Old Jul 19, 2010, 04:48 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,835 Posts
Discussion
The passing of an AP maestro

http://www.bmfa.org/news/2010/07/02/...john-crampton/

I first met John just before he retired from Hawker Siddley (by that time British Aerospace) when he was flying RC floatplanes from the sea on the Isle of Wight. A real gentleman in an important top post, yet he was keen to answer questions from this upstart "oik" from the drawing office!

He introduced me to Aerial Photography in 1985, following his successful completion of the Daily Telegraph photo assignment with which he had been challenged. The photos they asked for included: The M25 orbital motorway under construction, Henley Royal regatta, Leeds Casle in Kent and the QE2 sailing from Southampton. To meet these challenges, he had designed an AP aircraft that would serve him well for many years. The camera was side mounted in the nose with shoulder mounted wing of around 6ft span. He experimented with a pylon mounted engine above the wing, which could be rotated up to give vectored thrust. Later, he fitted a variable pitch prop to explore steep approaches without high lift devices. Always ready to talk matters aeronautical, his home in Bookham was full of reminders of his career in aviation and his ongoing modelling activities. My favourite memory was at the conclusion of his AP slide show, when he declared that the one thing which you really need to succeed is one of these..the last picture was of him arm in arm with his wife!

He was an inspiration for my model and AP activities to come..John, I salute you, may you rest in peace!
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:53 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
An amazing chap. What a career.

I would have loved to have talked to him....

Paul.
English Electric is offline Find More Posts by English Electric
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:49 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,835 Posts
Yes, he was quite a character. He would have really enjoyed UKAP'10 although he subscribed to the Hogster view on camping!

Thinking about it, he was a SCRAPper before the term was defined! (Another Surrey lad )
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:30 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,440 Posts
What a fascinating life!

I can only reiterate Paul’s comments in wishing I had the chance to be able to talk with him.

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,382 Posts
Our prayers are with his family. Thank you for sharing!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird