Old Nov 28, 2013, 09:04 PM
Where the Robots Roam
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Dec 2007
286 Posts
Discussion
SRV-II Submarine Kit

Hi All,
Has anyone had any experience with the new SRV-II Submarine Kit that seems to be an upgrade for the original SRV-I Submarine Kit.
This submarine is radio controlled, but probably could be easily converted to a tether. It has its own onboard batteries so the tether would be only for communication and video making it fairly light weight.
Shaneperch over on the Submarine Forum had started a SRV-I build thread, but never completed it. I have tried contacting him by email, but so far no response.
Regards,
TCIII
TCIII is online now Find More Posts by TCIII
Last edited by TCIII; Nov 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Always an afterthought:-)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2013, 05:50 PM
Where the Robots Roam
Joined Dec 2007
286 Posts
Hi All,

I have contacted Cliff Walker, the SRV-II manufacturer, and found that the SRV-II Submarine Kit can be purchased for $400, sans R/C equipment, + shipping.

I believe that this ROV cannot be home-built for the same price. Cliff claims that it can reach a depth of 100 ft without leaking. I think that this ROV could be a very viable basis for either a tethered or autonomous ROV.

As an autonomous ROV it could be guided by an APM (Ardupilot Mega) using the compass and IMU for navigation after taking a position fix with the GPS before diving. The deck on the ROV is big enough to support a sealed GoPro camera so that video can be recorded for a review after each waypoint mission.

On a tether it could use the APM to provide spatial stability and a FPV camera could be installed in the bow bubble window and transmitted up a two wire pair, using baluns, for viewing on the surface.

Regards,

TCIII
Last edited by TCIII; Nov 29, 2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Always an afterthought
Old Dec 07, 2013, 11:24 AM
Where the Robots Roam
Joined Dec 2007
286 Posts
Hi All,
After talking to Cliff Walker about his SRV-II Submarine Kit, I decided to order one and it should arrive here in Ft Lauderdale by late next Friday or perhaps a week from this coming Monday.
Cliff has been very helpful in explaining the assembly and operation of his SRV-II and I would recommend him and his products to anyone who is seriously considering putting together a quality ROV without having to go out and purchase all of the pieces individually.
Regards,
TCIII