caster and add a $5.00 electric motor in place of the hand crank and there yah have a mini winch
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:13 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
Don't forget the mini turn around, parachute, and line retriever... for us old guys.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Last edited by gentle ben; Feb 04, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:33 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,803 Posts
this ASK 21 is a brilliant idea. I always wanted a micro glider but couldn't be bothered to build my own!
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:16 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
Don't forget the mini turn around, parachute, and line retriever... for us old guys.
Hmm...

I've got an old spinning reel with some very light monofilament on it just made for use as a line retriever. Almost no drag on launch.

I know if I go to all the trouble of setting it up the danged ASK-21 will stay up all day!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Now that I think of it, when I used to fly my Champ, I could get it really high, turn off the throttle and just fly it up there for a really long time with no power. I think this one will be worth a try, although it's still a long way to go before it is released.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Hmm...

I've got an old spinning reel with some very light monofilament on it just made for use as a line retriever. Almost no drag on launch.

I know if I go to all the trouble of setting it up the danged ASK-21 will stay up all day!

Pete
You know, I was thinking along those same lines. This could work. Now if someone could work out the particulars on the electric micro winch.

Ben
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:40 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Hey, do any of you think i could use my stryker as a trainer to learn how to find thermals?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower