SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:05 PM
let it fly!
Germany, Dieburg in Hessen
Joined Oct 2006
88 Posts
Discussion
What's more stable: 2 blades with flybar or 3 blades without???

Hello all -
Inspired by some successfull builds of multibladed rotorheads, I would like to design and build one myself.
The four blade design would probably the easiest one, since I would'nt need to modify the swash plate.
But the five bladed version I've seen from Super Hornet realy takes the cake. A three blade design would be great for a LAMA scale build

Here are two basic questions:
- What is based on your experience more stable in flight: a two bladed head with flybar or a three bladed one without the flybar?
- Am I right in the assumption, that (with the same headspeed) I need a shorter servo throw since my lift is higher?

Any input and/or other experiences are welcome.

Thank you,
EWo
EWo_Ge is offline Find More Posts by EWo_Ge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:20 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
Hi EWo_Ge

Thanks for the good words... have u seen my 6 bladed yet?

OK... for 2 bladed with flybar, it is the flybar+weight (weight from paddles) that behave like a mechanical gyro for the cyclics (both elevator and aileron). It looks simple but it get the job done pretty well.

So now if u were to compare 3 bladed with cyclics gyro...and assuming everything is done properly, I would guess it perform as good as 2 bladed with flybar.

Even 3 bladed without gyro is still flyable but the stability will loose out to with flybarred version BUT the stability is still better than 2 bladed flybarless...

Compare normal flybarred and flybarless with direct link, the "throw" for direct link will have high pitch changes to the blades (pitch in terms of collective and cyclic). That is why many who tried flybarless can tell u that the cyclic response is too sensitive if u just use normal settings. With that, u want to have small movement and finer resolution. To achieve that, u use shorter servo or/with higher Expo/Dual Rate.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Jan 25, 2007, 01:17 AM
Magic Blue Smoke costs to much
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2004
2,710 Posts
All this talk of multi blade heads, I want one but lack the brain cells.
jason H is offline Find More Posts by jason H