SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
Discussion
1st Thread Intro and Hawk Sky Question

Hello everyone, I'm new to the RC world and I've lurked around this forum for a while but now I've decided to join.

I bought a hawk sky a few weeks back and my first flight was great and uneventful. A beauty to fly. However I got cocky and sort of hit (read full kamikaze) a light post doing banking maneuvers. Dusted it off, flew great for the rest of the day sans a bit of the nose. 2 weeks later I went out flying and for some reason I can't seem to get much roll authority from the ailerons. Elevator and Rudder are fine but once it goes up into the air, it doesn't want to roll very much. I have to fly it using the rudder and elevator like a 3-ch.

I'm flying at around 50%-60% throttle. My canopy flew off and got churned by the prop and chewed up by my dog so I wonder if the aerodynamics are off. Could a crooked nose really affect my roll? Do I need to be pushing 75%-85% throttle?

I don't know if anyone has had a similar issue with their hawk sky where the ailerons don't seem to move much with full left and right control input.
aeio540 is offline Find More Posts by aeio540
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:36 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeio540 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to the RC world and I've lurked around this forum for a while but now I've decided to join.

I bought a hawk sky a few weeks back and my first flight was great and uneventful. A beauty to fly. However I got cocky and sort of hit (read full kamikaze) a light post doing banking maneuvers. Dusted it off, flew great for the rest of the day sans a bit of the nose. 2 weeks later I went out flying and for some reason I can't seem to get much roll authority from the ailerons. Elevator and Rudder are fine but once it goes up into the air, it doesn't want to roll very much. I have to fly it using the rudder and elevator like a 3-ch.

I'm flying at around 50%-60% throttle. My canopy flew off and got churned by the prop and chewed up by my dog so I wonder if the aerodynamics are off. Could a crooked nose really affect my roll? Do I need to be pushing 75%-85% throttle?

I don't know if anyone has had a similar issue with their hawk sky where the ailerons don't seem to move much with full left and right control input.
Double check and see if the ailerons will take a "little" resistance when using on the ground. Just hold them and activate. I had the same problem and the outside of the ailerons wouldn't move much. They were broke loose in the joint. I added some tape and solved it.
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakine48 View Post
Double check and see if the ailerons will take a "little" resistance when using on the ground. Just hold them and activate. I had the same problem and the outside of the ailerons wouldn't move much. They were broke loose in the joint. I added some tape and solved it.
Checked to see if the ailerons will are still attached.

I sat down with my plane and watched the ailerons move. They barely move up and down. I think the manual calls for +/- 12mm-15mm travel but i am not getting anywhere near that. Also, there is a lot of clicking comic from both of the servos. Am I looking at the possibility of stripped servos?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:34 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Also, there is a lot of clicking comic from both of the servos. Am I looking at the possibility of stripped servos?
Hi check if yor pushrods moving free and try to unsrew the little screw that holds the servo arm to make it back to neutral position.
mad4planes is offline Find More Posts by mad4planes
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4planes View Post
Hi check if yor pushrods moving free and try to unsrew the little screw that holds the servo arm to make it back to neutral position.
Well I checked, did some aileron adjustments. Took plane out in 8-13mph breeze. Flew alright, I have to supplement with rudder to get it to rotate when the wind is blowing but atleast it was turning.

Does the Y-harness limit servo travel? <--Noob question
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:48 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Quote:

Does the Y-harness limit servo travel? <--Noob question
No shouldn,t at all or maybe if there is bad connection,try to check all yor connections,if not get cople of new servos.
One of my friends had fusion parkfun glider simular to hawk sky,and original servos wich was preinstalled in there was really bad so he changed them stright away.
mad4planes is offline Find More Posts by mad4planes
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:23 AM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
665 Posts
The ailerons should roll the plane just how they did before.. If not something is amiss..

Check and double check all control surfaces, hinges, push rods, servos, control horns, etc..

Something is off, find it and fix it.

Jim
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_hawk View Post
The ailerons should roll the plane just how they did before.. If not something is amiss..

Check and double check all control surfaces, hinges, push rods, servos, control horns, etc..

Something is off, find it and fix it.

Jim
I moved the pushrods connectors to give me maximum control throw. Are the 8.5g servos torquey enough? It flew alright yesterday.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:06 PM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
I moved the pushrods connectors to give me maximum control throw. Are the 8.5g servos torquey enough? It flew alright yesterday.
Are you using the Dynam tx/rx?

If so check the silver knob in the upper left corner, turn it to the full clockwise position and try the ailerons again. (This is your servo throw limiter)

Now, loosen the control horn nuts very slightly, just enough to allow them to rotate as the servo moves the rod. These are a big bind point. Put a small drop of CA on the nut to keep it from loosening further.

Let me know how this turns out.
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
Are you using the Dynam tx/rx?

If so check the silver knob in the upper left corner, turn it to the full clockwise position and try the ailerons again. (This is your servo throw limiter)

Let me know how this turns out.
I'm a bit red faced. Yup. That was the problem. Wow. I don't feel too smart right now.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:17 PM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
I'm a bit red faced. Yup. That was the problem. Wow. I don't feel too smart right now.
No worries, we've all been there.

Glad you got it solved.
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation