SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2010, 03:45 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
moparmyway, my Striker with all FPV gear is 33.6oz (954g) Would you consider this being heavy for a Stryker?

Cheers !
Not really, but I would still toss it like it was from short stop to first as you will probably have a "nose heavy" setup and alot more drag than a normal 34 oz Stryker would. To compensate for all of the cameras drag, what prop are you planning on running ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:56 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Not really, but I would still toss it like it was from short stop to first as you will probably have a "nose heavy" setup and alot more drag than a normal 34 oz Stryker would. To compensate for all of the cameras drag, what prop are you planning on running ?
Here's the setup I have right now, I only did stactic tests with the stock 6x4 prop.

Turnigy 2836-2350kv outrunner
Turnigy Plush 40Amps
Lipo: 3s1 20c 2200mah Zippy
Prop: 6x4
Amps: 34.05
Watts: 357.8

My goal is not to get the fastest setup but to be up in the air as long as possible without being ''boring''

What do you suggest as for which prop to use?

Cheers!
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:35 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Oct 2005
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
I got my Scorpion HK3026-1400kv motor mounted up this weekend to see how a big outrunner does on a Stryker.

I've been having an issue with the ESC timing using my Supersimple 100A on 7S, leading to a stuttering motor at high throttle settings. The motor has 10 poles, so it's a task for any ESC to pull all those magnets by that at high RPM.
So I got around that timing problem by just backing the throttle down in my travel adjust in the transmitter. So no stuttering in the motor for the flights. It was probably running about like it would on 6 cells.

I took it easy on the motor until I can get it running on the right type of ESC, but HOWWIE!!! It was still rippin'! I can only figure it'll be absolutely awesome when I'm able to run wide open on 7S or 8S!

I have a Castle Ice 100 on the way, as I figure it'll have the best chance of any for timing the motor correctly.

The other major To Do list project is to mount the motor so the shaft is coming out the end of the motor with the fan in it, so the part of the motor that's currently facing aft will be facing forward, allowing air to enter those holes and exit the fan end.

I want to say this is an awesome setup and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for big power, but it's a little premature at this point. I still have to fly it some more to make sure it doesn't burn up or throw magnets by the bell flexing with the prop spinning on it.

I'll keep us posted on the setup.
Stryker 2010 (1 min 55 sec)
Philld is offline Find More Posts by Philld
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:37 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philld View Post

HOLY DOG SHAT !!!!!!!!!!!
Murd...........................youre getting closer !!!!
VERY VERY NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:41 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Here's the setup I have right now, I only did stactic tests with the stock 6x4 prop.

Turnigy 2836-2350kv outrunner
Turnigy Plush 40Amps
Lipo: 3s1 20c 2200mah Zippy
Prop: 6x4
Amps: 34.05
Watts: 357.8

My goal is not to get the fastest setup but to be up in the air as long as possible without being ''boring''

What do you suggest as for which prop to use?

Cheers!
If you want a little more thrust with a little less speed, and a little more unloading in the air, try a 6.5x3.7 by APC. You will like the awsome thrust @ launch, and flying time will probably increase just a little.

NOTHING boring when flying FPV !!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2009
32 Posts
How many layers of fiberglass should you have on your motor mount area? I just put one layer on extending as far forward as the back of the hand-launching slots (wrapped around the back and goes that far forward on the top as well, will trim it later). Will the 1 layer be fine?
Unsullied_Spy is offline Find More Posts by Unsullied_Spy
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:03 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Quote:
If you want a little more thrust with a little less speed, and a little more unloading in the air, try a 6.5x3.7 by APC. You will like the awsome thrust @ launch, and flying time will probably increase just a little.

NOTHING boring when flying FPV !!!!!!!!!!
Where do you get these 6.5x3.7 ? All the shops I'm use to order at don't have them

Cheers!
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:39 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
HOLY DOG SHAT !!!!!!!!!!!
Murd...........................youre getting closer !!!!
VERY VERY NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hee! Thanks, Mopar. I was trying to keep the motor reigned in till I get my better ESC and data logging, but it just reached out there and beat my personal best without my permission!

I figured a 4mph tailwind on that pass based on consecutive passes in opposite directions to determine wind. So that would get 164 as the speed.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:41 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Hee! Thanks, Mopar. I was trying to keep the motor reigned in till I get my better ESC and data logging, but it just reached out there and beat my personal best without my permission!

I figured a 4mph tailwind on that pass based on consecutive passes in opposite directions to determine wind. So that would get 164 as the speed.
How is your stryker built up? Full Glass?
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:57 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
How is your stryker built up? Full Glass?
Yep, but it uses the method you've read about in the Ritewing thread with Henry's roofing fiberglass cloth bonded with 3m-90 adhesive. My last three planes have been glassed this way, and it is stinkin' tough. I don't think it is quite as rigid as equally weighted traditional fiberglass and epoxy, but I believe it is more impact resistant.

I also have four .30" carbon arrow shafts running as a tip-to-tip spar, a nose-to-tail fuselage support, and two in the stock rod locations near the leading edge.

This combination is keeping the plane straight at high speeds, even after two moderate crashes and countless high speed plops for landings.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:13 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,586 Posts
Murdnunoc, AWESOME SPEED! Congrats man, you are very very close to Mopar now

This outrunner thing is very intriguing, and appears to be working at least in the short term. It makes me interested in a couple tests that could be entertaining

1) Flipping the outrunner around. You already mentioned flipping the shaft. It would be cool to see you flip the motor behind the trailing edge to get the prop further away from the wing. Might get you a little higher prop efficiency, at least theoretically. Not sure if it would give you balance problems though?

2) Comparing efficiency (RPM). Not sure if either of you want to release your figures, but it would be very interesting to compare with Mopar prop for prop on power and RPM to determine whether the outrunner or inrunner is more efficient. It wouldn't be too difficult, run the outrunner up to max, see what kind of rpm you can spin the prop you have on it (assuming 6.5-7"?). Then see if Mopar has any close data figures with any of his inrunners...

Seems like a good learning experience. I can't wait to see how much you can wring this bad-boy out. It should be a party!

I might bring this to peoples attention. Some new Hyperion Outrunners released. Most notably is a 3032-4 (1545kv, .0065 resistance ). It should take HUGE power, and might just fit in the new customrc 28mm mount. If not im sure Murdnunoc can make it work
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:35 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
TheKid,
I played with the idea of the motor hanging off the back end and snapped a pic just in case someone brought it up. It hangs it REALLY far back there. Almost behind the fins!

I stuck the batteries in and it balances out fine with the motor way back there. That's the benefit of huge batteries. You can't have too big a motor!

The thing that concerns me about it is the leverage the prop and motor have to tweak the motor mount around. With the motor mounted more traditionally over the mount, the forces are more balanced out. If I get bored with the hacksaw, I may get a hybrid type mount going on that would move the motor back but still balance out the forces well.

I don't have all the tools necessary yet to make my power and prop figures too useful. I'm still kind of shooting from the hip .
I will be getting a data logger very soon. Tax refund! So that should get my data to the point where it could be shared to make meaningful comparisons.
Though, it's really going to come down to which outrunner and which inrunner. If we could find each type with the same KV and resistance, that would be a good test to see which one is better at whipping the prop around.

That Hyperion 3032 sounds nice! And huge! I was looking at the ZS3025-6, with resistance of .008. That's better than my Scorpion, but the Scorpion came up as a good deal, so I snagged it.
The 3032-4 should smash both of them, though. Maybe as my next outrunner project! Where are they available? I didn't see them on All-E-RC.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:56 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Great video Murdnunoc.

In less Exciting Outrunner news; The Turnigy 2836 series Outrunners will fit Gary's Mount with no modification!

After looking at it a little harder, I saw that I could cut my 3.5mm Bullets off the Motor wires and pass them through. Now I just have to solder new ones on and its ready to go.

The ARC 28-47-2170kv has kept its shaft intact after a few flights now, and I really like it on 4s with the Graupner Speed 6.5x6.5.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:27 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Yoshgixer... I was looking at the Scorpion 2221-10 and 2221-12 too, but I bought the Turnigy 2836 2350kv and the 3200KV (cost thing). But I'd still be interested in these motors for future projects. Will you let us know how it performs and what you think once you've had a few flights. Cheers
FYI

Running in my Skyfun Funjet 2221-08 scorpion with 6x4 prop full throttle 73 amps with fresh battery 203 km per hour, 2550ma 40c rhino 3s lipo

Samste
samste is offline Find More Posts by samste
Old Feb 03, 2010, 05:58 AM
Romford, UK
Joined Jun 2004
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
Great video Murdnunoc.

In less Exciting Outrunner news; The Turnigy 2836 series Outrunners will fit Gary's Mount with no modification!

After looking at it a little harder, I saw that I could cut my 3.5mm Bullets off the Motor wires and pass them through. Now I just have to solder new ones on and its ready to go.

The ARC 28-47-2170kv has kept its shaft intact after a few flights now, and I really like it on 4s with the Graupner Speed 6.5x6.5.
Good to know ender707.

Will I need a prop adapter for the Turnigy 2836 shaft to a APC 6x4 E or will it fit straight on?
Trancer is offline Find More Posts by Trancer